PDA

View Full Version : New Live Rock - Bleach or Maintain in quarantine?

apex82
12-16-2010, 08:15 PM
75 gallon tank has approximately 40lb of nice established live rock, completely pest free. Purchased an additional 25lb used however after looking at it more closely it is completely covered in hundreds of i think bristleworms and a little aptasia. Since I am not the type that likes to spend hours a day maintaining and killing pests... what would you suggest?

Bite the bullet, bleach it for a few days, rinse and then let sit outside then put it in tank a week later? Will this be okay, or will it cause ammonia spike?

Or, inspect each rock one by one, kill any aptasia I see with lemon juice/needle sytinge, remove bristleworms with tweezers then place in saltwater tote. Reinspect again in a week and kill any more that resprout then place in display tank?

As of now, I am pest free and really like knowing that. I am very new to this but dont want to have to be killing aptasia every other day... Any advice?

Canadoc
12-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Hrmmm, I would suggest bleaching anything that goes in your tank to be a bad idea, even if you rinse it. Even tiny amounts of bleach can crater everything in there, and live rock is very porous, so basically impossible to rinse completely. I think a lot of people try baking their love rock, probably smells bad, but will sterilize for sure. Hope that helps!

Ross
12-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Just keep in mind that anything that you kill in the rock, will eventually rot in you tank unless you cook it. (not in the oven)

Aquattro
12-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Personally, I would love to buy rock covered in bristleworms!! Absolutely not pests in my books. And a little aiptaisia is nothing a filefish wouldn't cleanup in a few days.

naesco
12-16-2010, 11:02 PM
I would not kill the live rock because that defeats the purpose of having live rock.
I would kill the aiptasia as earlier posted than add it to your tank and add a peppermint shrimp to devour any that you have missed.
Slowly acclimate the peppermint.
Bristtleworms are good guys. They eat detritous, excess food and their eggs and offspring provide food for you coral.

apex82
12-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Alright I will inspect and kill as much aptasia I can, place in tote with heater and powerhead and reinspect in a week before putting in my display tank. I understand worms can be good... but seriously I am talking hundreds if not thousands on just 25 lb of rock...

Aquattro
12-16-2010, 11:10 PM
I am talking hundreds if not thousands on just 25 lb of rock...

Coming to Victoria at all?? :)