PDA

View Full Version : sink sump

TANGOMAN
12-16-2003, 02:02 PM
I'm looking for a way to reduce/eliminate the buildup of sand etc. in the house's plumbing system. I have one of those large plastic sinks down in the fish room. In the winter months, that is where I must rinse gravel, sand etc. The wife doesn't enjoy a gritty tub when she has a bath, even after trying to convince her it helps exfoliate the skin... :eek:
I'd like to devise a "settling chamber" prior to the drain stack. I've seen a unit at a local bottle depot that appears to be a settling unit but given the smell of those places, I'm always in a hurry to leave.
Has anyone played around with this concept ?

MitchM
12-16-2003, 02:24 PM
At my wife's dental office, I put in a "sediment trap" that is designed to stop fine dust from entering the plumbing system.
It's basically a bucket with a sealed lid and 2 pipes - one in and one out, with the bucket acting as a "P trap". Works like a charm.

Mitch

TANGOMAN
12-16-2003, 03:37 PM
That's kinda' what I figured would be an appropriate set-up...the traditional "p" trap isn't required provided the container is sealed and the "inlet" pipe is submerged ?
All the delicous odors won't be release until the container is opened. That'd be a good hang-over job for New Years day ! :drinking:

Mmmmm, dental sediment :eek:

MitchM
12-16-2003, 05:54 PM
Here's a couple of pics:
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=275&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=507

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=274&password=&sort=1&cat=507

Mitch

TANGOMAN
12-16-2003, 08:55 PM
Perfect !!! Thanks !
Are those bulkhead fittings ? Any baffles used in the bucket ?

MitchM
12-16-2003, 09:06 PM
Actually, we ordered the unit from a dental supply place in town.

And being associated with dental supplies, I'm sure it cost us an arm and a leg! :rolleyes:

It kinda reminds me of piping that you would use for RV plumbing.

Mitch

MitchM
12-17-2003, 12:15 PM
oh, and no baffles.

Mitch