PDA

View Full Version : Feather duster moving?

Magma
12-15-2010, 07:12 AM
I have a Hawaiian feather duster, purple one..and hes been in his tube where i put him in the tank for a month or more now, no problems comes out, looks pretty...today i look and his tube seems kinda deflated so i figure whatever its looked like that before, and sure enough a few minutes later hes out showing off, i check the tank like 3 hours later and hes not in his tube hes on the other side of the tank sticking out the side of some live rock...

can they move? i thought they needed to be in the tube at all times...and i checked again just after lights out and hes in a totally different spot again...(original tube i bought him in is still in the same spot in my tank, it has not moved at all.

is he sick? or just not going to cooperate and stay where i want him?

Ross
12-15-2010, 02:33 PM
I have a Hawaiian feather duster, purple one..and hes been in his tube where i put him in the tank for a month or more now, no problems comes out, looks pretty...today i look and his tube seems kinda deflated so i figure whatever its looked like that before, and sure enough a few minutes later hes out showing off, i check the tank like 3 hours later and hes not in his tube hes on the other side of the tank sticking out the side of some live rock...

can they move? i thought they needed to be in the tube at all times...and i checked again just after lights out and hes in a totally different spot again...(original tube i bought him in is still in the same spot in my tank, it has not moved at all.

is he sick? or just not going to cooperate and stay where i want him?

If there tube is placed in a location they deam unacceptable, they will leave the tube and find a new home.
Given enough time, they will construct a new tube.
They are pretty resilant animals, loose a crown, and they regrow that also.

I wonder if they are like earth worms, where if you cut it in half it will regrow all missing pieces...

Magma
12-15-2010, 03:05 PM
good to know just seemed odd that he waited over a month before moving...

paddyob
12-15-2010, 03:07 PM
good to know just seemed odd that he waited over a month before moving...

Just like an anemone.... sit in one place for ages... then one day... they up and walk around your tank for a new spot!

Reefs. Go figure.

lastlight
12-15-2010, 03:12 PM
I always thought it was a bad sign so I hope and trust you guys are right. I quickly noticed last night that mine which has also been happy since I set the tank up is not in his tube. My leopard wrasse sleeps directly beneath him in the sand so maybe he got tired of the fish diving under his home lol. I'm not as optimistic but I'll look for him today.

Magma
12-15-2010, 03:12 PM
thats another thing, everyone says nems move and will find there happy place, some take a long time to attach to a spot they like, well mine i droped him into the tank and within about 10min he was into a rock and hasnt moved since.