PDA

View Full Version : Zeovit 14day cycle question and 3hr on 3 hr off cycle

Delphinus
12-15-2010, 06:06 AM
http://www.korallen-zucht.de/en/service/initial-cycle-just-14-days/

So reading up the Zeovit 14 day tank cycle method I came across this little tidbit which had failed to make an impact the prior times I read it, but this time with bottles in hand, it made my eyes kinda bug out and my jaw drop..

8. Dosage
The addition of ZEObak, ZEOstart and Sponge Power can be started now.
ZEObak: 5 ml per 100 liters/25 gallons
ZEOstart: 10 ml per 100 liters/25 gallons
Sponge Power: 3 ml per 100 liters/25 gallons

Those aren't typos are they ?? I'm guessing not but hoooooleee, if one had a (say for complete hypothetical example) a 280g tank, that would be a full ~60ml of ZEObak, ~120ml of Zeostart and ~30ml of Sponge Power, or in other words about $125 of zeovit stuff ????? On DAY ONE???

Who's all done the "14 day Zeovit" cycling diet? Is it all it's cracked up to be?

Also, do they no longer recommend a 3 hour on / 3 hour off cycle for the reactor for when first starting up? I couldn't find any reference to it in the new guide (1.03). Did I overlook it?

BlueTang<3
12-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Yeah its costly when starting it up the 3 on and off is only for existing systems to prevent shocking stuff. For so,e reason when i did it i did drops not mls so it was not as bad as the way you read it :redface:

Delphinus
12-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Oh nuts. I spent all this time hacking up the reactor pump lines to get a check valve in there and I didn't actually need to ? Oh well, hehe, water under the bridge. Note to self: "check assumptions more before".

Tank cycled OK using just drops? Did it take any longer or did you push on ahead anyhow and things were OK?

BlueTang<3
12-16-2010, 04:57 AM
The vertex zeo reactor has a check valve to keep water in the reactor. I started it and was very happy with it i hardly noticed a cycle :wink:. If you do this cycle prepare for some of the nastiest algae you will ever see in a tank then boom gone. I would get like a few inches of growth on the windows a day. But it worked well never lost a thing when i moved my tank.