PDA

View Full Version : A return to reefing!

Ryan Joel Smith
12-14-2010, 11:41 PM
So i don't have too much to say BUT i just wanted to join the "i left and came back" club. Moving into a new house on the 20th and am setting up a 120g (w/50g sump) 5'x1.5'x2' as a room divider. My biggest tank prior to this way a 55gallon so i am having many sleepless nights knowing that i can finally setup a big tank because i finally own a home that i'm not going to leave for a long time "Lord willing" fingers crossed. Anyway, i should have everything up and running by Christmas and am hoping to get some water for seeding so anyone with large tanks that are commencing and water changes in the near future let me know.

Im really going to need some help rapping my head around mounting and completing my rockwork as it will be viewable from both sides of the tank. I want to run my reef right up the middle but am unsure of how to properly secure the rock. I have some ideas but i'm looking for some proven methods some of you have used.

Thanks for any help or insight,
glad to be back

(i guess it was only a 6 month sabbatical)

lastlight
12-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Welcome back I know that sweet feeling all too well and 6 months is not bad really!

Someone's old water isn't going to help you out much though. Very few bacteria colonize the water column. You're better off sourcing out some quality live rock from a nice healthy reef.

Lance
12-15-2010, 12:36 AM
As Mr Kotter would say: "Welcome Back"

mseepman
12-15-2010, 02:44 AM
Welcome back. I'm sure you'll love the room divider tank that lets you see both long sides.

BlueWorldAquatic
12-15-2010, 03:30 AM
damnit!!!

I though I was rid of him!!!!!!

J/K Ryan, welcome back, as long as you bring in Katrina,

Ken

Wayne
12-15-2010, 03:45 AM
Welcome back I know that sweet feeling all too well and 6 months is not bad really!

Someone's old water isn't going to help you out much though. Very few bacteria colonize the water column. You're better off sourcing out some quality live rock from a nice healthy reef.

+1 Sand and rock are where the bacteria colonize. Just run new water and let it cycle. As for securing rock, putty, or plastic rods with drilled holes in the rocks will give you the opportunity to create nice rockwork.

Ryan Joel Smith
12-16-2010, 05:48 AM
where would one acquire plastic rods that are shapable?

Ken: That's just harsh.....looking forward to spending more countless hours at blue world.