PDA

View Full Version : 2 part dosing question?

spawn
12-14-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm perplexed I'm dosing Two little fishies c-balance on 55 NWV gal setup, right now I up to 24ML of CA per day but only 7ML of the alk. I'm just wondering if this is normal? I thought it was supposed to be a balanced supplement?
Also I do weekly water changes of 5-10 gal with reef crystals, after water changes Mg & Ca always seem to drop, has anyone else experience this? I know, I will test the next fresh mix.
CA 420-450
kh 8.5
Mg 1350-1400
SAl 1.026

lastlight
12-14-2010, 10:45 PM
Seems very odd to me. Reef Crystals (the newer stuff) has always tested higher than target levels for both Ca and Alk. Mg is always really low. What test kits are you using and have they expired?

My dosing isn't quite balanced but that seems way off to me.

spawn
12-14-2010, 10:52 PM
All 3 kits are Elos & everything in the tank looks happy with good color & P.E. , oh yeah fish too. I just think it's weird to have to dose so much of one vs. the other to keep my paras. here. Could a Low PH of 7.5-7.8 be contributing?
Ca Exp Dec. 2011
Mg Exp Feb. 2012
Kh Exp Oct. 2011

daniella3d
12-15-2010, 01:01 PM
I use reef crystal as well and I only dose 100ml per day in my 75 gallons and I have lps, sps and a clam. I do 25% water change per month. That does seem odd.

I use Bulk Reef supply 2 parts solution. Do you have something consuming calcium? lots of sps? a few clams? a lot of cheato? or do you have a burst of corraline algae growth?

I'm perplexed I'm dosing Two little fishies c-balance on 55 NWV gal setup, right now I up to 24ML of CA per day but only 7ML of the alk. I'm just wondering if this is normal? I thought it was supposed to be a balanced supplement?
Also I do weekly water changes of 5-10 gal with reef crystals, after water changes Mg & Ca always seem to drop, has anyone else experience this? I know, I will test the next fresh mix.
CA 420-450
kh 8.5
Mg 1350-1400
SAl 1.026

spawn
12-15-2010, 02:24 PM
The tank is 7 Months old, there are about 30 sps, two clams, 2 midsize lps, & fair bit of coraline.Although some of the coraline has started to bleach a bit lately? All the sps are basically frags or small starts of colonies. All are quite happy & colorful, I just wonder why the dose amounts are so different to keep the paras. where they are. As I understood it, the additions were supposed to be somewhat more equal due to the way the stuff is consumed? I'm also considering switching to KZ's reefers best for my salt, to keep from the drop in Mg that happens weekly when I do My water changes. Any input on reefer's best?

spawn
12-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Does dosing such different amounts of the two parts seem weird to anyone else with more experience?

chris88
12-16-2010, 04:35 AM
on a consistant basis you should use both parts evenly. however if you salt is high in alk which most are then you woundn't need as much. Also if you are suing tap water you are getting some alk from it. Not all corals will take it up evenly but i always end up using the bottles at the same rate. I would do a one time dose to get them where you want them and then equal dosing to keep them there.

spawn
12-16-2010, 10:54 PM
I use R/O. Anyways the question was inadvertently answered today at a LFS, & I'm going to consider it a matter of mineral concentration that is contained within the supplements. Not uncommon to have ratio's like this based on this supplement. thanks.