PDA

View Full Version : Regarding peristaltic pumps

nlreefguy
12-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Just wondering what the lifespan of dosing pumps is? I have two pumps from reefdosingpumps.com tht now are having trouble turning when hosing is connected to them. They will turn no problem when there is no resistance. What's the problem here? Is there any maintenance I can do to help? These pumps are quite old now, both of them are over 5 years old. Do they need to be oiled or something????

sphelps
12-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Are the lines clear? No clogs?

nlreefguy
12-14-2010, 09:40 PM
yeah, the lines are clear, and replaced as well :(

Bloodasp
12-14-2010, 10:49 PM
The motors I would guess need to be replaced.

nlreefguy
12-15-2010, 01:15 AM
Oh really? So they just burn out after a while, eh? Not a great long term investment then, really.

hillegom
12-15-2010, 01:35 AM
I would email the co. and ask them.
Here is the presidents email
stanf@reefdosingpumps.com

nlreefguy
12-15-2010, 02:15 AM
Yes, I tried that, I am just waiting for a response. But thanks for the suggestion.

hillegom
12-15-2010, 02:53 AM
Well, you could try to oil the gears inside. That is assuming the electrical motor is ok

http://reefdosingpumps.com/Pages/gears.html

nlreefguy
12-15-2010, 03:01 AM
OK, I'll try that. What kind of oil or grease do you think would be acceptable for this purpose?

mark
12-15-2010, 03:46 AM
have they been in use for 5 years or just 5 yrs old?

hillegom
12-15-2010, 04:08 AM
OK, I'll try that. What kind of oil or grease do you think would be acceptable for this purpose?

I would first take it apart and see if the gears are binding when they turn. Are the bearings, where the shaft for the gears are in, are they loose?
If everything seems ok, then clean off the old grease and use something like that white grease, lubriplate i believe. It turns so slow almost any grease would work. ie, better than no grease at all.
But, the brushes on the electric motors could be shot too. Or the bearings on the motor. Does it dose every day? for 5 years?
So hard to say, long distance and all

nlreefguy
12-15-2010, 08:46 AM
They are 5 years old but have only seen regular use for about half that time.

hillegom
12-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Well hopefully you will get an email back from the co.
But if it is going to cost you to buy a new part, then you have to take it apart anyway. Then maybe the problem will be more apparent and you will be able to fix it yourself.

nlreefguy
12-15-2010, 04:19 PM
OK, so I heard back from the president and he suggested basicaly the same things as you guys. I took one of the pumps apart and the grease inside is copious and dried up like a very thick paste. So I'll get some grease and try regreasing both of the pumps first. I'll update to let everyone know how it worked out.

nlreefguy
12-15-2010, 04:22 PM
I would first take it apart and see if the gears are binding when they turn. Are the bearings, where the shaft for the gears are in, are they loose?
If everything seems ok, then clean off the old grease and use something like that white grease, lubriplate i believe. It turns so slow almost any grease would work. ie, better than no grease at all.
But, the brushes on the electric motors could be shot too. Or the bearings on the motor. Does it dose every day? for 5 years?
So hard to say, long distance and all

Thanks for your insight, by the way. Sounds like you know a thing or two about peristaltic pumps! Where would you get lubriplate?

One pump was used for top-off so it was every day for at least 2 to 3 years. The other was barely used at all, just for dosing calcium once a day for about 3 years. Oh, come to think of it, that pump was also used to pump water into my denitrator (or out of it, I can't remember!)

hillegom
12-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Try and get all the old grease off before you put in new. If it is easy to detach the gearbox, then you could wash it in varsol,
Just make sure then the new grease gets into whatever they use for bearings.
Good luck