PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have suggestions on Battery Back up?

paddyob
12-14-2010, 04:14 AM
Considering a battery back up for blackout events.

Anyone have suggestions on entry level kinda back up systems?

paddyob
12-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Bump

outacontrol
12-14-2010, 01:50 PM
well a little ups would work well for running your powerheads for several hours.
a 200 watt ups is about $70 at Canadian Tire, should go on sale just watch for it, should run an mp40 for 7 hours or more.

Lampshade
12-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Watch out for computer UPS's, they are only ment to run for 2-3 minutes to allow an auto shutdown and quick save of files. They may have the correct rating and enough Amp Hours to run for awhile longer on your tank, however they don't have correct cooling to run that long and the transformer will melt through the case and cause a fire. There's some good youtube video's of this.

paddyob
12-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Watch out for computer UPS's, they are only ment to run for 2-3 minutes to allow an auto shutdown and quick save of files. They may have the correct rating and enough Amp Hours to run for awhile longer on your tank, however they don't have correct cooling to run that long and the transformer will melt through the case and cause a fire. There's some good youtube video's of this.

Suggestions????

mark
12-14-2010, 02:20 PM
here's (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70156&highlight=battery) one of the many threads on the topic

Lampshade
12-14-2010, 02:23 PM
I've been looking for a decent one, havn't seen the canadian tire on mentioned. Lots of Mods online that convert computer UPS's to long time ones using car battery's, that's what causes fires. Apperently it's safe if you use less than 50% the rating... but i still don't want to trust a house fire to that.

If i find anything i'll let you know, It'd be nice to have something for my return pump so that i can still cycle water.

paddyob
12-14-2010, 02:30 PM
I agree.... we had a power outage last night and my heater is in the sump.... so I need something to run my heater and main pump for up to 4 hrs. I say 4 hrs because power is "USUALLY" not out for more than an hour.

KevinK
12-14-2010, 03:15 PM
watch out for som brands (noma, from can T) google them on review, thy lack often in preformance, if not that thy dont work when you need them !!!

all the back up's arnt a few dollar so inform yourselve, it makes no sence to invest lots of $ and then when you need it, its not there for you

davefrombc
12-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Power outages up to 4 hours really shouldn't cause a great deal of harm to your tanks or filters as long as the room stays reasonably warm. The tanks will cool some, but if you wrap them with a blanket or comforter, even that cooling will be minimized .. Your filters, cannister or otherwise will also survive with little loss of the bacteria .. They are bacteria, not higher organisms with huge O2 demands.
UPS and other battery backups, even large modified ones will only give you a couple of hours at best if you have pumps and heaters running ; unless you are using a huge battery bank and inverter designed for continuous operation .
Your best bet for long term outages is to buy a small gas powered generator. An 1800 w generator will power a rather impressive fish room and still leave you with enough reserve to power some lights for yourself. A bigger generator, 3500 to 5000 watts, can also power your furnace, if you know how to separate the electrical controls and blower motor from the electric grid. The best way is to have the furnace connect to your house power by a plug to a wall socket. Then in cases of power outages you can unplug from house power and plug into an extension from the generator.
A furnace generally only needs about 1800 watts maximum to run, but starting draw on the blower often needs 2 or 3 times that much .. That's why the much larger generator is needed to power a furnace. For the same price , or less, of a limited ability battery backup, you can buy a good generator that is far more capable and useful.

daniella3d
12-15-2010, 01:15 PM
I have a Noma 400 home power back up that work great to power my pump and skimmer when power goes out.

The UPS are worthless piece of junk that is dangerous for fire. 2 unmodified UPS cought fire where I work and they came from a different place and not bought at the same time. I would not trust them on an aquarium as they last only a few minutes.

The Noma 1800 is good but it's also like 400$ or around that.

You can have some deep cycle batteries connected to a power inverter as well but it won't start automaticaly. What I like about the Noma is that it will stay plugged and charged as long as there is power and as soon as the power goes out it will kick the batteri on. When the power return it will charge the battery and resume the normal operation.

A 200 watts heater is drawing a lot of power and won't last long on a 400 watts for sure. Better use a more powerfull devise.