PDA

View Full Version : Regal Tang Question

NanoReef
12-13-2010, 02:38 AM
hello everyone. I have a regal tang in my 120 gallon reef. the last few weeks he has started picking at some of my zoas... is this normal for regals? I have actually watched him pick off a single zoa and swallow it... why would he start this? will it stop?
anything will help. thanks!

apexifd
12-13-2010, 02:46 AM
you are not the only one.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70685

Edmonton newbie
12-13-2010, 02:47 AM
once hes gone through ALL you zoas he will quit

naesco
12-13-2010, 02:54 AM
hello everyone. I have a regal tang in my 120 gallon reef. the last few weeks he has started picking at some of my zoas... is this normal for regals? I have actually watched him pick off a single zoa and swallow it... why would he start this? will it stop?
anything will help. thanks!

Unlike all the other tangs the regal is a meat eater. If you have been feeding her pretty much only algae it is normal that she will go for something else.
Because she has just started to take a liking to your zoas overfeed her ((often) mysis and some meaty quality pellets to see if she weans off the zoas

pirate
12-13-2010, 03:03 AM
What are you feeding? My regal started to eat the GSP that I have in my tank, so I started to feed more algae based food and suplement it with brine and mysis frozen food. As well I feed nori everyday for all the tangs in my tank. Since I started he has left the corals alone now.

globaldesigns
12-13-2010, 03:03 AM
you are not the only one.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70685

Yup, that is my thread... But I can tell you that yesterday and today, my Hippo hasn't eaten any. He/She hovers over them and looks at them, but won't eat any more. What the fish was eating is 100% gone now, but maybe the other zoa species don't appeal to it.

I am thinking the ones he/she isn't eating may have toxic properties, and the ones she ate/demolished didn't.

Let me know what happens with you. Hopefully yours stops also. I am hoping that is it for mine also.

I should note, that I have fed Nori everyday since my hippo started eating the zoas, whereas I was only giving Nori twice a week.

NanoReef
12-13-2010, 12:51 PM
I have been feeding her nori daily, mysis and blood worms every other day.. Her belly is fat but yet she still picks on ANYTHING that I move, like the other day I put a tri color acro up a little higher and cought her nipping it right after I moved it. I'm hoping it will stop but if it doesn't she's gonna have to go :(

daniella3d
12-13-2010, 07:20 PM
how old is it? it might be at an age that it is discovering its environement and experimenting?

Mine does not pic at anything yet. I have zoanthids and pretty much all type of coral as well as sps and none get toutched. Sometimes mine like to scratch on the sps but that does not do much dammage.

I have been feeding her nori daily, mysis and blood worms every other day.. Her belly is fat but yet she still picks on ANYTHING that I move, like the other day I put a tri color acro up a little higher and cought her nipping it right after I moved it. I'm hoping it will stop but if it doesn't she's gonna have to go :(

fishytime
12-13-2010, 11:38 PM
My former regal(now living with another reefer) was a $500 fish......he ate 5 or 6 aussie acan frags:twised:.....

NanoReef
12-14-2010, 01:49 PM
I have had her over 3 years now... She has never done any coral picking until this last couple weeks..

daniella3d
12-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Wow, that's really a bummer to keep a fish that long and then after so long it develop such bad habbit! I think they become more and more vegetarian with age...could it be lacking veggie? I know it's not very good to give this to fish but just to distract it from the polyp, maybe some romaine lettuce could do it? I read tang really love that stuff although it is low in nutrition, it could help in this case?

I have had her over 3 years now... She has never done any coral picking until this last couple weeks..

NanoReef
12-24-2010, 12:55 AM
ok I have tried everything.. she will not stop picking. she completely wiped out 3 colonies of zoas... any other suggestions? if she hasn't stopped by the new year (or if she goes near any of my favorites) I think she might have to go :(