PDA

View Full Version : Beginnings of HLLE?

Rogue951
12-12-2010, 08:57 PM
My kole tang is starting to get spots around it's nose.
I've had it for over a year.
Eats pellets, brine and mysis like a pig, and picks at the rocks.
Pellets are soaked with selcon before feeding.

Anything else I can do to supplement feeding? or to the tank?

Lance
12-12-2010, 09:02 PM
My kole tang is starting to get spots around it's nose.
I've had it for over a year.
Eats pellets, brine and mysis like a pig, and picks at the rocks.
Pellets are soaked with selcon before feeding.

Anything else I can do to supplement feeding? or to the tank?

Is he stressed? Check for stray voltage and feed him lots of nori. Soaking with Selcon is good. How much carbon are you using and what brand? Carbon has been possibly linked to HLLE.

Lance
12-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Oh I forgot one: What is the condition of the tank water? Poor water quality may also be a factor.

Rogue951
12-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Water seems to be good, exception of hair algae problems, but they seem to be going away slowly.

Using marineland carbon.
no stress or voltage. always seemed like a happy guy. no one bothers him, he doesn't bother anyone else.

tankmates are all peacefull, except an allens damsel, but even he doesn't bother the tang.

I recently bought a tub of ROX carbon. Was going to switch that out next batch when I find a good bag to hold it. those are some damn small pellets.
I run it in a cannister filter just for carbon cause I have nothing else to hold carbon.

Milad
12-12-2010, 09:16 PM
where did you buy the rox in vancouver?

Rogue951
12-12-2010, 09:18 PM
I didn't.
Group buy a month ago from BRS.

Lance
12-12-2010, 09:35 PM
ROX is great carbon, expensive but very good.

jorjef
12-12-2010, 10:04 PM
I reused the bag from some Chemi-pure I was using, works great.

I recently bought a tub of ROX carbon. Was going to switch that out next batch when I find a good bag to hold it. those are some damn small pellets.

christyf5
12-12-2010, 11:43 PM
the marineland carbon you're using now, is it pelleted or shards? Are you running it passively in a bag or in a reactor? just wondering as poontang was running a brand of carbon (which I think might have been marineland or something like it) through his reactor too fast and I think it was being ground to dust that was making it into his tank. His coral beauty and purple tang both exhibited signs of HLLE while I was tanksitting. He has since switched to a different brand of carbon (I hope).

PoonTang
12-13-2010, 12:30 AM
the marineland carbon you're using now, is it pelleted or shards? Are you running it passively in a bag or in a reactor? just wondering as poontang was running a brand of carbon (which I think might have been marineland or something like it) through his reactor too fast and I think it was being ground to dust that was making it into his tank. His coral beauty and purple tang both exhibited signs of HLLE while I was tanksitting. He has since switched to a different brand of carbon (I hope).

The carbon in question was black diamond and I had it tumbling too fast I think. The coral beauty has healed somewhat and the tang is fine. I am now running Marineland but have the reactor turned down enough so there is almost no tumbling.

naesco
12-13-2010, 03:02 AM
The kole tang need film algae to do well. You should have the back of your glass kept dirty so that the kole can suck the film algae off the glass.
You can also help her by buying some of those blue smooth stones you see at LFS. Place them in a pile and the film algae will grow on it. The stones also double as a pod pile home for pods.
Your post only mentioned meaty foods. Nori is good. Hair algae is not.
Do the selcon soaking as another reefer has suggested.

Rogue951
12-13-2010, 05:17 AM
Actually I don't scrape the sides or back unless I find patches of hair algae.
so theres plenty for it to pick at.