PDA

View Full Version : Zeo-bac Question

spawn
12-12-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm just wondering if it would be bad to dose zeobac if I'm not on a full zeovit setup. I'm vodka dosing and just wondering about having a variety of different strains. The one that I inoculated with was a Weiss product called Bacter Boost. Just wondering if the may be any weird effects if not on a full zeo setup? Thanks.

Milad
12-12-2010, 09:17 PM
i use zeo-bac and i dont have full zeo
im dosing zeo-bac with np pellets.

Dez
12-12-2010, 09:32 PM
I think that if you are using Bak, then you need to feed the bak with zeo food. I think Bak and food go hand in hand.

Milad
12-12-2010, 09:38 PM
I think that if you are using Bak, then you need to feed the bak with zeo food. I think Bak and food go hand in hand.

you just need something zeo bac can munch on. vodka i believe will do the trick.

globaldesigns
12-13-2010, 03:11 AM
ZeoBac is a localized bacteria strain used with the Zeolites, whereas NP BioPellets are bacteria that live within the tank itself. The benefit of the Pellets is that you don't have the negative effect of sludge build-up in your plumbing and potential covering your tank, as you can have with Vodka, Sugar or other Carbon Dosing Methods.

I personally was running Pellets and the Zeolites, but with some of my problems I have been having, I have removed the Zeolites and ceased dosing of Zeobac. I haven't seen anything negative happen because of not using it anymore, in fact I am now seeing coral growth recently. Can't say it was from removing things, just outlining what I have done.

Personally if you are running Pellets, I wouldn't use ZeoBac or zeolites with it. And using Zeobac without the Zeolites, I don't recommend either.

You may want to go to the Zeo website and talk with some of the guru's there.

Milad
12-13-2010, 03:21 AM
ZeoBac is a localized bacteria strain used with the Zeolites, whereas NP BioPellets are bacteria that live within the tank itself. The benefit of the Pellets is that you don't have the negative effect of sludge build-up in your plumbing and potential covering your tank, as you can have with Vodka, Sugar or other Carbon Dosing Methods.

I personally was running Pellets and the Zeolites, but with some of my problems I have been having, I have removed the Zeolites and ceased dosing of Zeobac. I haven't seen anything negative happen because of not using it anymore, in fact I am now seeing coral growth recently. Can't say it was from removing things, just outlining what I have done.

Personally if you are running Pellets, I wouldn't use ZeoBac or zeolites with it. And using Zeobac without the Zeolites, I don't recommend either.

You may want to go to the Zeo website and talk with some of the guru's there.

wait, are you saying zeo bac is made up of magical bacteria that only likes zeolites instead of any carbon source?

fyi i use both, zeo bac and pellets
ever since ive used both together everything has been at zero, water has been crystal clear, cyano has actually started to disappear

but mind you i dose half of what all the zeo products says

cv, zeo bac, sponge power, coral snow

globaldesigns
12-13-2010, 03:25 AM
wait, are you saying zeo bac is made up of magical bacteria that only likes zeolites instead of any carbon source?

fyi i use both, zeo bac and pellets
ever since ive used both together everything has been at zero, water has been crystal clear, cyano has actually started to disappear

but mind you i dose half of what all the zeo products says

cv, zeo bac, sponge power, coral snow

Dosing less than what Zeo recommends is good, you will find most do the same.

I probably am not explaining things that great, that is why I recommend talking with the Zeo Gurus at the zeo site. From what I understood, Zeobac reacts with the Zeolites to create the bacteria strain within the ZeoReactor. something to that effect, but please don't take me as an expert... I have had a fair share of my problems lately. All I can tell you is what I have seen from my personal experiences. and believe me I have experimented, some good and some really bad.

spawn
12-13-2010, 03:28 AM
I too dose 1/2 what they tell you to. I dosed this aft. I'm not running any pellets, just straight booze. Since I started No3 has dropped from 10 on an API kit to 2.5 on an Elos. I just want to diversify the bacterial pop.

spawn
12-13-2010, 03:28 AM
That was since I started with the vodka.

globaldesigns
12-13-2010, 03:29 AM
I too dose 1/2 what they tell you to. I dosed this aft. I'm not running any pellets, just straight booze. Since I started No3 has dropped from 10 on an API kit to 2.5 on an Elos. I just want to diversify the bacterial pop.

Great thing about straight booze, a little for the tank then alot for the reefer himself.

I have actually changed my Zeo dosing regime:

Coral Snow was daily, now it is once a week
ZeoZyme, once a week
Coral Vitalizer was daily, but now only twice a week
Coral Food 7 - twice a week
Amino Acids and ZeoStart2 is daily

With the above, basically not dosing everyday on some things, I am now seeing improvements and now seeing actual coral growth. Other changes are a second skimmer and bigger water changes per week. with these bigger water changes, I haven't dosed an Mg, St, Ca, ALK, or supplements since also.

I think it is like what others have said... keep it simple, less complicated. And I am seeing some good changes, hopefully it continues.