PDA

View Full Version : Rate my tank bio load

Coleus
12-10-2010, 04:44 PM
hi guys,

I got all my wanted fishes and gonna make a 400 gallon tank once all my tangs grow bigger. I am just curious what you rate my current tank bio load.

6feet - 155 Gallon Bow Front and 33gal Sump with refugium,

Fishes:
Angels: Golden , multi color , flame , emperor , angel
Tangs: 3'' Hippo, 4'' Salfin tang, 3'' chevron tang, 3'' purple tang, 2'' sohal
Anthias: 2'' square triangle, 2'' barllet
Blenny: bicolor, lawnmover
Goby: yellow, tangaroa
Hawkfish: flame hawk
Others: Blue Damselfish, pair of true percs Clowns, pair of royal gamma, Spotted Dragonet, cleaner wrasse, six line wrasse,3 blue chromis

Inverts: Mated pair Coral Branded Shrimp, pair cleaner shrimp, Hermit Crabs, Black Longspine Urchin, trio tuxedo urchin, anemones, snails, blue starfish

Coral: some LPS and some SPS

I think it is heavy load but my lfs thinks i can fit more fishes. What do you think? All fishes are happy

I also have a RSM130 setup for corals only with 2 peppermint shrimps. I was wondering would a coral only tank will have high bio load? I am thinking of adding a bio pellets but not sure if it worth the hassle. I do 10% water change every week for both tank

Thanks

globaldesigns
12-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Personally, I feel bioload is dependant on your setup.

Maybe there is too many fish for the size of tank, but if you have sufficient skimming, water changes and so forth, you may be just fine.

I myself, probably have a high bioload also... But running 2 skimmers, good water changes every week. And my tank is clear. I keep fish alive, maybe not my coral though. :lol:

naesco
12-10-2010, 05:20 PM
I would not add any more unless you are talking about very small fish.

Delphinus
12-10-2010, 05:21 PM
To me that sounds like a full load for a 400g reef, for a 155g with corals that sounds pretty extremely high. If it were FOWLR it might be totally fine though and that could where the LFS is coming from with their suggestions.

Coleus
12-10-2010, 05:22 PM
I am thinking of upgrade my skimmer to a bigger one although all my params are good except for the stupid PH that i can't seem to get it higher, my ph is 7.7 - 8.0.

wickedfrags
12-10-2010, 05:29 PM
you do not mention the size of the angels and tangs, they 1-3" or 5"+?

the only fish that seems out of place to me is the sohal tang

Aquattro
12-10-2010, 05:33 PM
I'd call that a full tank...

Coleus
12-10-2010, 05:33 PM
you do not mention the size of the angels and tangs, they 1-3" or 5"+?

the only fish that seems out of place to me is the sohal tang

they are all around 3'', the sohal is around 2''

Coleus
12-10-2010, 05:37 PM
I'd call that a full tank...

I like this :-)

68shelby
12-10-2010, 06:00 PM
those tangs are pooh factories so Id say thats a lot of fish

michika
12-10-2010, 07:21 PM
I'd say you're full up. When you move to your larger thank and as all your inhabitants grow, you'll find you're pretty much maxed out.

Like you mentioned earlier a bigger/better skimmer/filtration system will help you keep everything in line from now until later.

I wouldn't add anything unless it was smaller fish, or fish that won't compete for space, food, or a home/hiding place. I'd be very wary of adding any smaller fish.

Coleus
12-10-2010, 07:29 PM
I'd say you're full up. When you move to your larger thank and as all your inhabitants grow, you'll find you're pretty much maxed out.

Like you mentioned earlier a bigger/better skimmer/filtration system will help you keep everything in line from now until later.

I wouldn't add anything unless it was smaller fish, or fish that won't compete for space, food, or a home/hiding place. I'd be very wary of adding any smaller fish.

Don't think i am going to add any more fish after adding the sohal tang as the last one which already gave me enough stress. But i want to add more corals :-)

Can i? I probably going to remove 3 chromis to reduce the bioload

kien
12-10-2010, 07:51 PM
hi guys,

Tangs: 3' Hippo

Thanks

I'm sorry Tai but your hippo tang alone is NOT going to be happy in your 400g tank. I dont know how he manages with all the other giant fish you have?? Seriously that has got to be some record for a hippo tang!! 3 feet?!! You should call national geographic! :surprise:

Coleus
12-10-2010, 07:59 PM
I'm sorry Tai but your hippo tang alone is NOT going to be happy in your 400g tank. I dont know how he manages with all the other giant fish you have?? Seriously that has got to be some record for a hippo tang!! 3 feet?!! You should call national geographic! :surprise:

Sorry my bad with unit notation, sorry for missing one more ' at the end there.

Nice catch Kien. :-). I actually feed them with some reefroids stuff but they can't seem to grow that fast

Lance
12-10-2010, 09:36 PM

I agree. Some of those fish are going to get large. A 6" fish poops more than three 2" fish.