PDA

View Full Version : Fastening small Frags

JohnnyReeftank
12-10-2010, 03:02 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm pretty new to the game and I was wondering what you guys use to fasten your small frags to your live rock. I've been trying that runny Coralaffix glue but it doesn't seem to work. So far I have just been kind of cramming everything together and wedging frags into place, but they are still unstable when I want to rearrange my rockwork. I used underwater epoxy to fasten my live rock together and it was hit and miss. Any suggestions or should I just keep cramming?

whatcaneyedo
12-10-2010, 03:08 AM
A combination of super glue gel and epoxy seems to be popular. Do a search on this site and you'll find more info as its been discussed often. This is also a good read:

Securing Propagated Corals: Methods of Fixing Live Coral to Hard Substrates
by Calfo, Anthony
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-10/ac/feature/index.php

ScubaSteve
12-10-2010, 05:24 AM
Loctite super glue gel. Solves all problems in life.

Bloodasp
12-10-2010, 05:30 AM
Best way is to leave the rock work alone once you have them glued in place at least until they encrust the rocks. Learned the hard way that no matter how much glue or epoxy you use to stick it to the rocks if you keep moving them there's a great chance they will get knocked off.

lastlight
12-10-2010, 06:26 AM
I've never had success with super glue alone. I toothbrush the rock, dab the frag bottom dry and then apply:

glue | tiny bit of epoxy | glue

and stick it. This method has not failed me once. I've gotten cleaner with it too you need a very small amount of epoxy. It allows a flush fit between frag and rock no matter what the surfaces are shaped like.

JohnnyReeftank
12-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Sweet.....thx guys