PDA

View Full Version : Advice on powerheads and placement

Frozenocean
12-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Looking for some advice on powerheads and placement.

I have a 90 gallon (rectangular) with a mag 18 return. Central drain so the return points out from the back towards the back right hand side.

I have a mix of everything...trying to keep my SPS on the left side and teh right is dominated by a large grove of pulsing xenia. Zoes and some leathers are interspersed throughout the tank. In the middle, there is a torch, a really nice wall hammer and another smaller hammer. Leathers never seem to polp out and the

I have one Korelia 4 on the back wall, pointed to the centre.....I have a SEIO 820 that I could incorporate

My question is...with this hodge podge of coral, what do you think my best bet is for powerheads and placement? I'm willing to reinvest if it means

lorenz0
12-09-2010, 09:53 PM
blast it across the tank. IMO your going to need more flow, if you don't want to spend to much (tunze or vortech) just buy this:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/hy-kor04a/Hydor+Koralia+Evolution+Powerhead+%281400+GPH%29.h tml

than I would add 2 750 gph down low in the tank

Frozenocean
12-09-2010, 10:17 PM
So....run othe Korelia 4 on one end and another phead like you have suggested on the other side?

I've run both the SEIO and the Koralia opposite each other but the xenia get thrown around like rag dolls.....

George
12-09-2010, 11:01 PM
You can get a couple of Hydor Koralia 3 (or HK evolution 750 they call now), placing them on the opposite sides of short end of the tank (the end with SPS), pointing them at each other and blasting away. The point is to create some turbulent, not one directional flow.
On the other end, you could do the same with some smaller power heads like evolution nano 425.
It's tough to mix SPS with soft corals and stuff like Xenia in terms of balancing flow. Getting more than one power head can help you playing with direction and flow, etc.

Frozenocean
12-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the advice.....I'll try adding the two K3s.....maybe run the SEIO that is adjustable in the back corner of the other side