PDA

View Full Version : Aquabee Deltec mod attempt

ickmagnet
12-09-2010, 06:47 PM
I just bought a Deltec PF601 CA Reactor off this site and realized the pump doesn't work. I did the vinegar thing but still no luck. Needless to say, not happy about what I thought was a great deal.

I called the Deltec rep in Canada and they want $230 for this pump which seems quite a bit of money for a pump with such a notorious history. Besides, I only paid $300 for the Ca reactor. It is an aquabee 2000. I seen some of these at Bulk Reef Supply for $100 but it looks like these have a different impeller and may not work properly with the CA reactor.

So, I've decided to do the mod to an ehiem 1260 as per this link:
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/61092-if-you-have-deltec-601-601s.html

The only problem is, the guy who did it seems to think that the Deltec PF601 comes with an aquabee 3000 when in fact, it is a 2000. The eheim 1260 is a 640gph pump while the aquabee is approx 528gph (converting 2000 liters/hr). Would this affect the calcium reactor negatively. Would it be too much flow? Any other pump suggestions? There is an eheim 2000 that has an adjustbale speed of 264gph-528gph. Would this be a better fit? Anyone know anything about pump? The 1260 seems more "heavy duty".

The Codfather
12-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Sure the 1260 would be fine, you could place a valve on the discharge side and dial it down a bit. Or use the 2000, it's not as "heavy duty" but it's just recirculating the water in the reactor.

ickmagnet
12-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Would restricting the flow on the 1260 cause any damage?

The Codfather
12-09-2010, 07:59 PM
As long as you valve the discharge side and not the suction side, it'll be fine.

ickmagnet
12-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks, maybe I'll just go for the Eheim 2000 as it is pretty much identical in terms of specs to the aquabee.

BlueTang<3
12-09-2010, 09:53 PM
great find i have the same reactor and just waiting for the pump to crap out on it. As Bob stated the pump is only for recalculation. I would almost think bigger would be better as it would churn the media a little better the pump on there seems a little too weak right now as it is.

ickmagnet
12-09-2010, 11:26 PM
I think what I'll do is join that site and ask that guy how is mod is working out for him. I'll get back to you guys.

BlueTang<3
12-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Yeah i would like to hear. I would not use the jb weld tho i don't think that is too reef safe.

Marlin65
12-10-2010, 01:10 AM
I had the same problem finding one for my skimmer and ordered one from the US but I got no response from the company and then ended up buying one off a member on this board. A week later the new on showed up so now I have two.
It is the 2000l though the needle wheel. If it will work for you I can sell it to you with shipping and duty I think it came to $170 PM me if you want it.

ickmagnet
12-10-2010, 01:49 AM
I got a response from the guy and this is what he said:

Question 1. Does the bigger pump make any difference on the performance?

You can add a ball valve to lower the output of the eheim. Other than making the reactor more cloudy, I don't really see any issues with a higher flow rate.

2. The second question is the obvious one, how is everything working out for you?

I am very happy with the mod. I have switched to ARM media instead of the deltec ROWA C+ or whatever it is called. It dissolves much easier and tends to turn muddy a lot sooner. The added power of the eheim helps to push the water throught IMO.

BlueTang<3
12-10-2010, 01:57 AM
Well i think i am going to order a eheim and pick up the parts to have handy. Good find :biggrin:. Will stay with the rowaith media as i have like 3 pails kicking around.

gobytron
12-10-2010, 02:15 PM
the aquabees sometimes have a gate that flaps back and forth on the oulet...
it get stuck VERY easily and needs to be manually unstuck.

make sure this isnt your problem first.

If your impellar is still good, I have a spare aquabee 2000/1 available with no impellar shaft.

ickmagnet
12-10-2010, 07:36 PM
There are bits and pieces that were broken in there. I think only the body itself is good.

I haven't heard back from Marlin65 so I'm going to go ahead with the mod. I'll post pics when it is all said and done. I ordered the eheim and it should be here sometime next week.

ickmagnet
12-25-2010, 11:22 PM
So I have done the mod. Still haven't run water through it yet. Just waiting for everything to dry up.

I have no idea on how to put pictures on this site (it never works) but I can email anyone who wants a look. I'll send some more once everything is up and running as well

DCReefer
01-06-2014, 01:53 PM
So I have done the mod. Still haven't run water through it yet. Just waiting for everything to dry up.

I have no idea on how to put pictures on this site (it never works) but I can email anyone who wants a look. I'll send some more once everything is up and running as well
Any updated? Just got this reactor off a local member with a bad pump!!!

ickmagnet
01-06-2014, 05:36 PM
It actually worked pretty good. I ended up selling the unit a while ago but it was working fine when I sold it.