PDA

View Full Version : Did I see a bristle worm? or a potential serpent of death?

saltwater
12-09-2010, 05:36 AM
I have had my 150g (no sump) running for almost 2 years. I just swapped everything over to a smaller 75g with sump.

About a 1/2 hour after transferring my rock I look back at the tank and saw a worm that was at least 10-12 inches long inching down the rock with the light off. When I turned on the light it took about 20 seconds to hide. Couldn't see if there was a head. It has a pinkish beige color and had what looked like a thousand feet down the sides. I knew I've had bristle worms for a while... I would even see some come out to feed occasionally if a peice of food falls near one of their holes. BUT THIS THING WAS MASSIVE! Had never seen him before. As far as I know it had never killed anything... should I try to get rid of it?

Any ideas, please?I know It isn't much info to go on...

reefwars
12-09-2010, 12:21 PM
More than likely a bristle worm, ones that big you should get rid of, there's probably hundreds in your tank if there's one that big. They are beneficial but large ones can do some damage so chuck it if you can catch it:)

saltwater
12-09-2010, 02:19 PM
It probably lives in the rock since I never saw it till now and it was not in the sand. I don't know how I would ever find or catch it. Any suggestions? Is it dangerous to soft coral, hard coral, anenomes, fish? If so which which might be in more danger?
Thanks

marie
12-09-2010, 03:11 PM
It isn't a danger to anything except maybe your hand if you accidentally grab hold of it with bare skin and even then it's just annoying. I would leave it alone......

saltwater
12-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Originally I looked over and thought it was the brittle starfish but realized it was 3x fatter... looked closer and panicked a bit thinking I could have touched it and not knowing what it was... (shivers) :eek: Hopefully it is a bristle worm and it doesn't bother anything in the tank.

BlueWorldAquatic
12-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Possible to be a fireworm also, either way should not be bad.

Ken - BWA

saltwater
12-09-2010, 05:13 PM
I heard fireworms are pretty destructive but trying to search the net I get all kinds of answers. If I could find him I guess I could count antennae, measure it's thoracid anticompilative region and compare it to it's carbuncle diamater to determine type of polychaete I have encountered. Wait just let me get my flux capacitor and ionic phase inducer to measure... Needless to say I got a little lost way before the protective satae.
This is why I appreciate everyone's help. I wonder if they make a "marine worms for dummies(me)" book. :smile:

Diana
12-09-2010, 05:47 PM
If you had a flux capacator you could go back in time and get the sucker when he was small.

I always try and get rid of the bristle worms, especially when they get that big. It usually involves gloves and tweezers.... and a stiff drink.