PDA

View Full Version : Peppermint predator?

spawn
12-09-2010, 03:43 AM
What is Reef safe that will hunt & eat Peppermint shrimp?

whatcaneyedo
12-09-2010, 03:53 AM
So you want something that wont eat coral but will eat shrimp and crabs? Eels, triggers, puffers, scorpionfish etc...

reefwars
12-09-2010, 03:58 AM
What is Reef safe that will hunt & eat Peppermint shrimp?

My snowflake eel would make quick work of them He ate 5 cleaner shrimp in one night lol alot of wrasses will destroy any shrimp :)

monocus
12-09-2010, 04:27 AM
+1 on the wrasses and especialy the snowflake-went to the asian market and bought 5 lbs. of live prawns-5 survived the trip home-put them in the tank and they were gone in 5 minuites-he swallowed them whole and they were 6-7 inches long

paddyob
12-09-2010, 06:07 AM
Long Nose Hawkfish. And cool looking.... but may eat ALL shrimp you add.

But what is the issue wit your peppermints?

dsaundry
12-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Why do you want to feed the peppermint shrimp to predators? Do you have too many, they are not bad to have in a tank. Or are you breeding them as a food source?

don.ald
12-09-2010, 07:02 PM
im in the same boat. the peps are picking on my acans now. damn things are molting and growing. cant catch them.

reefwars
12-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Why do you want to feed the peppermint shrimp to predators? Do you have too many, they are not bad to have in a tank. Or are you breeding them as a food source?

alot of people have problems with peppermint shrimp and corals, ive never had any problems but a friend of mine got rid of his because it was " picking" it didnt hurt anything but it made some of his coral stop opening up when they wetre picking at it.

spawn
12-09-2010, 07:27 PM
I want to get them out because they've developed a taste for My seriatopora/yellow tipped birdsnest. This is the second time starting to lose this type of coral, but the first time that I'm aware of the cause since I witnessed the shrimp eating it. I would prefer to get rid of them manually, however doing so is not without it's challenges, I've got alot of sps frags that are happily planted and staring growth that I don't want to jeopardize by trying to catch a shrimp.