PDA

View Full Version : Egg Crate Under Rockwork ?

DiverDude
12-08-2010, 10:51 PM
I've hear it suggested to put egg crate under your rockwork to remove point stresses and help with circulation.

Anyone do this ?

Makes sense to me and can't hurt but I have a bulldozer shrimp & Goby and I worry that it might impede them a bit.

Thoughts ?

Aquattro
12-08-2010, 10:56 PM
I've laid egg crate where my rocks will sit and filled over with sand. Then I'll add rocks and add sand around them.

PoonTang
12-08-2010, 10:57 PM
I've laid egg crate where my rocks will sit and filled over with sand. Then I'll add rocks and add sand around them.
+1

Jfish
12-08-2010, 10:58 PM
I have eggcrate in the bottom of my tank. I covered it with a couple inches of sand and haven't seen it since.

Milad
12-08-2010, 11:42 PM
i have eggcrate and i covered it with about 1.5in sand all around
the high flow areas started to show the eggcrate but now that its about 7 months in, i started moving around the sand just enough to cover the eggcrate and its starting to stick better.

hillbillyreefer
12-09-2010, 12:17 AM
I've got three tanks with, one without. One with has only about 1" of sand and sometimes the egg crate is exposed by the flow, looks terrible. One has about 3" of sand I've never seen the egg crate in the tank, I like it. One just has the rock sitting in the EC no sand. It doesn't look very good, I thought it would cover over in coraline, but hasn't in 2 years. It is also a pain to syphon detritus out of at water change time. The BB is great for syphoning at water change time, out of the two without sand I like it the best.

A long story short, if you are going BB don't use egg crate, if your going to use sand then use it, IMHO.

mike31154
12-09-2010, 12:33 AM
I cut some large diameter ABS pipe into sections to support several large pieces of live rock. Drilled random holes in the sides for circulation. I should have siliconed them on to the bottom glass though, since they've shifted a bit on me while I was messing around rearranging stuff. Next time I start up a tank, I'll likely do the same or just cut semicircular sections as shown in the photo below. By using sections of ABS like this, you have more flexibility as to placement and the entire bottom doesn't have to be covered as when you use eggcrate, allowing for better access and circulation. Another advantage is you can customize the height and profile of the ABS pieces to better suit the shape of a particular rock.

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p5YNvggl7HL-FDNBnhuJfp-qk0FgKVSUb7ZYvpX-Bm1eTfU0QQWdx4cO6EZWb11AoImvdGMjMUu8whapKHXwlVw/P1010733.jpg?psid=1

kien
12-09-2010, 12:37 AM
I place my heavy rocks on a sheet of acrylic. The parts that get exposed by the fish and powerheads typically encrusts with coraline so it blends in with the rock and tank bottom if it has been exposed too.

hippo!
12-09-2010, 12:37 AM
I use it on all my tanks. Cheep insurance IMO.

viperfish
12-09-2010, 01:02 AM
a couple of inches of sand will cushion the rocks from creating any stress concentration on the glass. My only fear with eggcrate is that it's just another place to trap debris that can't be siphoned out and sand sifters won't be able to get to it. I guess it would help in the event of a rock slide but I've never heard of stationary rocks on a sandbed cracking glass.

Aquattro
12-09-2010, 01:14 AM
I would never put rocks on sand again, I had a tower collapse as the sand shifted under it. Probably induced by some livestock, but it was a mess. Didn't hit glass, but from now on my rock sits on solid footing and sand goes in second.

viperfish
12-09-2010, 12:29 PM
I stack mine very carefully, and a little bit of DD putty between them ensures nothing is going to move. I also place some putty anywhere a rock might touch the glass on the back to reduce the stress concentration.

daniella3d
12-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Yes I done this before putting my sans and liverock and completely covered the botton of my aquarium with one sheet of it. It help spread the weight and also help anchor the liverock so if a fish dig underneat it will help to maintain the integrity of the structure. It would also help of some rock fall on the bottom to avoid shock and breaking the bottom of the tank.

I've hear it suggested to put egg crate under your rockwork to remove point stresses and help with circulation.

Anyone do this ?

Makes sense to me and can't hurt but I have a bulldozer shrimp & Goby and I worry that it might impede them a bit.

Thoughts ?

mark
12-09-2010, 08:36 PM
when I had a DSB built boxes with egg-crate and zipties for the rock to sit on so the bottom 4" wasn't buried in sand.

With the new tank and BB, rock just sits directly on the glass.

DiverDude
12-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Some interesting points have been made.

I was only planning on putting small(ish) sections of Egg Crate (EC) under the rock and not over the entire bottom. I'd like snails, my sea star, bulldozer shimp/Goby to be able to dig away without the impediment EC might cause.

The though was that where there was rock, the EC would displace stress and PREVENT any/all of the aforementioned critters from undermining it and causing issues.

The acrylic is a really good idea too as is the ABS -but I've been told not to put ABS in a tank but I'm sure a few bits under sand wont' hurt anything.