PDA

View Full Version : Zoas

brettm3535
12-08-2010, 07:15 PM
A while back I was having problems with my Zoa frag not opening up. Now they are doing very well even more are starting to turn up on the frag rock base. I am now wondering if they will keep spreading from the orginal frag peice onto the rock they are on or will they just stay on the orniginal frag base? If so what is the best way to get them to spread other than time? Thanks

beefORchicken
12-08-2010, 07:21 PM
they can spread pretty much anywhere , give them good light and flow and they will grow quickly. i recommend putting the frag rock somewhere you like so the zoas will spread onto your live rock.

brettm3535
12-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Thanks

reefwars
12-08-2010, 07:57 PM
After mine have grown abut on a plug I remove the plug and place them in the rock work they seem to spread faster on rocks (most anyways)

Once some many polyps develop they will grow even faster and will outgrow the plug in no time:)

brettm3535
12-08-2010, 08:41 PM
This may sounds dumb but me being new to corals I have to ask how do I remove the base of the frag? Do I just cut or pull them off?

reefwars
12-08-2010, 09:05 PM
This may sounds dumb but me being new to corals I have to ask how do I remove the base of the frag? Do I just cut or pull them off?

No worries there's no dumb questions if it's grown on already you can use a sharp razorblade to slice it off or if it's jst been glued/epoxyd you can break it off the plug . You could also break the plug if it's thin or brittle. Zoa's will grow to rocks fairly quick if you stick them in a crevace and somewhere they like:)

Zoaelite
12-08-2010, 09:07 PM

You mean the ones with the tab so it can be placed in eggcrate? I hate those ones so I only use the flat based ones, your best to shove it in some crack and use epoxy to hold it in place.

If your talking about removing the plug itself from the coral you don't, they are reef safe and will be covered in Coraline algae shortly.

brettm3535
12-08-2010, 09:09 PM
It is a flat around base that they are on. Thanks for all the help.