PDA

View Full Version : 10 gallon nano reef build

Beanz
12-08-2010, 04:53 AM
Hi all just thought that since I'm starting up this new 10 gallon tank that i would post my progress. I have already siliconed some acrylic in place for the skimmer to b housed and some LR the filter cheato and the return pump with a spray bar. I thought that this little compartment would b handy for the skimmer cause then i dont have to keep adding water every day, especially if i got on vacation or am not here for a couple days, casue the tank water overflows into the first chamber and that level will always b the same (also providing good flow into the skimmer). Then it will flow into the second part where the LR and cheato will be located so that will b good flow over the LR and through the cheato for some good biological filtration. Anyways the equipment that i plan on using consists of:

This stuff i already have laying around
10 gallon tank
Oceanic biocube protien skimmer
Wal-Mart HOB filter
Koralia nano powerhead
Quiet-One 1200

For lighting (maybe a nice Christmas present hint hint parents :biggrin:)
JBJ 70w K-2 Viper HQI

A question I have for u guys is do u think I'll need a chiller with this light. I have never used MH's before only T5s on my 45. I was planning on having the light high enough to cover the whole tank with light so would this not cause the tank to heat up a lot???

I gotta go tho so ill post some pics of the tank tomorrow. Maybe add some LR from my 45, sand and water. Hopefully the silicon will b dry.

Cheers, Ian

Wayne
12-08-2010, 02:33 PM
A question I have for u guys is do u think I'll need a chiller with this light. I have never used MH's before only T5s on my 45. I was planning on having the light high enough to cover the whole tank with light so would this not cause the tank to heat up a lot???

You may very well have problems with evaporation running metal halides. I would employ some sort of chiller if you can't position the light far enough away from the water for desired temp. I can only assume that if you want metal halides you are planning on a reef setup?

Beanz
12-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Ya I do plan on keeping a mixed reef in this tank. Well I guess I have a while to decide on a light but do u think this 70w fixture would b enough to keep some hardy sps, zoas/palys, and some lps. Or if I plan on keeping sps do u think I should go with the 150w version. Or would the sps just need to b higher in the tank with the 70w. I will have some time to test the temp. when I do get a light to c if I will need a chiller cause the tank will still b cycling. If I do need a chiller what would b a good one for this small of a tank? O and is there any other equipment that u can think of?

Cheers, Ian

Wayne
12-08-2010, 10:31 PM
A 70w over a 10 gallon should be enough for sps, you will need supplimental lighting (atinics). Have you looked into chillers?

Beanz
12-08-2010, 11:34 PM
ok sweet, um i have a coralife dual t5 fixture that has a daylight and an actinic bulb i could probably just get another actinic bulb instead of the daylight. the only problem i c with having this other light on the tank is it would b under the MH and block the light... would i b able to get away with this u think? or what would b another option? and do you really need the blues or is it just aesthetics? i was maybe thinking of some diy leds and hanging then somehow so the MH light is not obstructed. maybe even going with just an led setup. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... hahaha

Cheers, Ian

TheMikey
12-09-2010, 07:44 PM
I wouldn't say it was strictly necessary to put supplemental lighting over your tank. You certainly wouldn't need it for growth and a 8-10 hour photoperiod with either a 14K or 20K halide bulb should give you good colouration and growth.

The only think you need to worry about is evaporation.

Beanz
12-10-2010, 02:45 AM
Ok thats good news that i dont have to spend more money on some blue lights. But i have no idea about what to look for in a chiller. Like what power do i need maybe u could suggest one that i should use. i dont want to go overkill with it and waste money on one thats too powerful and have the tank b too cold.

Cheers, Ian

Wayne
12-10-2010, 03:30 AM
Iceprobe is one to look into, I would see if I could drill into my HOB filter and mount the probe there.

Beanz
12-10-2010, 04:04 AM
ok ill look into that thanks.

Beanz
12-11-2010, 06:24 AM
well idk y i cant post pics on the thread so here is the photobucket link it has some pics from my other tank too
http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb321/Beanz12345/

TheMikey
12-11-2010, 12:12 PM
For a second there I thouhgt you'd somehow fit a yellow tang into a 10g... Looks like a fun little project, though!

Beanz
12-11-2010, 02:09 PM
Hahaha I knew someone would get a little mixed up. Idk y but I can't seem to post or upload my pictures directly to he page hmmmm.... And ya this little tank is pretty fun. I just hope I can still do homework in my room and not be distracted by it lol. And another plus is that the only things I'll have to buy r the light, corals, fish and maybe a chiller or a fan!!!!! Anyways I'll probably add some more pics today with LR and sand.

Cheers, Ian

Beanz
12-11-2010, 08:43 PM
ok so i siliconed the baffles in like a week ago and it still smelled silicon like two days ago. would this b because the silicon was stored in the garage in the cold? ill check tomorrow cause i did silicon some holes that were between the panels. what would b a good thing to do to help the silicon cure faster?

Cheers, Ian

Wayne
12-12-2010, 05:42 AM
Should be cured, is it dry and firm? If so then just rinse with water and you should be good to go. What type of silicone did you use?

Beanz
12-12-2010, 05:45 AM
i used the GE Silicon 1. and yea ill try giving it a rinse tomorrow and c if it still smells. if not then ill get some pics with all the rock and sand in it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wayne
12-13-2010, 03:43 AM
Awesome thats the right stuff! Good luck with the water :lol:

Beanz
12-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Thanks man. Um I am now wondering since I have the tank full of water and rocks, how long do I need to let the tank cycle if I have to at all. Cause I did use rock from my other tank hat has been going for 8 months now and sand from my old fuge. I also filled half the tank with water from my other tank.

Cheers, Ian

Wayne
12-13-2010, 11:34 PM
There won't be much of a cycle at all, depenging on how long the rock was out of water. If just a few minutes then there shouldn't be any die off. Still recommended to wait a few months before adding coral, but hardy fish and clean up crew can go in.

Beanz
12-13-2010, 11:41 PM
Ok, i dont really know what i want for livestock yet i was thinking maybe a goby and shrimp combo or ahhhh idk what would u suggest for suck a small tank? maybe ill get 3 chromis for now and put two in my 45 and one in the 10 to c how he does? Idk what would look good in this tank? and i noticed today that there was a air amt of water that evaporated when i got up and when i got home just a couple minutes ago. what would some options b for an ato without spending a lot of money????? o and what kinda CUC should i get for this kinda tank keeping in mind that i dont want things that will pig out on corals if they have the chance to?

Cheers, Ian

Wayne
12-13-2010, 11:59 PM
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+2124&s=ts&count=24&start=1&page_num=1

Here's a link with a few suggestions. Its all presonal preferance though, just make sure not to overstock. Chromis's or some small clowns would be my first suggestions.

As for auto top off you can go as cheap as about $40 to build one yourself and have it work or as much as $250. I recommend getting one that has multiple redundent safetys to keep your floor dry though. Tunze would be the most commonly recommended one, but its about $200. DIY kits will work and may never fail on you, but be prepared if they do.

Beanz
12-14-2010, 12:34 AM
idk i dont really want clowns cause that seems to b the norm for nanos, they look nice and all but i want something different maybe a green clown goby and ill c if one of the LFS her in calgay can get a red scooter on frozen for me. i could try that and if he starts to fade ill pop him into my 45 cause it has a bunch o pods and a fuge. or maybe just a goby and blenny and some inverts. what are some inverts that wont go after eachother in this small of a tank? and what do would be a good CUC for this tank???????? will blue hermies work they have nice colors and are nice and compact (r they known to pick at corals at all?)

Cheers, Ian

Wayne
12-14-2010, 12:57 AM
Yeah the Red Scooter I wouldn't put in a 10 gallon. Mine at mysis at the store, as soon as he went into my tank he wouldn't touch the stuff.

Blue hermits are ok for a cuc for a tank this small and won't bother the corals. Maybe a cleaner shrimp or something of that sort aswell.

Beanz
12-14-2010, 01:26 AM
ok good to know about the red scooter. i think ill try the blue hermits and maybe a blood shrimp cause they sooooo sick and i already have a skunk in my 45. maybe a pom pom wouldn't b out of the question haha. i think ill try to get a flaming prawn goby if i can get my hands on one havent seem em' in stores and they r expensive in the internet so i might get one in a little bit when im sure my tank is stable. and maybe a tail spot blenny cause they have a lot of personality. I'll have a couple days to decide i guess i might go on the weekend and pick something up and c what the LFS has for ATO's.

Cheers, Ian

Beanz
12-15-2010, 05:14 AM
ok so i got the JBJ Viper K-2 from loberterboy aka john (thanks a ton man). And it looks absolutely stunning over top of the lil 10g:biggrin: the shimmer is amazing with that spraybar. i also went to RC cause well... i wanted to hahaha and picked up 5 lil hermies and a blood shrimp who went berserk when i basted some mysis his way. o and i finally managed to pull a crab from my 45 i think its a porcelain crab but i dont know and i dont wanna put him in the tank and find him eating corals when i get them and never catch him. so could i plz get an ID on him he has kinda feather thingies that he pulls towards his mouth and one big right claw and hes kinda purple with maroon spots. i will post a pic as well as the tank with rocks. o and if the crab is reef safe would i b able to add a pom pom down the road without fighting. and yes yes i know in the shots of my tank u can see the pvc holding the big plate up but im gonna try and cover them up with some LR so it doesnt look like ............. poop:wink:

well idk y but when i try to put a link in the box to post a pic from photobucket it just comes up as like a brocken picture or some thing (sigh) anyways here's the link for the album.
http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb321/Beanz12345/10%20Gallon%20reef%20with%20jbj%20k-2%20viper%2070w%20and%20LR/?action=view&current=IMG_0197.jpg wow lol the pics look kiinda blurry sorry i guess the light is too bright :wink:
http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb321/Beanz12345/10%20Gallon%20reef%20with%20jbj%20k-2%20viper%2070w%20and%20LR/

Cheers, Ian

Beanz
12-19-2010, 02:25 AM
hey guys since i have the tank up and running and have the livestock in there (excluding corals) that i want. which consists of 5 small hermits, a blood shrimp, and a tail spot blenny. so now i have some questions about dosing. what would b the best type of dosing for this small of a tank? could this be done by having a solution in a bucket below the tank and hook up an ATO and make the solution with the correct amt of water and calcium and alk, lost every day. Would this work? or should i just use another salt (using instant ocean right now, what is a good salt if i chose to do this?) and do water changes every week, or add something calcium, and alk. or something???????? to the water that i am replacing? i would appreciate some info.

Cheers, Ian