PDA

View Full Version : Becket skimmer plans

incoma
12-15-2003, 12:05 AM
Hey I m looking for plans for dummies. I want to build one for a future 120g. Also wondering if anyone would want to help with cutting I don't have a table saw. Some tips and suppliers would be nice.
Thanks

Aquattro
12-16-2003, 08:11 PM
There are tons of plans on the net, although no real "dummies" plans. You need to have a basic understanding of skimmers AND acrylic to build these. Once you have the sizes, many plastics shops will cut the pieces for you. Or find someone in your area that can help.

Buccaneer
12-16-2003, 11:13 PM
There are tons of plans on the net, although no real "dummies" plans. You need to have a basic understanding of skimmers AND acrylic to build these. Once you have the sizes, many plastics shops will cut the pieces for you. Or find someone in your area that can help.

Ditto :mrgreen: Well said !

incoma
12-16-2003, 11:15 PM
What plastic shops are reosonable prize and service

Buccaneer
12-16-2003, 11:22 PM
GE Polymers here in Calgary sells the tubes, flat acrylic and Weldon 16 required to build your Beckett ... decide on how big a skimmer you want to build and then give them the dimensions ... practice with some acrylic scraps at first and then put it together like a jigsaw puzzle :mrgreen: :cool:

Cheers

Aquattro
12-16-2003, 11:53 PM
Good site for info

http://www.cyro.com/

StirCrazy
12-17-2003, 01:04 AM
GE Polymers here in Calgary sells the tubes, flat acrylic and Weldon 16 required to build your Beckett
Cheers

don't use 16 unless your cuts are bad. try find weldon 4, it is faster and much stronger.

Steve

Buccaneer
12-17-2003, 05:17 AM
GE Polymers here in Calgary sells the tubes, flat acrylic and Weldon 16 required to build your Beckett
Cheers

don't use 16 unless your cuts are bad. try find weldon 4, it is faster and much stronger.

Steve

Well Steve ... I have built a Beckett skimmer and a calcium reactor using Weldon 16 with no ill effects ... Weldon 4 is thinner and less forgiving IMO

Cheers

spikehs
12-17-2003, 05:20 AM
I keep hearing that the tubing is the most expensive part, how much does it cost/foot and for what diameter?

Buccaneer
12-17-2003, 05:26 AM
I keep hearing that the tubing is the most expensive part, how much does it cost/foot and for what diameter?

If you can get it as a scrap section it will save you some dollars ... I think I paid about 30 dollars for 2 ft of 6" acrylic tube ... 18" for first riser and 6" for collection cup ... ( cant remember if it was extruded or cast ) ... dont matter as it is not under alot of pressure so either will do ... I used 3" for the riser ( traded the last of it to Tony and Jon )

Cheers

BCOrchidGuy
12-19-2003, 01:35 AM
Wow Buk, you got a good deal, out here GE Polymer wont sell tubing cut so you have to buy the whole length. I paid about $60 for 6 feet of 4 inch extruded. They (GE polymer) also told me that you can't get clear acrylic in any size larger than 4 inch and stay with extruded, over 4 inches is always Cast (waaayyy more expensive) but I've found out that rep was wrong, you can get it as extruded.

For the record, Weldon 16 worked well for me, I've got a cheap little wobbly table saw so I guess my cuts weren't all that pretty. A 4in hole saw cut the end peices to the right size for that acrylic tube to slip right in.

Doug