PDA

View Full Version : Hot glue for frags?

apexifd
12-07-2010, 06:37 PM
anyone tried using hot melt glue for frags?? will this cause any problem to the water??

thanks

paddyob
12-07-2010, 06:55 PM
anyone tried using hot melt glue for frags?? will this cause any problem to the water??

thanks

I would worry more about the coral than the water.

Why not use Zap or super glue like most others? Works like a charm.

Zoaelite
12-07-2010, 07:00 PM
I would worry more about the coral than the water.

Why not use Zap or super glue like most others? Works like a charm.

+1 Loctite in the blue tube works and dries fast. I know Cyanoacrylate is safe for aquariums but I don't know what the hot glue sticks are made of.

I personally wouldn't chance it.
Levi

bryceschutte
12-07-2010, 09:02 PM
I use mighty putty. Works great! It hardens after a few minutes.

whatcaneyedo
12-08-2010, 12:55 AM
Hot glue will burn and kill any living tissue it touches. However Anthony Calfo has mentioned its use for mounting coral so I guess it could be alright in some cases. I've used it before to mount a frag disk to liverock. The coral that I mounted has now grown over the disk and the glue. I personally use rubber bands, super glue gel, fishing line and epoxy for 99% of the mounting that I do.

apexifd
12-08-2010, 01:41 AM
I was just trying to explore other options. considering hot glue cures fast!!! and I remember reading somewhere that some mariculture uses hot glue to mount frags.

2 parts epoxy always drive my skimmer crazy, and I haven't mastered the the technique of using crazy glue.

paddyob
12-08-2010, 01:58 AM
I was just trying to explore other options. considering hot glue cures fast!!! and I remember reading somewhere that some mariculture uses hot glue to mount frags.

2 parts epoxy always drive my skimmer crazy, and I haven't mastered the the technique of using crazy glue.

Zap Gel. hold in the position you like for 30 seconds and it should hold in place. Solidifies once it hits water.

Delphinus
12-08-2010, 02:48 AM
I would have guessed regular hot glue would be way too hot, I've gotten some nasty burns from it. I can't imagine the coral will live though that.

The low-temperature-melt stuff might be OK in that regard but no idea if it leeches anything or not. But if Calfo says it's OK it must be OK. But still, compared to the ease of use of superglue gel, why even bother?