PDA

View Full Version : Dosing Potassium?

JohnnyReeftank
12-07-2010, 05:34 AM
Hey Guys....pretty new to the hobby and just picked up my first 2 heads of Frogspawn. Denis at Golds mentioned to me a few times to make sure I keep my Potassium levels up....but I haven't found much on the relationship between the two online so I was wondering if you guys have any info on the matter.

lorenz0
12-07-2010, 06:22 AM
Most people don't dose potassium. I dose it in the 60gal once a week but in all of my other tanks, never.

With LPS, I wouldn't worry about it. I would just keep on your 3 basic's for starters.

ScubaSteve
12-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Makes more of a difference for SPS (though it's debatable). Pretty much all the potassium you'll need will come from water changes if you do them regularly.

Hawkaholic
12-07-2010, 01:12 PM
I noticed better polyp extension on the SPS when dosing potassium.

Myka
12-07-2010, 04:19 PM
It sounds to me like Denis at Gold's was looking for an extra sale! Usually one only considers dosing potassium in SPS dominated tanks. The test kits are expensive (~$35-40), although dosing isn't overly pricey. I say stick to the big three; calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium.

globaldesigns
12-07-2010, 04:55 PM
I agree with the others, just dose the big three. Potassium can be dosed for SPS, I myself was dosing it since the beginning. With the SPS issues I am having, Potassium has been removed from the equation and I haven't seen any drawbacks from not dosing anymore.

I myself am relying on bigger water changes with a good salt. Actually since doing this, I am not dosing anything anymore. It has been a couple months now and the water changes (with Reefers Best Salt) is keeping everything I test for at perfect levels. So maybe just concentrate on water changes but keep testing... And keep the dosing to when necessary.

kien
12-07-2010, 05:12 PM
I have two types of frogs spawn in my mixed reef which are doing great and I have never dosed or tested for potassium ever.

JohnnyReeftank
12-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Roger that....I've only got a 35g so I'll just keep up the water changes.....thx