PDA

View Full Version : PaddyOB's Acan Lords ***Growth Tracking***

paddyob
12-07-2010, 04:04 AM
I have started using Acan Plus over Reef-Roids. I only changed because:

1) I needed coral food
2) It is cheaper than Reef-Roids
3) The pictures posted by the maker looked fantastic.

Here I will post weekly the progress (if any) my Acan Lords make.

I only have two.... so it will be easy to track.

I just took a before feeding and after feeding picture of each and I will post them once my camera dries off.

I have also decided to track my Favia. It has barely grown in the two years I have had it... and after feeding it Acan Plus tonight it had polyp extension I have never seen on it before.

paddyob
12-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Here is my first Acan. The pics of the second Acan never turned out well. I am using a new camera (Pentax W90 waterproof) and I need some time to get used to it. Can't see the viewfinder when my hand is in the tank. So bare with me.

Before feeding Acan Plus...

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=469&pictureid=3964

After feeding Acan Plus. Note the color enhancement immediately after. That amazed me.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=469&pictureid=3965

Cranky When Wet
12-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Looking great! I'm using Acan Plus as well and love it! It works for my Blastos and even my Zoanthids. What I like best is that I can cut down to once a week for Mysis Shrimp making for a much tidier tank. I know you're 'gonna love this stuff; my critters sure do :-)
Bunny

lorenz0
12-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Its an awesome product. Noticed changes in my blastos and acans after the first feeding.

btw, nice acans

RedCoralEdmonton
12-07-2010, 10:03 PM
looking good Patrick.....looks like im going to have to stock up again lol.....

Steve

paddyob
12-07-2010, 10:16 PM
looking good Patrick.....looks like im going to have to stock up again lol.....

Steve

Thanks Steve!

Here's my plug for yah.... Acan Plus available at Red Coral Edmonton! Grab some on your next visit!!! :grab:

RedCoralEdmonton
12-07-2010, 10:42 PM
hahaha nice

Steve

naesco
12-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Anyone know whether it is sold in Vancouver?
Thanks

lorenz0
12-07-2010, 10:52 PM
i'm sure one of the RC's can ship it to you. its worth it

BlueTang<3
12-07-2010, 11:59 PM
Do you feed it at night or durning the day? I tried some none of my lps will even look at it.

paddyob
12-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Night. I have a dusk cycle with my lights and they seem to like it.

noirsphynx
12-08-2010, 12:55 AM
Wow Patrick that's awesome! I think I'll be picking up some of that.

lorenz0
12-08-2010, 01:59 AM
Do you feed it at night or durning the day? I tried some none of my lps will even look at it.

at night when the feeders are out. But you need to turn your powerheads off for 10min

paddyob
12-08-2010, 02:02 AM
at night when the feeders are out. But you need to turn your powerheads off for 10min

I leave my power heads on but turn off my main pump so water does not filter out the overflow.

I let what ever hits the water column circulate for the other filter feeders in the tank for about an hour and then start my pump back up. I target feed the LPS only.

Cranky When Wet
12-08-2010, 02:51 AM
I feed whenever tentacles come out (typically sunset/dusk tank time though they've asked for it some mornings too). I make sure all powerheads off; pumps off; give a teensy drip tease to a couple or three heads to start the frenzy and then the whole colony says "gimmee now."

I mix fairly thick to better control the way the substance drips...not that it isn't amazingly easy to direct.

Oh yes, I leave them to feed for about forty minutes before powering back up as well. I suppose one could do 15 minutes feedings but I like to let them dine elegantly LOL!

Actually, I bought a cheap, curved-tipped, plastic syringe at PMS Hobby, cut the tip off and glued it into the end of a long, plastic pipette thingy... used CorAffix glue and it's held for a month now. That way I can even shoot itty-bitty heads down under. (Hint: cut the little tip off in tiny increments until you get a hole diameter you like to work with.)

If you can find the link to Mjes video showing how he feeds, you'll see the technique (just look for his posts). Letting it go into the water column is kindof wasteful imho... He uses a lot of the food in the video but that's just to show how to do it... all it takes is a nice blob that covers the central area of the polyp and whooopeee.

Once you get a good blob onto a mouth, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised... My Acans are little piggies for the stuff.

>:-) Bunny :laluot_27:

lorenz0
12-08-2010, 05:32 AM
^^^
totally agree. I reduce my flow to almost nothing and feed it really thick

Red Coral Aquariums
12-08-2010, 05:56 AM
Great pics on the Acans.

All three stores will get more AcanPlus at the end of the week. Our two shipments went faster than projected.

Kevin

Lampshade
12-08-2010, 08:06 AM
Wow, those look great, does the acan food feed other LPS as well? Or is it acan specific.

lorenz0
12-08-2010, 08:56 AM
all types of LPS, my chalice even took some of it

Cranky When Wet
12-19-2010, 01:09 AM
Yup and Ditto,

Not Acan specific at all.... I've fed my Blastos, Micromussae, Zoanthids, Duncans, a Frogspawn and even got responses from Tonga Shrooms...

And the real kicker is my Green Spotted Mandarin is actually chasing the stuff down and I believe is feeding on it! The particles are so tiny it's hard to see but the jerking feeding motion of my little Greenie is pretty indicative of eating... and that fat tummy.... how kewl is that!

Bunny

naesco
12-19-2010, 01:43 AM
I managed to get a hold of some.
Looking forward to the results

paddyob
12-19-2010, 09:04 PM
I am feeding 2-3 times a week.

I am now turning off all circulation for 10 minutes as it is definitely much easier to target when everything drops straight down.

I have before and after pics from todays feeding and will post once the camera dries off.

I am tracking my two acans, favia and chalice.

The favia and chalice frags have not grow in two years while feeding reef-roids.

paddyob
12-21-2010, 05:41 AM
Shots turned out great for Acan #2.... it is in an easier place to shoot. note the intense coloration it is getting. Wow. When I got #2 it was red with a purple-ish trim..... definitely gaining more color since starting to use Acan Plus.

I need to re=upload... something funny happened.... all pixelated. Must be the size I edited to.

#2 before feeding...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=469&pictureid=3975

#2 After feeding...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=469&pictureid=3976

MMAX
12-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Haven't fed any of my LPS before, what's a bottle of that stuff worth?

RedCoralEdmonton
12-21-2010, 03:44 PM
$19.99 available at any Red Coral franchise!

Steve

ALang
12-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Wow! that's some awesome colors!
I don't have the Lords, but I am hoping that my little frags will grow up looking even half as good!

RedCoralEdmonton
12-21-2010, 04:38 PM
well time to get some acan plus then!

Steve

JohnnyReeftank
12-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Ya I tried it too.....Zoas seem to like it and I've noticed a few new polyps sprout up overnight. My Trumpet likes it too. I've tried it on my open brain and it shows a feeding response but the next day it always seems to look swollen in some places....not sure what's happening there. Oh yeah....don't be an idiot like me and mix it with ro/di water instead of tank water.....derrr. I've mixed it quite thick with some chopped up Mysis in there too and definately noticed some differences the next day

paddyob
12-21-2010, 06:58 PM
Ya I tried it too.....Zoas seem to like it and I've noticed a few new polyps sprout up overnight. My Trumpet likes it too. I've tried it on my open brain and it shows a feeding response but the next day it always seems to look swollen in some places....not sure what's happening there. Oh yeah....don't be an idiot like me and mix it with ro/di water instead of tank water.....derrr. I've mixed it quite thick with some chopped up Mysis in there too and definately noticed some differences the next day

Swollen looking is good!

Cranky When Wet
12-22-2010, 02:53 AM
Yup, swollen means it's eaten and is happy.... Insert burping sounds here...

Did you know this product has been painstakingly designed by a home boy.... Albertan, Canadian no less!

Jmes (on Canreef) background in health and nutrition is combined with a love of reef keeping. He has a passion for Acans and LPS that led to his experimenting for four years and creating a food that goes far beyond basic fodder and helps your corals thrive!

All too often we put too much faith in exotic or foreign labels... It's time to ditch our national modesty and stand up and recognize we have serious talent right here at home :-)

Let me put it this way.... Acan Plus is to mainstream foods as "Dyson" is to "Electrolux." OK, lousy analogy... but, it is profoundly different.

The Bunny :laluot_01: Acan Plus rules! Way to go dude!

p.s. Newly noted behaviour of our house cat... He comes running when I open the jar of Acan Plus.... he loves the smell!!! And no, I draw the line at feeding it to him LOL!

paddyob
12-22-2010, 04:14 AM
Wait... reason #4 for using Acan Plus.... PRODUCT OF ALBERTA!!! Good thinking!

JohnnyReeftank
12-22-2010, 04:53 AM
Well maybe we should stop posting so there's still some available on the shelves...lol....Kevin was saying it was flying off the shelves. Anyone know what the shelf-life is on these little bottles?

paddyob
12-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Well maybe we should stop posting so there's still some available on the shelves...lol....Kevin was saying it was flying off the shelves. Anyone know what the shelf-life is on these little bottles?

I don't know the shelf life.... but it gets used faster than Reef-Roids for certain. They recommend you mix it thicker than normal so I don't think anyone giving a "healthy" feeding has to worry about shelf life ha ha!

ALang
12-22-2010, 02:58 PM
What about your tank's fishes or snails? Sometimes I target feed the LPSs and get these fishes ans snails cruising around, picking shrimps etc off the polyps.
Do they do that when you feed your acans?

paddyob
12-22-2010, 03:15 PM
What about your tank's fishes or snails? Sometimes I target feed the LPSs and get these fishes ans snails cruising around, picking shrimps etc off the polyps.
Do they do that when you feed your acans?

Yea... my shrimp, blenny and six line also love acan plus ha ha!

Cranky When Wet
12-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Excellent questions about whether fish like it.... if they sneak off with the food before an LPS can finish..... and shelf life too!

Perhaps Red Coral can answer shelf-life questions for you.

I am now certain my spotted Mandarin is eating whatever she can find (Her response is immediate and fast for a dragonet). It's possible your fish will like it as well but remember it's particulate size is teeeensy and easily snarfed down by corals.

Fish haven't posed a problem for me as I take care of one colony at a time. My coral critters close, or "grab" their food quickly. By the time I'm three mouths ahead, the first has shut up nicely (if not faster). It took me only two days to train my LPS to do that. The fish, snails, and hermit crabs don't try to approach if I'm in there. I feed Nori as needed for my giant Cowrie but it really only horns very late at night.

So far, so good. Guess it depends on how your individual fish will respond tho I would definitely speak with Red Coral or Mjes here on Canreef.

Gotta run now... but not before wishing everyone a wonderful Holiday!

Bunny

ALang
12-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Will try to remember to pick some up the next time I'm in.
What with ogling all the corals and fish, I don't usually remember to do anything else. Seems like a great product all around. Can't wait to try it out for myself.

asylumdown
12-23-2010, 05:49 PM
I almost bought some of this stuff last time I was in Red Coral, I'll have to remember to grab some next time I'm there.

paddyob
12-23-2010, 05:59 PM
It is fantastic. All my corals seem to like it.

My Favia is definitely growing and my bubble is outta control! Frogspawn has been regaining it's fullness and I have even moved on to trying it on my zoas.

I have a few "slow" growing colonies I am going to see if they do any better.

I am feeding about 2-3 times a week minimum.

UNFORTUNATELY my F@@@'n camera has stopped powering up and I do not know why. It had some issues when I first got it but it was repaired and now I am ****ed to see it having issues again.

Expensive little camera. I will not buy online again... as a side note. I saved money on the camera but have already had to pay shipping to send it back to Pentax once.... and now I believe I have to again. F&^%&%^$%&*^!!!!!

paddyob
01-06-2011, 11:25 PM
Couple updates... look at tentacle extension on these two....

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=461&pictureid=4006

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=461&pictureid=4004

My Chalice never extended anything in the two years I have had it. Start feeding Acan Plus... Woalah!

paddyob
03-18-2011, 02:36 PM
I have made some changes.

I am no longer using Acan Plus alone. I have no idea what is in it. And as far as the conversations I have had with other reefers... nobody else does either.

One theory I have heard is that it is simply a cocktail of other already marketed products.

I have no idea so I am adding fauna Marin Ultra Clam to the regimen... in fact... I really like it.

I have the EXACT same response that Acan Plus gives but the door is open and we know what we are feeding corals. This is a fact I like.

Acan Plus will POSSIBLY remain in the feeding schedule... but after this bottle is gone I think I will stick with the Ultra Clam.

How ever, I do feel Acan Plus does a good job, just do not like the fact that the ingredients are not disclosed. ANYTHING could be in there.

I also do not like the fact I c an only go to one store to buy this product.

I am a consumer, as we all are, and wish the product was more readily available. It might make the product more transparent.

I also added two more acans... very special ones. Pics will come soon.

Skimmerking
03-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Paddyob the Acan plus is made locally if you didn't know and the person who is making it can only make so much as for the demand in the material used. I know that he uses only grade stuff in there and probably if you ask Red coral where they buy it from they will tell you and you can ask direct, remember thisis a new product and probably the person who is making it didnt think that it was important at the time. may be a thread to start who allow the member to chime in and express what he uses.

RedCoralEdmonton
03-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Red coral also wholesales it out to any other store, all they have to do is contact Kevin..... But the other issue is still there that supplies are always limited because it sells so fast....

Steve

paddyob
03-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Not a thread i am going to start. steve at RCE i thought it was exclusive based on the info in the past.

RedCoralEdmonton
03-18-2011, 10:58 PM
Hey Patrick, it is exclusive as no one has bothered to pick up the line yet, except for the Red Coral stores....

Steve

paddyob
03-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Anyways...

I have made a few changes in my feeding regimen...

naesco
03-19-2011, 12:18 AM
I have an acan that was doing poorly as I initially placed it too high and too fast in the tank.
I have been using Acan Plus and it has really picked up and looks healthy just like the other Acans.

I use a small amount in a 10ml water filled test tube and mix it well. I use a syringe to target feed the acans and all the other LPS that has small polyps.

I don't know what it is made of but unlike the other magic foods it works.

fishytime
03-19-2011, 12:32 AM
Hopefully J will chime in here......but this is the short version .......it is not a blend of other commercially available products.....J would scorn that notion...... he has been slowly working on this formula for two or three years......from what I can tell it is somewhat similar in composition to other brands of coral foods....with two major differences......higher quality ingredients.....and no "fillers"........:biggrin:

paddyob
03-19-2011, 12:39 AM
Hopefully J will chime in here......but this is the short version .......it is not a blend of other commercially available products.....J would scorn that notion...... he has been slowly working on this formula for two or three years......from what I can tell it is somewhat similar in composition to other brands of coral foods....with two major differences......higher quality ingredients.....and no "fillers"........:biggrin:

It worked well for me as well.... I just want more info on the product if you know what I mean.

Nobody uses a salt simply because somebody else says they should. We have seen a lot of those threads as well. People like to know what they are adding to the tank.

ANYWAYS....

Someone please start a thread if they wish to. This is my personal Acan growth thread and would prefer to not use this it for this particular discussion. It will bog my thread up.

Skimmerking
03-19-2011, 01:00 AM
and I will back J up too I know him well and like I have stated that he uses top grade material to make the food.

Snappy
03-19-2011, 02:21 AM
I also added two more acans... very special ones. Pics will come soon. Looking forward to some pictures of those :wink:

paddyob
03-19-2011, 02:40 AM
Looking forward to some pictures of those :wink:

Coming soon Greg.... wonder if I can get them off those plugs without damaging them?

By Sunday I will get the pics up. Want to give them another healthy feeding first :wink:

JMes
03-19-2011, 03:21 AM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73796

Snappy
03-19-2011, 07:10 AM
Coming soon Greg.... wonder if I can get them off those plugs without damaging them?

By Sunday I will get the pics up. Want to give them another healthy feeding first :wink:
Yes they will come off the plugs very easily without any damage. The plugs are simply used as a way to lock them in place on an eggcrate shelf and keep them afloat when shipping or transporting. Just use any cutter blade, even scissors should work, between the plug flat and the bottom of the acan rock flat and it will pop right off.

paddyob
03-20-2011, 09:30 PM
OK.... Here is what I plan to do.

I have two new Acan Frags. Both almost identical in size (Approx 4 heads each).

One I will target feed Acan Plus. The other Fauna Marin Ultra Clam.

I will post pics later of both and the race will commence!