PDA

View Full Version : Thorite

Bryan
12-14-2003, 10:07 AM
Anybody know if Thorite Underwater cement is available in the Lower Mainland.

http://www.einfo-net.com/fish/experts/article01.html

thanks

Diomedes
12-15-2003, 05:26 AM
I buy thorite cement @Industrial Paint and Plastics in Langley. As for underwater varieties, there is one thorite derivative that works best IMO for making quick bonds that cure underwater (I cement together all the live rock in my displays).

Good Luck

Stephen
www.aqualibrium.org

Bryan
12-15-2003, 06:34 AM
Thanks Stephen, I will give them a call. Which product do you recommend. Is it the 100 as recommended in the web site.

Diomedes
12-15-2003, 07:06 PM
If it is an american website, the product names or brands may be different. I suggest you try Waterplug, a thorite derivative that sets very quickly, but make sure you use ice water to mix it, or it will set in 3 minutes (~7 with the cold water). I mix small amounts into a putty like texture then apply, and spray with saltwater all over the whole thing. Work from the bottom up, and cure resulting structure in a big drum of saltwater circulating fast for three days. Don't put any real strain on the bonds for ~1-2 hours. As far as I know, I am the only one to use this fast setting stuff, but the slow setting variety is common and can be used with more patience.

Good Luck
Stephen

PM me if you have problems

Bryan
12-16-2003, 02:38 AM
Have you ever tried cementing rocks in the tank with the waterplug (thorite), according to the Seascope web page it can be done.

I have often wondered why thorite is not more commonly used. The two part epoxies commonly sold in the hobby are useless for any type of structural strength.

Diomedes
12-16-2003, 09:37 PM
I have used waterplug in 20+ different rock structures and displays, but I never actually apply it underwater, if that is what you mean. It should be possible, considering waterplug can be used to seal very powerful leaks in certain structures. But it sets so quickly that doing it outside the tank really doesn't harm the rock or the corals if used to attach frag bases.
IMO Waterplug is superior to epoxies in many ways, especially when you learn to use it properly and efficiently. If you ever want to see a tank that has three rock columns completely bonded with Waterplug, check out Beecher Street Cafe in Crescent Beach, White Rock. The food is awesome as well.

Good Luck
Stephen
www.aqualibrium.org

Bryan
12-17-2003, 05:12 AM
I will be picking up some of the Waterplug mix tomorrow. i plan on cementing a few frags in the tank to see how it goes. If successful I will work on some landscaping. Here is a snippet of the MSDS for the product

Calcium hydroxide 5%
Silica, Quartz 30%
Calcium carbonate 5%
Portland Cement 35%
Calcium aluminate 40%