PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else from the Rock onboard..

hippo!
12-05-2010, 01:33 AM
Hey guys. Just curious to see if there are any other Newfoundlanders here...I know there are a few of us in Alberta too lol.

Cheers,

nlreefguy
12-05-2010, 02:02 AM
Yep, I'm from the rock! Don't see many newfs on here... or any other fish boards for that matter!

harper
12-05-2010, 02:27 AM
Im not from the rock, but I feel like I live there :p

reefwars
12-05-2010, 02:28 AM
Hey guys. Just curious to see if there are any other Newfoundlanders here...I know there are a few of us in Alberta too lol.

Cheers,

born and raised now in edmonton:):)

shannon32
12-05-2010, 02:29 AM
and then there were 3 :fadein: and counting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nlreefguy
12-05-2010, 02:34 AM
alberta... newfoundland... what's the difference? lol

shannon32
12-05-2010, 02:37 AM
we got fort mac and reddeer am i missing one ?

reefwars
12-05-2010, 02:55 AM

ft mac eh the largest city in newfoundland:):)

shannon32
12-05-2010, 02:57 AM
u know if we all go back at the same time she will sink 4 feet lol
:lol:

reefwars
12-05-2010, 02:58 AM
shhhhhhhhh dont tell anyone but im thinking about starting a store with a friend from there in the years to come, it will be a home based business and we actually already started renovations in the basement for it.:):) goal plan is 2 yrs im constantly doing research while im here and keeping in touch with those in nl to see how the sw world is doing down there,once the misses finishes school we plan to move there:):)

2 yrs is the goal so we will have to see:):)

skabooya
12-05-2010, 04:46 AM
My husband was born and raised in Newfoundland. Hes from Seldom on Fogo Island.
I just visited there my first time last summer. Beautiful place and i would totally move there if jobs ever went up for the both of us :)

Skimmerking
12-05-2010, 02:05 PM
BORN in ST John's live on 131 White away street . father was in the army there...

viperfish
12-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Born, raised, and started a family in Grand Bank. I've been in Alberta for the last 15 years. The only salty air I get to smell around here is around my fish tank. Ha ha!

hippo!
12-06-2010, 12:43 AM
Yep, I'm from the rock! Don't see many newfs on here... or any other fish boards for that matter!

funny about that, I see a few on an east coast forum (ARRG) but not near as many as I know that run marine tanks...weird

good to see you here!

hippo!
12-06-2010, 12:46 AM

hehe,
spent a few years in the sands, ran into more people from school on site than I see back on the rock....funny stuff

hippo!
12-06-2010, 12:50 AM
and then there were 3 :fadein: and counting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey shannon,

hippo!
12-06-2010, 12:53 AM
shhhhhhhhh dont tell anyone but im thinking about starting a store with a friend from there in the years to come, it will be a home based business and we actually already started renovations in the basement for it.:):) goal plan is 2 yrs im constantly doing research while im here and keeping in touch with those in nl to see how the sw world is doing down there,once the misses finishes school we plan to move there:):)

2 yrs is the goal so we will have to see:):)

keep it on the small side to keep costs down, go with reasonably priced coral and frags and you'll do well I think.

hippo!
12-06-2010, 12:54 AM
BORN in ST John's live on 131 White away street . father was in the army there...

Cheers!

hippo!
12-06-2010, 12:58 AM
Born, raised, and started a family in Grand Bank. I've been in Alberta for the last 15 years. The only salty air I get to smell around here is around my fish tank. Ha ha!

Hear that, lol. Ever get back for a visit?

hippo!
12-06-2010, 12:59 AM
My husband was born and raised in Newfoundland. Hes from Seldom on Fogo Island.
I just visited there my first time last summer. Beautiful place and i would totally move there if jobs ever went up for the both of us :)

There are worse places to be for sure.

Jamieh
12-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Also from Nl. Grew up on the Burin Peninsula and have called Saskatoon home for last 8 years after a stop in Alberta.

paddyob
12-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Alcatraz? Lol.

viperfish
12-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Alcatraz? Lol.

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad292/roskinner/AAAAApC60uUAAAAAAQG8Ig.png

hippo!
12-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Hey Jamie, I see the Burin Pen. is well represented here lol

viperfish
12-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Also from Nl. Grew up on the Burin Peninsula and have called Saskatoon home for last 8 years after a stop in Alberta.

I'm thinking Saskatchewan might be my next move. Once Ed Stelmach succeeds in driving the oil patch out of Alberta, that's where the next boom will be.

hippo!
12-07-2010, 10:36 PM
For sure. Looked like it was gonna kick before I left the sands last year. We were looking at a lot of contracts/projects over the border before the downturn. Only a matter of time (doubt if it's too far away either).

BrentC
01-30-2011, 12:09 AM
I'll join in on the fun. c:

Currently living on the Bonavista Peninsula.

Northernseacorals
01-30-2011, 12:20 AM
I'll join in on the fun. c:

Currently living on the Bonavista Peninsula.

Awesome possum, welcome to the mix mate!!

BrentC
01-30-2011, 01:02 AM
Pretty glad to be here. It's nice to see some other Newfies online; we're hard to come by. :mrgreen:

Skimmerking
01-30-2011, 01:29 AM
Like my Father said you take all the Newfie's out of the army, there wouldn't be a army anymore.
You put them back on the Island and the Island would sink.

reefwars
01-30-2011, 02:17 AM
when was the last time you were back mike??

home feb 11th for me :) new tank journal coming up now soon enough i think hummmm i wonder how big i could go before she sinks lol??:)

Skimmerking
01-30-2011, 04:06 AM

hippo!
01-30-2011, 02:01 PM
might notice a few changes lol

Northernseacorals
01-30-2011, 06:29 PM
might notice a few changes lol

Like there is never anything in the bloody grocery store because it's so picking busy !
:lol::lol:

hippo!
01-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Like there is never anything in the bloody grocery store because it's so picking busy !
:lol::lol:

gotta come in past the overpass to get a good selection of grub lol

strickrick
02-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Nice to see the involvement. I only know a few that are really into the SW side of aquariums.

I'm born and raised and still living on the rock. Just curious to see what kinda setups the locals have here. I'm down to a 10g with a pair of clowns, my 75g cycling full of LR for when I get my 120x30x30 (~465g) and my 125g (sump to be). I will have to start a thread of its growth once I finally get the tank.

reefwars
02-15-2011, 04:08 PM
finally home on the rock:):) so starting a 60g 24" custom cube brought all my glass with me from edmonton and brought my liverock as well glad to say it all made it down fine:)

so i did my rounds on the fishstores here and i gotta say.......well im not sure what to say but i do know that im setting up a pile of frag tanks and ordering in a pile of coral......i dont like the high prices and the lack of availibilitiy.

i have plans in motion to set up a home based business selling coral and coral only im gonna try to bring in rare corals and corals not found normally here and im not going to be charging an arm and a leg and my ultimate goal is for things to be accessible and affordable as it should be......lets face it finger leathers shouldnt be sold for $60-80 and an open brain shouldnt run you over a $100.........alot of people know me from edmonton and most know me as a deal finder and a place for free great advice and i strongly dislike those who sell for way more then they should or see people as dollar signs.

i wont be opening your typical store front there will be no dry goods no excess of empty tanks no liverock bins no fish.......its a hobby and a passion for me first and with all the years ive been reefing ive learned that friends are your best customers and that a good name gets passed around very fast.

i cant compete with large retailers for buckets of salt i cant compete against lighting or other things bought by bulk and sold for less.

im gonna sell what i know and thats corals so to cut down cost ill be opening my house to others ill have a display set up and some small frag tanks , im gonna treat it as my home tanks everything will be healthy and looked after all day and night. i have someone to buy nice corals from reguraly and ill fill my display and frag tanks with these corals. ill be placing orders as often as i can and the idea is to sell something from my tank and replace it with something else. if something doesnt sell right away then i keep it healthy while it grows untill it does sell. after so many years in this wonderfull hobby ive learned what sells and what doesnt.

i have a plan written up and in the process right now of building it all and once running im gonna treat it like my own tanks, after all this is my passion and my hobby first and not a overnight money maker.

i plan to offer aquarium maintanance and to build custom tanks and stands as well as bring in coral that we all want not just what sells at the local big chains:)

my overall goal is to make things here more affordable easier to find, to have the salty community more together and make it easy for new comers to join the hobby without being rich.im going to be offering free advice even if it means me coming out to your house to give it ill be offering tank maintenance and building custom tanks and building stands of all kinds and designs.

long term would eventually see me starting up bigger tanks although i believe i am always just gonna offer coral for a good price and mainly offer advice and knowlege and friendly gestures to those who can use it.

its great to be home and in a place i truely love doing what i truely love, i hope to bring alot of new people into the reefing world and make alot of new friends.............and as we all know you cant go anywhere in this hobby by yourself it takes friends,knowlege,and sometimes a helping hand to truely enjoy and uderstand this beautiful hobby:):)

cheers all hope to talk to alot of you soon!!!!!!:)

nlreefguy
02-15-2011, 08:34 PM
That all sounds awesome and totally necessary in this market. Like you said, the availability and price are two glaring problems in the local market here (check out Pets Unlimited for some sticker shock! I'm not kidding guys, try $169 for a marine comet or $139 for a small rock covered with zoanthids. Plain...... brown...... polyps.) You're doing something I've been wanting to do for years, just never had the discipline to get to it. I truly wish you the best of luck, we all will be better off for it - and I'll be speding some time at your place for sure!

reefwars
02-16-2011, 12:20 AM
That all sounds awesome and totally necessary in this market. Like you said, the availability and price are two glaring problems in the local market here (check out Pets Unlimited for some sticker shock! I'm not kidding guys, try $169 for a marine comet or $139 for a small rock covered with zoanthids. Plain...... brown...... polyps.) You're doing something I've been wanting to do for years, just never had the discipline to get to it. I truly wish you the best of luck, we all will be better off for it - and I'll be speding some time at your place for sure!

yeah i was sad when i went to see what we have and i know there are quite a few reefers here on the island so why should we pay 10x more then anyone else well i wont stand for it and im gonna do what i can to change it.....at tmp i asked a few questions and got very poor responces and no one answered my emails and at pets unlimited i was just speechless.......we really need a saltwater dedicated store that wants to see all the saltys have all the advatages that those in other cities do:)

im here to help and i think thats my calling i have known this for a while now and though it may be slow going if we all work together we can come up with something great for everyone.in this hobby were like family and thats a great start.

the major problem i see here is it seems like the stores that are here are purely out to make a business and not improve the situation....i guess they see no need to improve if they are doing well with what they have going on....

ill be funding most of this my self right down to begging for pennies if i have to but im talking with some people who are interested in investing in my project and the hobby will take off here it just needs some motivated people with their hearts in the right spot. i believe that person is me everyone i talk to about it hears the passion i have for this and using the resources i have i want to change it.

i strongly believe communication is lacking here as we dont even know how many are here doing this hobby so over the next few weeks im gonna be spreading the canreef word down here and getting other reefers i know here to join up and with time and communication i can have something set up in the way of a friendly place to come hang out talk about marine life and ask questions.my home will be your home and if the suppliers in this province dont want to join in with us to make it better then they will see a drop in sales and lose customers......while we will gain friends and knowlege like nothing else:):)

def alot of passion here and thats the best start i can think of all my motives are honest ones and in the end i hope to meet alot of new friends and family and start something where even the newest hobbyst can come in and feel comfortable knowing they got the best service and hospitality hands down:):)

if it doesnt then i end up doing what i love anyways raising coral and making friends:):) cheers and hope to meet you all soon:)

reefwars
02-16-2011, 12:25 AM
what are we doing here in the way of a reefers meet???

if there is something running pls let me know when your meeting next so i can meet you all if theres not then well lets get this thin rolling and ill make up flyers and pin them up everywhere i can think of and start calling the reefers i do know here:) cheers guys this all has me very excited and in a way were all already friends:):):)

nlreefguy
02-16-2011, 02:03 AM
i'll let you know when I know something, I'm in the group so when I look at our next date, I'll message you.

BrentC
02-16-2011, 03:10 AM
That all sounds really great! Actually, the main reason I don't have a marine tank yet is price. Maybe now I'll actually be able to afford something. Not like I have a job yet, at my age. :)

It'll be nice to meet you all, if this works out.

Good on ya' reefwars! :biggrin:

reefwars
02-16-2011, 03:21 AM
That all sounds really great! Actually, the main reason I don't have a marine tank yet is price. Maybe now I'll actually be able to afford something. Not like I have a job yet, at my age. :)

It'll be nice to meet you all, if this works out.

Good on ya' reefwars! :biggrin:

hey brent welcome to canreef:):) when your ready to set one up shoot me a pm its not as pricey as you think although the prices at the store may seem that way but with a little help and some friendly advice its easy japaneasy;) cheers buddy:):) keep reading the forums utill your ready and youve already cut your cost in half;)

BrentC
02-16-2011, 03:40 AM
hey brent welcome to canreef:):) when your ready to set one up shoot me a pm its not as pricey as you think although the prices at the store may seem that way but with a little help and some friendly advice its easy japaneasy;) cheers buddy:):) keep reading the forums utill your ready and youve already cut your cost in half;)

Thanks, and will do. :)

Just gotta sort out my 25g FW first. Freakin' velvet. :wink:

As for reading, I don't know what's left! :razz: Been on aquarium forums for nearly two years now. Canreef is a new one though. I've read most of the important articles for getting started by now, at least. When I am ready, I'll probably need to talk to you about plumbing and lighting though. Just can't seem to comprehend it from reading alone. Anyways, enough about me... :blah:

Oh, and look at the time. Ought to go to bed. Cheers, and again, good luck with this business of yours, for all of us Newfie's sake. :mrgreen:

hippo!
02-16-2011, 08:17 PM
good to see you made the trip back safe and sound.

sounds like your plan is in place, def. needed.

gowayby
02-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Im new on here and also from Newfoundland! :smile:

reefwars
02-18-2011, 05:04 PM

welcome to canreef friend its a great site and very friendly:):) tell us somethig about your tank:):)pics are always sweeeeeeeettt!!!!!:):)

hippo!
02-19-2011, 12:40 AM
welcome!!

Northernseacorals
02-19-2011, 01:01 AM
Welcome mate!!!

Yahoo, more peeps from the rock and soon we can have a frag sawp n meet

reefwars
02-19-2011, 02:09 AM
spread the word , canreef is a great site to organize stuff and keep in touch with fellow reefers so if you have friends wth tanks get them to sign up, the more of us that get together the better the hobby will get for us all here on the rock:):) communication is the key if we are all isolated reefers then we will pay isolation prices and isolated service;)

glad to see alot of new members here :):)

BrentC
02-19-2011, 09:59 PM

Welcome, welcome, welcome! :)

nlreefguy
02-19-2011, 10:52 PM
OK, I just posted a blog for the St. John's Reef Club on blogspot with address nlreefers.blogspot.com so go check it out and help me with the site design - I've never done this before and I think it shows. I'm having a few issues there but it's a start! Let's help grw it into a community portal where we can share info and post updates on group activities, group buys, etc. I'll maintain it as actively as I can and try to post on it regularly.

Northernseacorals
02-19-2011, 11:22 PM
OK, I just posted a blog for the St. John's Reef Club on blogspot with address nlreefers.blogspot.com so go check it out and help me with the site design - I've never done this before and I think it shows. I'm having a few issues there but it's a start! Let's help grw it into a community portal where we can share info and post updates on group activities, group buys, etc. I'll maintain it as actively as I can and try to post on it regularly.

I am glad that the Blogspot suggestion worked out mate, I look forward to reading updates!

hippo!
02-20-2011, 12:52 AM
local frag swap........could it be??? :)

good to see things are starting to happen..

cheers,

Katie3G
02-22-2011, 03:53 AM
I am new to the forum and live in St. John's.

reefwars
02-22-2011, 04:06 AM
I am new to the forum and live in St. John's.

welcome katie to canreef:):) very friendly site:) can you give us a sneak peak as to what you have running????:):) pics are always nice too!! cheers:)

Katie3G
02-22-2011, 04:32 AM
I have a 55 gal and a 10 gal. Having had some problems with ich, the tanks are fish fallow. I do, however, have some soft corals in both tanks and some SPS in the 55. The softies include a green toadstool, Fiji Gold leather, kenya tree, cauliflower (not sure on the exact species), zoanthids, mushrooms, some nicely coloured ricordia florida and a sympodium. The LPS include torch, green frogspawn, blasto merleti, fox and candy cane.

reefwars
02-22-2011, 04:51 AM
I have a 55 gal and a 10 gal. Having had some problems with ich, the tanks are fish fallow. I do, however, have some soft corals in both tanks and some SPS in the 55. The softies include a green toadstool, Fiji Gold leather, kenya tree, cauliflower (not sure on the exact species), zoanthids, mushrooms, some nicely coloured ricordia florida and a sympodium. The LPS include torch, green frogspawn, blasto merleti, fox and candy cane.

hey thats sweet sorry to hear about the ich , but it sounds like you got it under control.are you running a sump and skimmer??

Katie3G
02-22-2011, 04:56 AM
No sump. I have a skimmer on the 55. The 55 has 4 54 watt T5 bulbs, canister filter and one powerhead (I am about to get another powerhead). The 10 has power compact lighting and a hang on filter.

reefwars
02-22-2011, 04:59 AM
No sump. I have a skimmer on the 55. The 55 has 4 54 watt T5 bulbs, canister filter and one powerhead (I am about to get another powerhead). The 10 has power compact lighting and a hang on filter.

right on sounds cool i hope we get to see some pics soon:):) i just started building a 24 " cube tank complete custom build with lots of little goodies planned hehehehe:):)

Katie3G
02-22-2011, 05:04 AM
Sounds like fun. What do you have planned?

reefwars
02-22-2011, 05:30 AM
Sounds like fun. What do you have planned?

well i just finished putting the tank together yesterday and i will be doing the overflow here asap......finished product will be a zoanthid dominated cube havent thought on livestock yet ive always been one to keep it down to a minimum so i would guess a pair of clowns more then likely cinnamon clowns and a pair of bangai cardinals maybe a mandarin if i can make it to the 1 year mark;)

im going to be setting up some frag tanks as well will be mostly zoas and lps so theres some plans in the works to be had here soon;) theres a new reef club in the city it just started and i will be going wed evening plus it seems alot of new people are joing this site from here so thats always good too:):)

nlreefguy
02-22-2011, 10:06 AM
right on sounds cool i hope we get to see some pics soon:):) i just started building a 24 " cube tank complete custom build with lots of little goodies planned hehehehe:):)

Yeah, it's great to see people from Newfoundland on here and I hope we get to see more from them. Just a reminder to all that we now have a reef club (meeting this Wednesday at the Newfoundland Hotel at 7 PM in the bar!) and a reef club blog at nlreefers.blogspot.com so join up, send us some pics of your tank(s) and I'll put them up with everyone else's (just mine currently, haha). Great to see more involvement from the Rock!

Katie3G
02-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Reefwars, a tank of zoa's sounds very nice. I love the brightly coloured zoa's. Unforuntately they seem difficult to obtain. Where are you planning on getting your zoa's?

I don't have any photos of my tanks yet. Perhaps in the near future - but no promises.

reefwars
02-22-2011, 03:02 PM
Reefwars, a tank of zoa's sounds very nice. I love the brightly coloured zoa's. Unforuntately they seem difficult to obtain. Where are you planning on getting your zoa's?

I don't have a photos of my tanks yet. Perhaps in the near future - but now promises.

def wont be getting them here lol as ive noticed maybe 3-4 different kinds so that wont fly lol so as luck would have it i know some people and will be getting them shipped to me....the beauty of zoas are they are hardy shippers for the most part, and alot of times are just shipped in wet newspaper;)i wil be buying colonys and fragging them to smaller pieces and im going to try and stay with the theme of affodable zoas thas going around out west as i honestly hate the high pricing of things and know for a fact it can be alot cheaper.....alot of the stores are putting a very very high mark up on their livestock....makes me sad and a little mad;)

hippo!
02-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Welcome Katie!

hippo!
02-22-2011, 08:51 PM
meeting this Wednesday at the Newfoundland Hotel at 7 PM in the bar!

what better spot to meet could there be??

that reminds me to going to Aguarium Fanatics (local LFS) they were located next to Chess's Fish and Chip take-out always had a chuckle at that (sorry off topic)

nlreefguy
02-22-2011, 11:29 PM
what better spot to meet could there be??

that reminds me to going to Aguarium Fanatics (local LFS) they were located next to Chess's Fish and Chip take-out always had a chuckle at that (sorry off topic)

Anybody have any idea of what happened to them, by the way? They had a great store and then they just disappeared. Did they just move or are they our of business?

hippo!
02-22-2011, 11:34 PM
store closed down but they are still around

did have a nice shop though, loved the display.

nlreefguy
02-23-2011, 01:23 AM
Yeah, they had one of the nicest tanks I've ever seen, bar none. Lots of interesting fish and corals always in stock - best store in town, really. Too bad they had to close, small market I guess.

hippo!
02-24-2011, 07:36 PM
Yeah, they had one of the nicest tanks I've ever seen, bar none. Lots of interesting fish and corals always in stock - best store in town, really. Too bad they had to close, small market I guess.

bar none...

missed by many, good quality, prices and advise

Katie3G
02-25-2011, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the welcome Hippo.

BigRedSpecial
02-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Another Newfoundlander here; originally from Central, living in Mount Pearl now. Met up with Katie, NLreefguy, Reefwars and a few others earlier this week and was told everyone was on here, so here I am. New to Canreef but I've been on Reef Central for a few years.

Reefwars: your signature is hilarious (Less so to my girlfriend however).

Northernseacorals
02-26-2011, 09:15 PM
Another Newfoundlander here; originally from Central, living in Mount Pearl now. Met up with Katie, NLreefguy, Reefwars and a few others earlier this week and was told everyone was on here, so here I am. New to Canreef but I've been on Reef Central for a few years.

Welcome to the mix mate!!

reefwars
02-26-2011, 09:51 PM

hahaha you should have seen my last one took up most part of any screen :)

welcome to the site im sure youll like:)

hippo!
02-26-2011, 11:21 PM
Welcome red!

Boxboy
09-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Another Newfoundlander here guys/gals: Born and raised in St. John's, spent most of my life there! But currently living on Ontario for the last several years..
Miss home, must visit again soon. Glad to see and hopefully meet some fellow people from da rock!

mufflerfist
12-22-2012, 12:56 AM
Been in Newfoundland fir 2yrs now (military) and im looking into setting up a 50G or so sps tank... Ive been reading (and dreaming) about this now for 6yrs now.. I would love to get together next time you guys meet.. Ive been collecting equipment for a few years now and im almost ready.... Hope to talk to you guys soon..

kole
07-17-2014, 11:29 PM
Old thread but just wondering if any of you are still in the hobby? I've been doing some group orders and getting some new corals. Lets hear whose still around and what you've been up to.

christhecannon
09-04-2014, 12:19 AM
I'm pretty new to canreef but live here in St. John's, I have a 90 g with a 30 g sump. Been reefing for about 4 years, love it!

mufflerfist
01-12-2015, 01:45 AM
Looking into getting into reefing. I live in Paradise. Wouldn't mind meeting a few reefers to get a few ideas on getting started

newf99
03-05-2015, 02:36 AM
Looking into getting into reefing. I live in Paradise. Wouldn't mind meeting a few reefers to get a few ideas on getting started

Hi,

We have a Facebook group called St.John's reef club. Great place to meet other reefers and get in on group orders.

Great hobby!

Good luck!