PDA

View Full Version : DSB Plenum

darb
12-04-2010, 05:05 PM
I want to use a piece of egg crate to create a plenum for a DSB, but I need a barrier to keep the substrate out.

I thus need some type of super fine mesh, any ideas for a source?

Other ideas include a synthetic cloth from a textile store or geotextile cloth, but I would be especially concerned about leaching with the latter.

Any ideas?

monocus
12-04-2010, 05:13 PM
i have a roll of white landscapers mesh that i used on mine-it's 16 inches wide and as long as you want-don't bother buying any , i'll give you some

Doug
12-04-2010, 05:26 PM
I want to use a piece of egg crate to create a plenum for a DSB, but I need a barrier to keep the substrate out.

I thus need some type of super fine mesh, any ideas for a source?

Other ideas include a synthetic cloth from a textile store or geotextile cloth, but I would be especially concerned about leaching with the latter.

Any ideas?

Most use common window screen. As long as its not the metal type but plastic or whatever it is.

mark
12-04-2010, 06:41 PM
thought the plenum idea sort of went out of favor and just a straight DSB gives the same results

darb
12-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Most use common window screen. As long as its not the metal type but plastic or whatever it is.

I was going to use a mix of grain size and the finer grains of sand would probably eventually work through the screen.

thought the plenum idea sort of went out of favor and just a straight DSB gives the same results

Did it? I never came across any articles that said don't use a plenum and plenty that said to use them. I don't see how a plenum could really hurt, but that very well could be proven wrong .....

Doug
12-05-2010, 12:30 AM
Use a larger grain on the bottom 2 in. I liked something close to the 5mm sized crushed coral or perhaps something similar from Carib Sea. Then another layer of window screen to keep diggers from the bottom layer. Top 2in. or amount your using could be finer. The Carib Sea 2mm aragonite is something I used. Could also mix some of the finer with it.

The larger gravel on the bottom of complete bed, allows better diffusion through to the plenum.

My friends however is all 2mm aragonite. Oh and his tank is now over 10yrs, with it. Many still use the plenum. Perhaps not as popular as once but either is dsb. Shallow and bare are the more popular options now.

There is still a regular plenum column in Aquarium Fish mag. which now contains FAMA

gobytron
12-07-2010, 02:28 PM

incorrect.

A DSB is easier to remove/switch but a plenum offers significantly better conditions for anarbic bacteria than just a dsb.

Reefer Rob
12-07-2010, 03:58 PM
I would go with no plenum (well really I'd go BB), it's easier to take out the DSB if you get sick of it. You won't have to tear your whole reef apart.

Myka
12-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Are you sure you want a DSB? They have become much less popular in the last 6-8 years or so. What are you hoping to achieve? Why do you think the DSB is the best way to achieve that?

I've heard of people using landscape fabric too, just make sure it isn't treated with pesticides or such like some are.

darb
12-08-2010, 04:29 AM
I am 100% convinced that a DSB with plenum is the only way to go. In a nutshell I believe that the more of an ecosystem that we can adapt to a tank the better environment we can provide. Properly managed, like any other form of life it will be a great asset.

But quite frankly there is no right or wrong answer, maybe better informed answers but no right or wrong answer. If someone was to perhaps fund a scientific study of a bank of tanks with and without a DSB over perhaps a decade, then then that would be grounds for a concise position.

I actually currently have SSB in my nano (20 long sumpless) for obvious reasons, but my next upgrade will have a DSB either intank or sump ...

But this project is actually for a FW tank experiment that I want to try, it should also work in FW, hopefully.

Myka
12-08-2010, 03:59 PM
I am 100% convinced that a DSB with plenum is the only way to go. In a nutshell I believe that the more of an ecosystem that we can adapt to a tank the better environment we can provide. Properly managed, like any other form of life it will be a great asset.

I think you're right to a certain extent, but by no means do I think all the effort and imo "risk" is needed to achieve a healthy environment. As I'm sure you know, it is important to make sure grain sizes are correct and in the proper place within the DSB, and that the correct microfauna are introduced to look after the DSB. DSBs will often go "sour" after a few years, and people have all sorts of theories as to why this happens. Personally, I don't think it's worth that risk when we have all sorts of other options these days. Things like an efficient algae chamber in the sump for chaeto and a properly setup refugium for microfauna (note: these two are very different and separate from eachother) can achieve the same results in a natural way, but without what I consider the "risk" of a DSB. That's just my opinion though. :)

But this project is actually for a FW tank experiment that I want to try, it should also work in FW, hopefully.

Hmmm...well I may be wrong here as I'm not up to snuff in the FW world much anymore so I may have forgotten a few things, but I don't believe there are anaerobic bacteria in FW that will process nitrate like they do in SW. I believe the only way to be rid of nitrate in FW is plant growth. I wouldn't mind hunting around the net for some published info on that to see if I'm correct for sure, but sorry I don't have time right now. Please correct me if I am wrong, and if you stumble across a link to describe please post. :)