PDA

View Full Version : Question for all of you that have or SELL controller's

The Grizz
12-04-2010, 02:10 AM
I am planning on getting a controller for the 8'er and have a few questions because I can't find the answer any where else.

I want a controller that can control / monitor my sump cooling fan and heater (that has never even been plugged in) and ph.

My question is this, is there a unit that can do the above and monitor your salinity as well? And the heck is ORP?

untamed
12-04-2010, 02:15 AM
Without listing specific controllers, the things you are looking to do seem very easy for most controllers

The Grizz
12-04-2010, 02:19 AM
Ok I am looking into an APEX but cant find any info that it can monitor salinity.

kien
12-04-2010, 02:23 AM
Pretty much all of the main controllers (GHL Profilux, Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper, Neptune Systems AquaControllers) will do everything you want them to do. What you have to do is decide first which vendor you'd like to go with. Do a little review research, talk to people on the forums who have the various controllers and decide which one you'd like to invest in. Then, once you have picked one, figure out which sub packages you need to order to achieve your goals.

For example, with the Profilux you can buy a base unit which just does simple temp monitoring and controlling with a temp probe. Then you can add on probes and controllable sockets and fans and lights a la cart. Or, you can buy the Profilux Plus EX II pro Super Duper Awesome Comes With Everything package which will include all of the above, minus extra LED lights fans, etc.

The other vendors are more or less the same approach. Buy a "Simple/Getting started" base package and then add on various probes and gadgets, or buy the Full Blown Super Package that has mostly everything.

So, the bottom line is, they will all do what you've listed, you just have to figure out which platform you think you might like better. That is, once you've added up the total cost of all the various pieces to do everything you want the controller to do, one vendor my come out cheaper than the other, etc.

PS. There are other controllers but those are the big 3. In my opinion if you want best overall support I would stick with those three.

mattdean
12-04-2010, 02:23 AM
Check out a Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Lite or reefkeeper Lite PLUS. It can do all that and more at a very reasonable price. I am very happy with mine.

As for monitoring salinity, it can do that, but why do you need to watch it constantly? A refractometer is easy and fast. Salinity doesn't change often, unless you are topping off manually, or don't measure your salt water for changes.

kien
12-04-2010, 02:27 AM
Ok I am looking into an APEX but cant find any info that it can monitor salinity.

For many of these controllers salinity is also measured in and referred to as conductivity.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Neptune_Systems_Apex_AquaController_PM2_Conductivi ty_Temperature_I_O_Expansion_Box_Monitor_Controlle r_Accessories-Neptune_Systems-NS3333-FITEMOAC-vi.html

The Grizz
12-04-2010, 02:32 AM
Pretty much all of the main controllers (GHL Profilux, Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper, Neptune Systems AquaControllers) will do everything you want them to do. What you have to do is decide first which vendor you'd like to go with. Do a little review research, talk to people on the forums who have the various controllers and decide which one you'd like to invest in. Then, once you have picked one, figure out which sub packages you need to order to achieve your goals.

For example, with the Profilux you can buy a base unit which just does simple temp monitoring and controlling with a temp probe. Then you can add on probes and controllable sockets and fans and lights a la cart. Or, you can buy the Profilux Plus EX II pro Super Duper Awesome Comes With Everything package which will include all of the above, minus extra LED lights fans, etc.

The other vendors are more or less the same approach. Buy a "Simple/Getting started" base package and then add on various probes and gadgets, or buy the Full Blown Super Package that has mostly everything.

So, the bottom line is, they will all do what you've listed, you just have to figure out which platform you think you might like better. That is, once you've added up the total cost of all the various pieces to do everything you want the controller to do, one vendor my come out cheaper than the other, etc.

PS. There are other controllers but those are the big 3. In my opinion if you want best overall support I would stick with those three.

Thanks Kien, I have been checking out different controllers. Do you have a controller? What brand.
Check out a Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Lite or reefkeeper Lite PLUS. It can do all that and more at a very reasonable price. I am very happy with mine.

As for monitoring salinity, it can do that, but why do you need to watch it constantly? A refractometer is easy and fast. Salinity doesn't change often, unless you are topping off manually, or don't measure your salt water for changes.

The main reason the I want to monitor salinity is that I can get so busy at time's( like the last month 0 days off and about the same for down time) that my misses helps to keep tank going but does not really understand it.

kien
12-04-2010, 02:33 AM

See, this is where you have to do your research because in fact, the ReefKeeper Lite if purchased by itself CAN NOT do what you are asking because it does not include all the various probes. So if you just went and ordered a Reef Keeper Lite you'd get:

ReefKeeper Lite Basic ($99.99)
1 x RKL Head Unit
1 x PC4 - Power Controller 4
1 x DA iTemp Temperature Probe
1 x SID - System Interface Device
1 x Programming Coupler
4 x Mounting Screws

Again, all the main controllers have the capability to do everything you want it to do but you have to research what extra probes, packages, costs you'll have to apply. Or figure out if the vendor has a package that already includes or mostly includes everything you're looking for.

The Grizz
12-04-2010, 02:35 AM
For many of these controllers salinity is also measured in and referred to as conductivity.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Neptune_Systems_Apex_AquaController_PM2_Conductivi ty_Temperature_I_O_Expansion_Box_Monitor_Controlle r_Accessories-Neptune_Systems-NS3333-FITEMOAC-vi.html

Boy I feel like a dumb ass now, I knew that but it took you to say it for it to click in my run down, dog tired gray matter. Thanks again Kien.

kien
12-04-2010, 02:36 AM
Thanks Kien, I have been checking out different controllers. Do you have a controller? What brand

I run a Profilux with all the bells and whistles. Very flexible powerful and automates my entire system but if I were in the market for a new controller I would not buy it again. :lol: With all that flexibility comes complexity and it has been a huge headache to get set up. I try not to touch it because I fear it. Seriously, it is brutal to use. I would probably buy one of the other two instead.

kien
12-04-2010, 02:37 AM
Boy I feel like a dumb ass now, I knew that but it took you to say it for it to click in my run down, dog tired gray matter. Thanks again Kien.

Well, unlike you I DID NOT know that until I actually tried to buy one myself :wink:

The Grizz
12-04-2010, 02:45 AM
Well, unlike you I DID NOT know that until I actually tried to buy one myself :wink:

One of the few thing I remembered from school, that and how to sneak out of the school and not get caught to go well let's just say......................get happy.:biggrin:

The Grizz
12-04-2010, 02:53 AM
Ok so I think I have it figured with some inlightenment from Kien. Here is what I might look into.

Neptune Systems Apex Lite Controller Package:

-Package includes: Apex Lite Base Unit, Apex Display Module, Temperature Probe, and Energy Bar 8 Module.

And add on:
- Conductivity Probe
- pH Probe - Lab Grade
- ORP Probe - Lab Grade

Any other suggestion for add-ons

Edmonton newbie
12-04-2010, 02:56 AM
did you figure out what the orp probe is yet?

The Grizz
12-04-2010, 03:05 AM
did you figure out what the orp probe is yet?

Not 100% but I think it could stand for Oxidation Reduction Potential. :noidea:

Edmonton newbie
12-04-2010, 03:16 AM
oh ok :redface:

Coleus
12-04-2010, 03:20 AM
Ok so I think I have it figured with some inlightenment from Kien. Here is what I might look into.

Neptune Systems Apex Lite Controller Package:

-Package includes: Apex Lite Base Unit, Apex Display Module, Temperature Probe, and Energy Bar 8 Module.

And add on:
- Conductivity Probe
- pH Probe - Lab Grade
- ORP Probe - Lab Grade

Any other suggestion for add-ons

The standard package and unit won't allow you to measure salinity. To monitor salinity, you need to buy the probe ($130 ) and the PM2 module ($92)

Also The Apex base unit supports 3 probes. (Temp, pH, and pH/ORP). The Apex. Lite only supports 2 (Temp, pH)

untamed
12-04-2010, 03:30 AM
Make the orp probe the last you add. There is much debate about what orp can really tell you. It certainly is not as easy as "orp should be X". When it drops, it suggests that something has changed, but you don't know what.
You can manipulate/control orp with ozone, bit even that can be tricky because the orp readings can be normally erratic.

The Grizz
12-04-2010, 04:14 AM
The standard package and unit won't allow you to measure salinity. To monitor salinity, you need to buy the probe ($130 ) and the PM2 module ($92)

Also The Apex base unit supports 3 probes. (Temp, pH, and pH/ORP). The Apex. Lite only supports 2 (Temp, pH)

Hey Tai, thanks for jumping in here.

So can I add the PM2 to the Apex lite? That would give me 2 probes on the base unit and 2 on the PM2. Is the ORP probe a must have?

PoonTang
12-04-2010, 04:24 AM
You only really need the ORP probe if you are going to run Ozone. The probe will control your ozone generator so that you can set up a parameter and have the Apex keep the reading steady. Also you only really need 2 pH probes if you are running a Calcium reactor. 1 probe for tank pH and one for reactor effluent pH. Same thing as the ozone, the apex will control the co2 solenoid based on the effluent pH you set it up for. The only other thing i would suggest getting is called the breakout box. You can hook up 6 electronic float valves or water sensors. Good for controlling ATO, sump levels, flood detection, RODI, etc. I am going to try to pick one up for my Apex along with another EB8 as I have found I ran out of outlets.

The Grizz
12-04-2010, 04:33 AM
You only really need the ORP probe if you are going to run Ozone. The probe will control your ozone generator so that you can set up a parameter and have the Apex keep the reading steady. Also you only really need 2 pH probes if you are running a Calcium reactor. 1 probe for tank pH and one for reactor effluent pH. Same thing as the ozone, the apex will control the co2 solenoid based on the effluent pH you set it up for. The only other thing i would suggest getting is called the breakout box. You can hook up 6 electronic float valves or water sensors. Good for controlling ATO, sump levels, flood detection, RODI, etc. I am going to try to pick one up for my Apex along with another EB8 as I have found I ran out of outlets.

Not running Ozone or calcium reactor, have a whole house RO system, lights are controlled by my timer board. Just want to monitor the pH, salinity and temp and if I read it right the PM2 has inputs for float swiches for ATO.

The Grizz
12-04-2010, 04:36 AM
Make the orp probe the last you add. There is much debate about what orp can really tell you. It certainly is not as easy as "orp should be X". When it drops, it suggests that something has changed, but you don't know what.
You can manipulate/control orp with ozone, bit even that can be tricky because the orp readings can be normally erratic.

I don't think that I am going to add a ORP probe because I have not been able to find enough info to tell me that I need to have this in my tank the way it is set-up.

doch
12-04-2010, 04:46 AM
I was planning in the Apex route until the LFS talked me into DA RKE. VERY glad I went with the reef keeper. Very easy to set up, and from what I've heard it's a little cheaper. Just going from what I've heard about the Apex, I'd go DA.

The Grizz
12-04-2010, 04:56 AM
I was planning in the Apex route until the LFS talked me into DA RKE. VERY glad I went with the reef keeper. Very easy to set up, and from what I've heard it's a little cheaper. Just going from what I've heard about the Apex, I'd go DA.

So what exactly did you get including probes and such. Looking at DA's site now.

Coleus
12-04-2010, 05:08 AM
not sure about the DA RKP, the main thing that mademe pick the Apex over RKP was ability for me to remotely monitor and control all outlets through smartphone or internet. So if i left town for 2 weeks i still know what is going on.

I don't think you need Orp proble. PM2 module has the outlet for you to hook up the breakout box. You still need the breakout box to monitor floatswitches.

If you decide to go with Apex, get the standard package and breakout box. Try that out first and then add other stuff later

Also, if i ever get to buy a controller again, i would buy Apex again because how easy i got things to work the way i want it. However, I also heard bad story about it so i can't recommend. Tinman may sell his, pm him

The Grizz
12-04-2010, 05:12 AM
I am looking at the DA site now and from what I see they have a mod that is called NET so you can monitor from anywhere. So far the new DA models are very comparable for less $$$$. Still doing lots of research.:biggrin:

Coleus
12-04-2010, 05:14 AM
I am looking at the DA site now and from what I see they have a mod that is called NET so you can monitor from anywhere. So far the new DA models are very comparable for less $$$$. Still doing lots of research.:biggrin:

i guess the DA version offer that ability now. Before it could not that is why i went with Apex. Is there any smartphone app that can work with it?

The Grizz
12-04-2010, 05:15 AM
i guess the DA version offer that ability now. Before it could not that is why i went with Apex. Is there any smartphone app that can work with it?

Not sure but I would think there would be by now if they added the NET mod. That would be sweet as i have an Iphone now.

Coleus
12-04-2010, 05:19 AM
Not sure but I would think there would be by now if they added the NET mod. That would be sweet as i have an Iphone now.

according to this post

http://www.forum.digitalaquatics.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6854

the answer is NO

Coleus
12-04-2010, 05:21 AM
ok the post is wrong. There is one out there

http://iphoneappsplus.com/utilities/ireef/index.htm

So there you go :-)

Coleus
12-04-2010, 05:27 AM
base on what i am reading, seem like you can monitor your system with RKP with iphone but not controlling the outlets. Some one with RKP need to confirm this.

The Grizz
12-04-2010, 05:35 AM
base on what i am reading, seem like you can monitor your system with RKP with iphone but not controlling the outlets. Some one with RKP need to confirm this.

Yes for sure, some more info needed.

SO how are you, the misses and the twins doing these days?

Coleus
12-04-2010, 05:37 AM
Yes for sure, some more info needed.

SO how are you, the misses and the twins doing these days?

Everyone is doing well except my tank. Thanks for asking :-)

The Grizz
12-04-2010, 05:40 AM
Everyone is doing well except my tank. Thanks for asking :-)

You are having some issues as well? Everything in my tank seems to be doing ok except for my clams and I have been so busy the last month that the tank needs some TLC.

Coleus
12-04-2010, 05:42 AM
You are having some issues as well? Everything in my tank seems to be doing ok except for my clams and I have been so busy the last month that the tank needs some TLC.

No issues, just that i sold most of my corals because of angels I have so ... you know, plus don't have much time to proper care for the tank

The Grizz
12-04-2010, 05:50 AM
I hear you there on the time issue. No clams in your tank that you want to sell?? :lol::lol:

So far the DA is about $200 cheaper for the same things

kien
12-04-2010, 06:30 AM
I have all the probes for my controller, temp, salinity, ORP, pH. The only probe I find useful is the temp probe. It controls the aquarium temp with the heaters and fans.

The other probes, completely useless and a waste of money for me.

ORP - I know what it is measuring but I have no idea what it means :) I never pay attention to it.
pH - kinda neat to see but for the price of the probe it really does not add anything useful to me. Been watching my daily pH go from 7.7 to 8.3 for over a year now. I have never done anything with my pH and I don't even notice it anymore.
Salinity - again, neat to see but hardly ever changes plus, with my probe I have to clean and calibrate it often to get an accurate reading. And by often I mean every 3 days. At that rate of maintenance I'm better off just using the refractometer. I used to use it to control my salinity until it failed. Once it got too dirty or miscalibrated it would read a bad (false low) salinity value and try to dump too much salt water to compensate. Thankfully it wasn't a disaster but it was annoying. Even this probe I ignore now because I can't be bothered to clean it as often as it seems to need to be cleaned.

Sorry there may have been a bit of ranting there LOL. Seriously tho if my controller died tomorrow I would get a basic controller (apex or reefkeeper) with a temp probe and network add on and call it a day.

The Grizz
12-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the rant I mean info :lol:on your controller Kien every little bit helps.

doch
12-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Ok, I've got the RKE which is with the NET module. I can monitor everything from anywhere. As is right now, I cannot make changes anywhere but at re tank. I contacted DA about it, There is a 2.0 firmware rat apparently allows for this. I don't have it... Yet. There is an Iphone app as well as an Android app, but nine for my much detested Blackberry. In order to monitor salinity you need the SL2 and a salinity probe. I don't have this yet either, but soon. This mod also gives you 2 extra switch pits and another temp (I'm going to use the extra temp and a type J thermocouple to tell me if my furnace is working! Lol). The email notifivations are super easy to set up. This is a big advantage. The Apex is apparently not very easy to set up. From what I've heard at least. Either way, the controllers are AWESOME to have for someone who spends time out of town.

lastlight
12-04-2010, 05:43 PM
Yeah I've never seen the point in probes for all that either. Maybe if I needed ph probe for a reactor but I dose. So my Ranco could in theory replace Kien's profilux only he'd have no networking and it would look ghetto lol.

Kien if all the controller is really doing/relying on is temp probe...what can you even do over the network that's of use? Shut lights off if temp is too high? Of course you can see the current temp which is nice too but for the cost I'm not sure.

PoonTang
12-04-2010, 05:44 PM
I chose the Apex because of the support out there and the fact that I could monitor and control my tank from anywhere either by phone or Internet. The Apex also allows you to receive alerts both by text messages to your cell and emails. Another reason that I went with the Apex was they already had stuff built into their controllers that DA had been promising for a year and still not delivered.

kien
12-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Yeah I've never seen the point in probes for all that either. Maybe if I needed ph probe for a reactor but I dose. So my Ranco could in theory replace Kien's profilux only he'd have no networking and it would look ghetto lol.

Kien if all the controller is really doing/relying on is temp probe...what can you even do over the network that's of use? Shut lights off if temp is too high? Of course you can see the current temp which is nice too but for the cost I'm not sure.

Network access has been handy to remotely monitor and control temp, lights, powerheads, doser :). Also you need the net module to get email alerts which is nice. Can I live without it, yea. Of all the "needless" add ins tho that one is the most "useful".

The nice feature about my controller has nothing to do with any of the probes. My controller is used to interface with my lights (halides, actinics, moon), powerheads (programable tunzes), and doser. All of these things need to be programmed and controlled so it is nice to do all of that in one place. The alternative would be separate controller/timer for lights, dedicated tunze pump controller, stand alone doser or timers for dosing pumps. Being able to control any power socket is handy too. I can remotely cut power to any component (skimmer, return pump, reactors, etc).

I would assume the big 3 controllers can all do those things as well. Not 100% on that tho, might want to research if any of those extra controlling features are useful to you.

Coleus
12-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Temp probe is a must

Ph proble is also good because it saved my tank once time when i do something to my tank and forgot to turn replug my power head and return bump. So guess what, my ph dropped like crazy so i got an alarm tell me something is wrong with the tank.

Coleus
12-04-2010, 07:44 PM

You can program so that the light auto shut off if temp is too high. Thing that i like to do over network is

1) Feed and watch my fish when i am away. I have a camera in front of my tank and i can control my feeder :-)

2) If i forgot to turn off something when i left the house, i can still do it when i am away from home

3) It works like a TV remote control. I can control the outlets without has to go near the tank, I can use the Apex display but I found iphone UI app is much easier to use

4) Also, not happen to me yet but what if one day you are out of town and get a phone call from your wife saying" water is on the floor" because a snail got into the return line . I would want to able to shut off just the return pump remotely and leave powerhead on. I am sure most of our wives would not know which power to unplug :-)

doch
12-05-2010, 12:06 AM
I am sure most of our wives would not know which power to unplug :-)

Oh My God!! This is exaqctly why I wanted a controller in the first place!!

OK... how do you have control over your feeder? I've been trying to figure out a way to do that. What kind of feeder? Also... how do you have the camera set up? I would LOVE this! Only down side to the camera is that I love coming home after 4 days at work and looking for new gowth... camera might ruin that! lol

Coleus
12-05-2010, 12:40 AM
I used Rena feeder where it will rotate the drum when on. So I turn off then on to make it rotate. I used a network camera and there is iPhone app to control it

The Grizz
12-05-2010, 04:20 AM
Still up in the air on what brand I want to go with, keep the experience with your controller's flowing every bit of info will help us all.

I will respond to all the input as soon as I get some of the new goodies I picked up in Calgary in my tank.

Thanks to one and all for your input, much appreciated. :biggrin:

The Grizz
12-05-2010, 05:58 AM
I used Rena feeder where it will rotate the drum when on. So I turn off then on to make it rotate. I used a network camera and there is iPhone app to control it

Tai, you have the feeder plugged into the power outlets that are controlled by your APEX and when you want to feed the controller turns the power on, drum turns and then the controller turn off the power. Is that how it works??

The Grizz
12-05-2010, 06:01 AM
I am sure most of our wives would not know which power to unplug :-)

I know for a fact my wife would have no idea what plug to pull even with them all labeled like I have them. Another reason I want a controller.:biggrin:

The Grizz
12-05-2010, 06:05 AM
I chose the Apex because of the support out there and the fact that I could monitor and control my tank from anywhere either by phone or Internet. The Apex also allows you to receive alerts both by text messages to your cell and emails. Another reason that I went with the Apex was they already had stuff built into their controllers that DA had been promising for a year and still not delivered.

The RFE has a module called NET that does the same thing and now comes with both the RKE and the RKL packages.

Doug
12-05-2010, 02:36 PM
I have had my Reefkeeper for close to 4yrs. now. Not a problem except a temp probe failure. I now keep them on hand and replace as needed, every year or so, just in case. Also had nothing but great customer support from them.

I would have no problem going with one of the newer RK models but if I had a large tank and was doing it all again may choose the Profilux models sold by several of our sponsors.

The Grizz
12-06-2010, 05:08 AM
So I think I am leaning towards the Reef Keeper Elite, here is what I would get:

ReefKeeper Elite (NET)
Package Contents:
1 x ReefKeeper Elite Head Unit (GC1)
2 x RKM-PC4 (total of 8 outlets)
1 x RKM-SL1 (Inputs: pH, ORP, Temperature, 2 x Switch Ports)
1 x RKM-NET
1 x Temperature probe
1 x Digital Aquatics pH probe
1 x SID - System Interface Device
1 x 6' USB Cable
1 x 6' Bus Cable
2 x 3' Bus Cable
2 x 1' Bus Cable
1 x 7' CAT5 Ethernet Cable
10x Mounting Screws

SL2
Package Contents:
1 x RKM-SL2 module
1 x 3' Bus cable
2 x Mounting Screws

I would also get a double float switch and when available the new version probe for conductivity.

Slick Fork
12-06-2010, 06:04 AM
I've got the profilux and am quite happy with it. I would consider the controller as an investment... consider all the things you'd love to do to the tank and buy the controller that will grow with you.

With a tank your size, I would NOT buy the cheapest one that will "work for now". It should facilitate your add-on goals, not limit them.

The Grizz
12-06-2010, 03:01 PM
I hear ya Chris, I really don't for see any more major add-on to this tank. I am almost happy with the way it is and the RKE has a lot more that I could add down the road. I just like the simple set-up factor, I have talked to a few people with both APEX and RKE and most say RK is a little easier to set-up and run. As my wife will have to be show how it work to it has to be a little easier.:lol:

Slick Fork
12-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Don't know what the other two you are looking at cost but this is a good deal on a profilux

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=70598

The Grizz
12-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Don't know what the other two you are looking at cost but this is a good deal on a profilux

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=70598

Hey Chris I just looked into the link you sent me and I can get everything I want for about $100 more. With the start up kit I would have to add about $400 more for the add on mods and probes.

RyanJ
12-20-2010, 06:07 PM
I have the Neptune Apex bud.. and I cant say I have tried the others! but i love the Apex! (Not the Lite) The light only has 1 PH port! and no Digital Inputs for float switches! But from what I have seen the Apex kicks some ass! And you do not need to buy additional Addons for it to be used on a network! its a All in one unit! But like I said I have not tried the others at all! But my experience so far is awesome! and the iphone app kicks some serious ass!. IMO they all do the same thing! but soe do it cheaper and easier! Im NO programming master But this thing was soo easy to setup! and even easier to use! The shitty thing is that I do need to buy the breakout box for the condictivity and then I will be happy! BUT on a word of caution! do not order factory direct they are kind of dumb! I ordered mine from then cuz they said it would come with a ph probe! for the same price that JL has it on there site! so i thought what the hell! Well. when I got it, the PH probe was not there... and when I looked at the invoice they knocked off 40 bucks! I was like Hell yeas! but that wasnt the case! They took out the PH probe and shipped it to me without informing me that they were Taking the ph probe out.. Then AFTER we were all said and done they wouldnt admit fault! or ship a ph probe! they offed $10 off the probe tho! But i had to pay shipping again.. Was kinda Effed up!! I just thought someone would like to know that!!!