PDA

View Full Version : DIY tank

BCOrchidGuy
12-13-2003, 11:12 PM
I was thinking that it's way to expensive and risky to build a wooden tank, then I got thinking, what about if I built a tank with 1/2 ply, 2x4 reinforcments but instead of doing the inside of the tank with 2 part epoxy etc, maybe I could do it with 1/4 inch acrylic. I'm not planning on a large tank but for a 120 gallon reef ready I'd be looking at $600, I could use 1/2 inch plexi for the front (would that be thick enough?)

So my idea is, build a 3 sided box with a bottom, run 2x4s up and down on the sides and then across the back, and bottom (across being length wise). Then simply insert 1/4 inch acrylic to fill in the box, glue it up.. etc etc etc..

Any input?

Doug

UnderWorldAquatics
12-13-2003, 11:30 PM
If you bumped a rock against, or a rock fell against the acrylic, it could easily crack and then your tank would slowly leak. Not a stable way to build a tank in my opinion. And for $600 you could get a custom reef ready glass tank from mitch at cameron managment in calgary.

BCOrchidGuy
12-14-2003, 04:30 AM
I don't need a custom, but I will look into his tanks, I assume shipping would be expensive.

I doubt the acrylic would crack, if it was butted up against the ply but that's why I put up the post to get input.

Thanks for the input, I still haven't priced it out to do it the way I posted, it may be as expensive or more.

Doug

kuatto
12-14-2003, 05:31 AM
Doug
I was thinking on doing the same(along with a few other ideas,materials)
my biggest concern also was what if the rock fell and cracked the plexi,then i thought secure the base rock on plastic egg crate(nice wide stable base)and then secure each piece as you start to stack on top using epoxy or marine silicone.the egg crate could be buried out of sight.Just a thought :biggrin:

Jim

Chin_Lee
12-14-2003, 05:36 AM
Don't know what kind of acrylic you're using (cast/extruded) but one would have to be very negligent to "bump" 1/4" acrylic for it to crack - unless you are bumping it with a hammer & chisel. 1/4" acrylic is pretty strong under the described use by Doug; it will scratch if bumped with a rock but very unlikely it will crack. Doug I would use cast acrylic if you are planning to do this - much stronger.

Also, for 600 i think you can get a tank from Mitch at Interamerican http://go.to/interamerican with regular glass. I just bought a starphire 180 g with exterior overflow, polished edges and eurobracing for 1000. Shipping is $100 + taxes of $77 total $1177. I think I would have paid around 800 total if it wasn't for the euro bracing/polishing and starphire. I think you can get basic 120g for about 600-700. Give Mitch a call, good guy to talk to. (shipping has to be to a business though)

kari
12-14-2003, 06:37 AM
Have prices gone up again? I paid under $600 for a custom 180 a few years ago.