PDA

View Full Version : Question about dosing ZeoVit products.

The Grizz
12-02-2010, 02:42 AM
This is for all of you that use ZeoVit additives and it kind of sounds like a really really dumb question but would like to know what everyone else does.

When you calculate how much to dose do you include the water volume in your sump as well as your DT.

Milad
12-02-2010, 02:49 AM
This is for all of you that use ZeoVit additives and it kind of sounds like a really really dumb question but would like to know what everyone else does.

When you calculate how much to dose do you include the water volume in your sump as well as your DT.

(DT water volume + sump water volume - rock displacement) / 2

Milad
12-02-2010, 02:50 AM
FYI
every-time i followed the bottle instructions i always got problems so i just do half of what it says.

The Grizz
12-02-2010, 02:58 AM
(DT water volume + sump water volume - rock displacement) / 2

Ok I cant wrap my brain around how to calculate rock displacement.Why do you divide by 2?

Milad
12-02-2010, 03:03 AM
Ok I cant wrap my brain around how to calculate rock displacement.Why do you divide by 2?

well looking at your signature if you got decent amount of live rock id say you are around 140g? if that sump is half full.

The Grizz
12-02-2010, 03:16 AM
My sump volume is 65 gal + 165 gal DT = total water volume is 230 gal. But not 100% sure how many lbs of rock is in the tank and sump. When I re-do my rock work soon I should weight it all, will that help to determine the displacement?

xtreme
12-02-2010, 03:22 AM
My sump volume is 65 gal + 165 gal DT = total water volume is 230 gal.

Yes but how much water do you actually have? Most sumps run around half full I would guess so call yours 35 or so? Then in your display there is probably only ~140 gallons of water after you subtract rock displacement etc. So I would base your dosing, Zeo or otherwise on ~175 g system and not a 230g system.

And I agree with Milad, start with half doses for zeo.

xtreme
12-02-2010, 03:26 AM
This calculator (http://reef.diesyst.com/volcalc/volcalc.html) might help, it allows you to enter the weight of your LR and LS to help determine water volume.

The Grizz
12-02-2010, 03:33 AM
The sump running is 65 gal, I have calculated the volume of all chambers individually to get that. The sump full of water is 80 gal. When I filled the tank before rock it was 165 gal before it started to spill into the sump and with the rock I would guess it would displace 25 gals.

The Grizz
12-02-2010, 03:39 AM
This calculator (http://reef.diesyst.com/volcalc/volcalc.html) might help, it allows you to enter the weight of your LR and LS to help determine water volume.

Cool this will help once I figure out how much rock will be in the tank and sump when redone.

cuz
12-02-2010, 03:40 AM
spend some time on the zeo site and do your reading!! Its well worth it. I was dosing wrong for quite awhile and it led to nothing but troubles.

The Grizz
12-02-2010, 03:47 AM
spend some time on the zeo site and do your reading!! Its well worth it. I was dosing wrong for quite awhile and it led to nothing but troubles.

Will be doing that for sure, the only things I am thinking of dosing is Coral Snow, Magnesium Complex, Strontium Complex, Trace Element Complex, Amino Acid Concentrate LPS and maybe Pohl's K-Balance Potassium. But will decide after some more research

Milad
12-02-2010, 04:28 AM
+1 on coral snow
that stuff makes your water look like glass. i dose it every water change.

The Grizz
12-03-2010, 03:39 AM
I thought coral snow was to be used daily, how often do you do water changes?

Madreefer
12-03-2010, 03:50 AM
Yes it is supposed to be used daily. But every second day is sufficient. I jumped on the Zeo bandwagon and at first "thought" I seen results. My thoughts now? Waste of money. Only thing that I use now is the Coral Snow. When I used the other products I seemed to get a small patch of cyano the next day. That was at half of the recommended dosage on the bottles.

The Grizz
12-03-2010, 04:14 AM
Has anyone used the mag concentrate of ZeoVit's?