PDA

View Full Version : We don't know how good we got it.

StirCrazy
12-13-2003, 04:09 PM
Well after my 8 LFS tour of San diego I can honestly say I am very supprised at how crappy there selection and quality of corals are compared to what is available to us up here.

I must say that I was Very impressed with a couple of the stores layouts and size, and that for softies, LPS and fish they are very impressive but as far as SPS goes I was dissapointed.

as for dry goods, the only MH bulbs sold in san diego are hamilton and iwasaki it seams and when I asked about AB and Ushio they said you have to to go LA for the high quality bulbs. :rolleyes:

I did get a cood deal on a retrofit coralife PC set up for the 25 gal that was on clearance.

now on the other hand I did get about 1000.00cdn worth of acrylic tubing :wink: :mrgreen:

Steve

robbyville
12-13-2003, 07:22 PM
You're right about that Steve,

I lived in the US for 3 yrs. I got into this "hobby" while living in Pasadena (close to LA). I dealt with many people and found some great products and livestock. There are a few spectacular dealers.

What surprised me the most upon returning to Canada is that livestock prices factoring in exchange are generally cheaper or similar in Canada to the US. the largest pricing difference is in equipment. It is generally much more expensive here to get into the hobby. Plus, selection in the states is much better, especially in acrylic tanks.

By the same token, ease of purchase is unbelievable in the states. Especially on-line with companies like live liveaquaria, Tampa Bay Saltwater, etc. shipping is simple and insured, so live guarantees abound. I guess that's the difference when shipping companies have to serve 100+million people vs. 30 million in Canada!

Best,

Rob

robbyville
12-13-2003, 07:29 PM
Whoops, I should have said "Not counting exchange", i.e. A beautiful Flame Hawkfish in the States can be priced between $40-$50 USD, the same fish here in Canada is similarly priced but in CDN dollars.

Dry goods are generally very reasonable from places like J&L but again, not as large of selection.

Rob

zulu_principle
12-13-2003, 11:07 PM
lets here about the acrylic tubing dimensions ?

StirCrazy
12-14-2003, 01:20 AM
lets here about the acrylic tubing dimensions ?

um I think I got 1", 2", 3", 4", 6" and 9" I have a few DIY projects to make in the near future :mrgreen:

Steve

BCOrchidGuy
12-14-2003, 05:25 AM
A few? do tell, you're becoming a legend.

Doug

ldzielak
12-14-2003, 07:07 AM
Got any extra? I may need to build a skimmer, thinking about another tank in the new year.

Lee