PDA

View Full Version : 95g partitioned multi mantis tank new years build,

Polscot
11-30-2010, 10:59 PM
so its happened im addicted to mantis shrimp.....i currently have 1 orange spot, 1 peacock and my newwest havented IDed yet, its a full red smasher....

so heres the plan, i want to tank a bigger tank so bout 50ish and somehow partition it so i can fit 1 mantis per 10g now i need to have all the filtration to work easily still so i cant partition to the top, but i dont want the little guys to hop over into eachothers homes.....also i dont wanna cap each section cause it makes feeding a pain......brainstorm and help me design something that will be perfect, im looking to hold 4 smaller mantis, 1-2" of each color i can find

reefwars
12-01-2010, 12:25 AM
i guess you could modify a sump to house different species or just take a tank and make your own partitions.i think a coast to coast over flow would work best for you:):) my 200g has 75g partitioned off for a pred section:):)

Lance
12-01-2010, 12:38 AM
How about egg crate dividers. Will 1/2" squares be small enough?

reefwars
12-01-2010, 12:42 AM
How about egg crate dividers. Will 1/2" squares be small enough?

thats a great idea and if they werent small enough you could put two sheets together slightly off set to make the holes smaller:):)

o.c.d.
12-01-2010, 01:36 AM
All Mantis lovers may want to check out the new issue of Coral magazine. The issue is on Mantis Shrimp and wow crazy photos and of course good info. I'd also like to mention if no one has Coral mag is now a Free App for Iphone or Ipad.

Polscot
12-01-2010, 10:35 AM
the eggcrate prolly would work but im thinking something more appealing to the eye, and most small mantids could prolly crack and break through eggcrate if they wanted too

Polscot
12-02-2010, 01:36 AM
so heres what im brainstorming, it will be a 5 pod unit, 5'x1'x1' each section will be roughly 10g so 55g total. there will be a coast to coast overflow to allod skimming to all pods, and a return into each pod, the dividers will be blacked acrylic so the mantids dont get to stressed. the tank will be most likley glass as the species ill get will be to small to break it....but if acrylic is cheaper then ill get that lol. the overflow will flow down into a sump/refiguim witch will most likley hold a peacock mantis, OR just tons of feeder shimp/crabs/fish and macro algae......refugium sump will prolly be in the 40g area making a 95 gallon total set up...

my paint skills arent great but heres a rough idea, ill prolly be getting it made by kevin at red coral, in the new year im thinking......i would love feed back from the exped reefers :)

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/jasonpolscot/tankdesign-1.jpg?t=1291257503

Kevin if you see this can u PM me a rough estimate of what you think it would cost please?