PDA

View Full Version : LED group buy?

Milad
11-30-2010, 05:24 PM
Anyone interested in an LED group buy? im about to buy 130+ LEDs. I can probably get them somewhere around $3-$4 an LED if others want in.

CREE 3w Royal Blue XR-E
CREE 3w Cool White XP-G

ScubaSteve
11-30-2010, 06:08 PM
Where you getting them from? I'm interested in a couple as I want to make some blue LED "spot lights" to highlight a couple colonies at night.

Milad
11-30-2010, 06:11 PM
im ordering form a CREE supplier in Cali,
these are really powerful lights so im not sure if i would use them as "moonlights" way to powerful for that.

JonT
11-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Where you getting them from? I'm interested in a couple as I want to make some blue LED "spot lights" to highlight a couple colonies at night.

+1 to that.

PM me the details as you put your plan together. I would be looking for about 6-8 and whatever is needed to make it a "wide" spread.

ferret
11-30-2010, 06:17 PM
Hi Milad

Do the supplier you mentioned carries the XP-E royal blue ( color bin - D5 )instead of XR-E

ScubaSteve
11-30-2010, 06:38 PM
im ordering from EGT
these are really powerful lights so im not sure if i would use them as "moonlights" way to powerful for that.

Nope, not using them as moonlights per se. I want to experiment with a different lighting concept... something that isn't actinic and not moonlights. I have my tank design really to be super glowy at night time as that is the only time I ever really get to spent with it. I want to spotlight a couple of the really showy and glowy colonies for a couple of hours after actinics but before moonlights. I'll have a dimmer for them to gradually decrease to from high to off over those hours.

ScubaSteve
11-30-2010, 06:39 PM
By the way, do they have a website?

edit: NM, I found it. http://www.etgtech.com/2006/html/xlamp.htm

untamed
11-30-2010, 10:13 PM
Nope, not using them as moonlights per se. I want to experiment with a different lighting concept... something that isn't actinic and not moonlights. I have my tank design really to be super glowy at night time as that is the only time I ever really get to spent with it. I want to spotlight a couple of the really showy and glowy colonies for a couple of hours after actinics but before moonlights. I'll have a dimmer for them to gradually decrease to from high to off over those hours.

That's a very cool idea. Just a few hours of special show...Get more colours, though. You would want to like the greens with green light...reds with red light..etc.

ScubaSteve
11-30-2010, 11:55 PM
That's a very cool idea. Just a few hours of special show...Get more colours, though. You would want to like the greens with green light...reds with red light..etc.

Sweet! Someone gets it! Everyone looks at me like I'm nuts when I tell them this. I'm going to start with the blue as most of my stuff fluoresces like mad under those lights. Then I'm going to start experimenting with different colours with narrow optics to really spotlight certain colonies. I think 1W LEDs will suffice for those.

sick lid
11-30-2010, 11:57 PM
I would be interested as well

Ian
12-01-2010, 12:04 AM
send me details I may be in for a bunch as well

jzz30tt
12-01-2010, 12:06 AM
Would the group buy be local to you guys over there or can us alberta guys be in too?

Milad
12-01-2010, 12:09 AM
well im getting them all sent here in vancouver but I guess I could ship them from here but you gota pay for the shipping (which I dont think is too much for leds).

looks like there is some decent interest so im going to get some better prices and couple more options and start a new thread with a deadline.

Edmonton newbie
12-01-2010, 01:25 AM
om me when you get some solid numbers as to price

KevinK
12-01-2010, 03:03 AM
when do you considder the closing day on this ? - when are you planning to order?

ultreef
12-01-2010, 03:13 AM
Hi Milad,

Depending on when you place the order, I might be in for about 96 leds. Are you able to pick which BIN from EGT?

PM me with details when it's a go.

Thanks.

hillbillyreefer
12-01-2010, 04:00 AM
I probably want in too. How are us foreigners (Alberta) going to get payment to you

monocus
12-01-2010, 04:09 AM
as i said i have a bunch already -but i can't get the royal blues-i need about 25 of them

Milad
12-01-2010, 06:08 AM
hey guys i should know more tomorrow
im hoping ill be able to just get them to take all the payments and ship to your doors or worst case ill get you guys to pay me and will pay them then ship to my place then ill mail out.

I wanted to get building on my array before Christmas so i would say ill close this on Dec 10th. Ill start the thread tomorrow when I have more details on what they can provide. We will probably have just a few options and bins (but ill make sure they are the good stuff!).

remember this is just for the LEDs and optics. you have to go buy your own power supply and heatsinks.

mike31154
12-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Interested

reeferious
12-01-2010, 08:35 PM
somewhat off topic but how deep am i wading into if i was to buy these leds, power supplies and heatsinks then hook them together to form a functional light unit? my electrical knowledge is still at the basic level.

Milad
12-01-2010, 08:53 PM
somewhat off topic but how deep am i wading into if i was to buy these leds, power supplies and heatsinks then hook them together to form a functional light unit? my electrical knowledge is still at the basic level.

its actually pretty simple stuff

lets say you wanted to just do a basic 12 LED light

you get a heatsink from heatsinkUSA

you get a driver such as the Mean Well ELN-60-48

you use thermal paste to attach each led to the heatsink. then you connect one wire of the driver to the first led + then from that led - to the next led + and so on until you get to the last led and you connect the other wire of the driver to it (should be negative).

you use solder to make the connections.

then i believe you make some quick measurements with a multimeter to make sure you are around 700ma and tune the driver if you are off a bit and then your good to go.

if you have an apex controller you can get the D version of the driver to dim it via 10v.

We could have a vancouver build party if a bunch of us get LEDs and someone wants to host it at their shop/house. beers, pizzas, leds, how could it go wrong?

Milad
12-01-2010, 09:16 PM
group buy is up guys with even better prices than i first thought i could get
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=569587#post569587