PDA

View Full Version : considering removing hermits

bignose
11-30-2010, 02:36 AM
I've had enough with hermit crabs and I'm ready to get rid of them. They constantly kill my snails and often kill each other. Knock my frags off my rack and mow over all my corals when I feed the fish. The last straw was when they killed my conch.

I'm ready to rid my tank of these pests but I have one question. Can I run my tank with just snails? Any other input is appreciated.

mattdean
11-30-2010, 02:53 AM
Of course! Just have a variety of snails that perform different functions, eat different things on different surfaces, etc.

Lance
11-30-2010, 03:00 AM
I have three tanks and no crabs. Hate the little buggers! Snails all the way.

lastlight
11-30-2010, 03:11 AM
I have 4 hermits and 1 snail. Some crew huh? I think I could do without either but may pickup more snails. I won't replace my hermits when they perish. Useless and crawl on corals.

Ryan
11-30-2010, 03:13 AM
I have the tiny blue leg hermits and have never had a problem with them. I got rid of my old ones for the same reason and regret it so I bought a couple of the little ones. Now I dont feel bad when I over feed my feeshies.

reefwars
11-30-2010, 04:41 AM
I've had enough with hermit crabs and I'm ready to get rid of them. They constantly kill my snails and often kill each other. Knock my frags off my rack and mow over all my corals when I feed the fish. The last straw was when they killed my conch.

I'm ready to rid my tank of these pests but I have one question. Can I run my tank with just snails? Any other input is appreciated.

i certainly hope so lol if not im screwed because my eel eats any crab that gets dropped into my tank but i have around 200 snails in a 33g (all babies though):):)

wickedfrags
11-30-2010, 01:21 PM
you bet you can, not reason to have those hermits, specifically for the reasons you mentioned. Go with all snails, both you and the tank will not miss the hermits.

Skimmerking
11-30-2010, 01:43 PM
that is what i did many years ago and haven't looked back

paddyob
11-30-2010, 02:28 PM
jason you have those huge hermits.... get rid of them for smaller ones. As I have mentioned before, those BIG electric blue legs are a pain.

I have small regular blue legs and they never seem to bother anything.

DCDN
11-30-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm thinking about getting rid of mine as well. Had to get rid of my largest one that kept growing and killing anything it could. He lives in the sump now. Not sure if the smaller ones will also have the same fate.

bignose
11-30-2010, 11:27 PM
I could put them in my sump but do they need light? My sump room light is always off.

fencer
12-01-2010, 12:21 AM
i have a home for homeless crabs:sad:

bignose
12-01-2010, 01:30 AM
Wayne it would make me really happy if it's a predator tank. Revenge is bitter sweet.:twised:

naesco
12-01-2010, 03:13 AM
I could put them in my sump but do they need light? My sump room light is always off.

It is never a good idea to put a snail or a hermit in your sump. They may eventually make there way to the inlet of your pump and the shell can damage the impeller in your pump and possibly cause other problems as well.
Offer them to the reefer or take them back to the LFS. They are reef critters too.

bignose
12-02-2010, 04:45 AM
I installed a 90º elbow pointed down which is very close to the glass. I don't think they can get in. The elbow works great to increase the minimum water level in a sump.

wickedfrags
12-02-2010, 02:54 PM
not related to your hermit issue...but your sump should have a light over it, when ever the lights on the main tank are off

paddyob
12-02-2010, 04:04 PM
not related to your hermit issue...but your sump should have a light over it, when ever the lights on the main tank are off

My understanding is that this rule only applies to a sump with a refugium containing chaeto, etc. I don't completely understand, but something to do with the oxygen release??

Bignose only has rock in his sump so it should not be an issue.

riceboy
12-02-2010, 04:08 PM
SNAILS FTW. :lol: ya i had hermits in my first set up 5 yrs ago lol and never again lol, and never want any crabs either lol shrimp pretty much grabs all the food that end up in the sand, although my snails do keep on disappearing :sad:. found 2 in the sump but not sure where the rest went :lol: but the magfloat and scrapper does wonders on the glass lol

Reef-Geek
12-02-2010, 06:36 PM
I like to get rid of my hermits too, the blue legs kills my cerith snails.
but I worried about one thing, hermit crabs can quickly eat dead fish/coral/snail, without them how can I do that?

paddyob
12-02-2010, 06:46 PM
I like to get rid of my hermits too, the blue legs kills my cerith snails.
but I worried about one thing, hermit crabs can quickly eat dead fish/coral/snail, without them how can I do that?

+1.

I can add... don't kill anything! Ha ha.

I agree with your statement though... and feel that they are definitely useful for clean-up.

I just say to remove the "problem" crabs. Not all crabs act the same IMO. Some are coral "sitters" others are not.