PDA

View Full Version : Clove Polyps

Madreefer
11-29-2010, 05:48 AM
I've asked before on how to get rid of these ugly polyps that spread extremely fast. I've turned the rocks over so that they were in the sand and i've tried coating with kalk paste. What else can I do other than cooking the rocks? I can't do that because every rock that they are on has been encrusted with an SPS of some sort.
Finally got a good pic of this crap moving in on this brain.
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh135/gulflube/Nov28016.jpg

Cameron
11-29-2010, 06:32 AM
I'll take a bunch

lorenz0
11-29-2010, 07:06 AM
manually remove them

reefwars
11-29-2010, 07:35 AM
havent had to deal with it so its just a shot in the dark but boiling water and syringe/baster????

skabooya
11-29-2010, 12:41 PM
OMG save some for me. I WANT THEM!!!! Ive been looking for these for such a long time and ive had them shipped to me but they always show up dead. I would love these to take over my tank.

DCDN
11-29-2010, 02:33 PM
I had one growing in the dark pretty much. Cut a bit of the rock off and now have a small frag of them. Look really nice.

Madreefer
11-29-2010, 04:24 PM
No! No! LOL You guys are looking at the wrong polyps. It's the clove polyps in the top right hand part of the pic. Kinda purpley brown color. But skabooya you can have some of those other polyps when you come to town, I have lots in my refugiun. You don't want those other things.

lastlight
11-29-2010, 04:39 PM
I could have sworn I saw an SPS dominated tank once with these all over the rocks. The person said they don't harm SPS and just grow around them. Are they actually harming corals or growing over them? I think they're pretty but I suppose I also really like GSP and have decided against them too.

lorenz0
11-29-2010, 04:42 PM
I could have sworn I saw an SPS dominated tank once with these all over the rocks. The person said they don't harm SPS and just grow around them. Are they actually harming corals or growing over them? I think they're pretty but I suppose I also really like GSP and have decided against them too.

yep he's on reef central. remember seeing it as well

skabooya
11-29-2010, 04:48 PM
Those were the ones i was talking about. Those look like ice blue cloves but the pic is kinda dark so its more difficult to tell.
In any case, Ive read that they can be killed by starvation (keeping trates very low for a long time), scrubbing them off constantly, putting a stinging coral around them, using kalk paste, boiling water when out of the tank, sometimes pep shrimp eat them aparently.

Just tossing around things ive read about cloves

ScubaSteve
11-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Stick a hydnophora next to them. It'll kick their ass in no time :P

Madreefer
11-29-2010, 05:10 PM

Well they seem to overtake my zoas. The SPS seem to to grow over top of them rather than encrust more to the rock. As in there is a small space between the coral and the rocks. It grows on the underside of my monti plate and starting to grow on my digitata's.

Borderjumper
11-29-2010, 06:15 PM
I have some encroaching on some zoas too.. I coat the cloves with AiptasiaX and let it sit for an hour or so with the pumps off.. Works for me and so far hasn't affected the zoas.

trilinearmipmap
11-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Fluke Tabs, 1 tablet per 100 gallons of water.

Wipes out all softies, anthelia, clove polyps, green star polyps.

Does not harm anemones, LPS, SPS, or fish. Did not harm my hermit crabs or snails. Supposed to be toxic for shrimp though.

Madreefer
11-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Fluke Tabs, 1 tablet per 100 gallons of water.

Wipes out all softies, anthelia, clove polyps, green star polyps.

Does not harm anemones, LPS, SPS, or fish. Did not harm my hermit crabs or snails. Supposed to be toxic for shrimp though.

Good to know. Damn I got 9 shrimp right now.

Nebthet
11-29-2010, 08:26 PM
I am really suprised the kalk paste didn't work on the clove polyps. A good concentration of that stuff will usually wipe stuff like that out. How long did you leave it on the polyps and were your powerheads turned off?
If you rim it correctly you shouldn't have any problems with it harming your other stuff.
It sucks you are having this problem with this coral. It looks really nice.

Madreefer
11-29-2010, 09:14 PM
I don't take the kalk paste off actually. Yes the PH's are off too. It's not just that coral that it's happening to. It's all of them. That was just a tiny example. There's some days I just wanna take the tank down and cook the rocks. But my system is about 9 years old and I have put too much work in to itr to start over. Why is there no smilies for pulling your hair out?

daniella3d
11-30-2010, 12:19 AM
To get rid of them, put a lot of carbon in your filter or sump 24/7. Supposed that they shrink and die this way.

I run carbon and can't grow these.. they always die or grow very very slowly. The larger glove polyp always shrink and die in my aquariums and the small blue clove don't spread, even though I had one batch laying eggs.

Madreefer
12-04-2010, 09:02 PM
To get rid of them, put a lot of carbon in your filter or sump 24/7. Supposed that they shrink and die this way.

I run carbon and can't grow these.. they always die or grow very very slowly. The larger glove polyp always shrink and die in my aquariums and the small blue clove don't spread, even though I had one batch laying eggs.

I run a cup of carbon in my reactor that I change monthly.