PDA

View Full Version : Best Place for Custom tanks?

Magma
11-28-2010, 06:29 PM
I was wondering who anyone recommends for getting custom tanks made?

I would like a 75-100gal tank, sump, stand and now I just need to see who has the best price and the nicest style.

globaldesigns
11-28-2010, 06:35 PM
Jay, probably is one of the best.... If you can find him, check him out. Deal with him directly though, not through the store he usually works through (sorry don't want to start anything by mentioning stores I wouldn't recommend). Maybe someone can forward his info to you.

Also Kevin @ Red Coral is getting some nice tanks built, at least they look good, when I see them in the store. Check him out also.

Magma
11-28-2010, 06:40 PM
I am mostly looking for the best price, the wife already gives me the evil eye anytime I mention fish lol

globaldesigns
11-28-2010, 06:43 PM
I am mostly looking for the best price, the wife already gives me the evil eye anytime I mention fish lol

Jay wouldn't be the cheapest, but I think he is the best. Mine is from him, and I can say the seams are great, all my edging is polished and bevelled. And all holes, curves and cuts are all C&C'd.

I would then check out Kevin, his tanks are not like described above. But when I see them, they seem well built, well siliconed. And I know Kevin treats me and others well. So he can take care of you also. Worth a chat with him.

Magma
11-28-2010, 06:44 PM
Kevin only works weekdays doesnt he? might have to give him a call.

globaldesigns
11-28-2010, 06:49 PM
Kevin only works weekdays doesnt he? might have to give him a call.

I have caught him in the store sometimes on weekend, but you are correct, I think he tries to stay away. He will be in during the week.

I personally don't know who builds his tanks, but when I see them in the store, I do notice the seams, and build quality, and they do look good.

Magma
11-28-2010, 06:55 PM
any other options you would recommend?

globaldesigns
11-28-2010, 07:03 PM
any other options you would recommend?

you could always look into getting the glass cut and building your own. I personally haven't done it, but many here will say it isn't that hard. Maybe source out the glass and cutting and then get some canreefers to help you.

If price isn't an issue, get jay... If you want you can always come over to my place see the quality he builds. But as I stated don't deal with him through the LFS he works through, deal with him directly.

Otherwise, the only other person I recommend is Kevin.

Maybe others have options for you.

Magma
11-28-2010, 07:45 PM
just got off the phone with a guy who can make me a 90gal tank, 30gal sump and overflow and metal stand for 450-500$ is that good or bad? Im not familiar with tank prices :p

globaldesigns
11-28-2010, 08:22 PM
just got off the phone with a guy who can make me a 90gal tank, 30gal sump and overflow and metal stand for 450-500$ is that good or bad? Im not familiar with tank prices :p

IMO, that is really good. May I suggest you ask him for some references, maybe you can see one of his builds.

AquaticFinatic
11-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Don't go with bow valley in Calgary. I have had nothing but problems and they made my overflow 2inchs to low. Had to fix myself and quality isnt that great but they say you get what you pay for so be careful! I would pay more if you can afford it and get a better build. Just my 2 cents.

lastlight
11-28-2010, 11:20 PM
Please look through old threads to see trends. I can't say enough about Mitch and bow valley aquariums. if you look at those threads you'll notice that too.

Magma
11-29-2010, 12:38 AM
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-pets-accessories-custom-new-and-used-aquariums-and-terrariums-W0QQAdIdZ245167640

this is the ad i saw, anyone seen this before? im gonna give them a call and see whats up if they have sample tanks etc.

lorenz0
11-29-2010, 01:02 AM
I think thats bow valley. I had my tank built through red coral. Really pleased with what I got in the end

Magma
11-29-2010, 01:07 AM
lady who contacted me back said call this number and ask for Mitch which seems to be Bow Valley and after reading in the forums for the past hour im not sure i like that idea anymore..

intarsiabox
11-29-2010, 01:27 AM
Is there any reason you need to have a standard dimension tank custom made? There are always 90g set ups for sale here all the time and fish stores usually have them at great prices around christmas. I got a brand new 90g tank, stand and sump for under $400.

AquaticFinatic
11-29-2010, 01:37 AM
That is bow valley for sure from the address.

Magma
11-29-2010, 01:57 AM
just looking for a cheap deal really, i have a 75gal that has a leak and i tried to reseal it and it didnt work so im frustrated with it and want to get another one with a better stand, sump etc.

Zoaelite
11-29-2010, 02:03 AM
Want a 165g eurobraced with internal overflow, plumbing and steel stand for $550? Built by Jay @ Elite, very nice quality tank.

globaldesigns
11-29-2010, 02:04 AM
Want a 165g eurobraced with internal overflow, plumbing and steel stand for $550? Built by Jay @ Elite, very nice quality tank.

Now that is a great deal, and would be top notch quality tank. You should consider this!!!

Magma
11-29-2010, 02:09 AM

i would love it...only problem is i dont know if the floor would support it...

see i live on the top floor and dont have access to the bottom floor because someone lives there so i can really support the floor in the house

globaldesigns
11-29-2010, 02:11 AM
i would love it...only problem is i dont know if the floor would support it...

see i live on the top floor and dont have access to the bottom floor because someone lives there so i can really support the floor in the house

I would check how the floor joices are, you may be able to do it.

I myself have my system on my top floor of my house, with not further support. you may be lucky and be able to do the same.

I am no engineer or home builder, so maybe someone can be a better help. But I had a contractor/customer come over, as I wanted to put a support in, but I didn't need it. Again, maybe you will be lucky as well.

Zoaelite
11-29-2010, 02:18 AM
Now that is a great deal, and would be top notch quality tank. You should consider this!!!

I knew paying you for advertising would work out :lol:. Haha JK, ya it's a pretty wicked price only condition is you need to bring atleast 2 other strong people with you to get it outa my house. Plumbing includes the return pump.

Magma
11-29-2010, 02:19 AM
only place is in our living room and right below that in the basement suit is no support at all...its there living room it has no supports but then again maybe since its an older house its actually built with 2x10's or even 2x12s not those 1.5x9.5 they use now...

edit: wife gave me a look that just screams "dont you dare"

lastlight
11-29-2010, 03:33 AM
I think the new engineered floors are actually stronger than 2 x whatevers. If I didn't know exactly what was below and how strong it was I'd pass.

Magma
11-29-2010, 03:37 AM
yah thats the problem I know the floor will hold a 75gal no problem i would go as far as say 100gal tank but thats not including sump and stand, rock, etc so i want to play it safe untill i actually settle down and get a house for all this.

so 75-90gal tank with sump, black background, overflow, stand is perfect for what i want.

lorenz0
11-29-2010, 05:33 AM
what exactly are you planning for diamentions? Have you considered a shallow tank?

72long x 18 wide x 16 deep is still 90gals

Magma
11-29-2010, 06:26 AM
6ft long tank would be a dream and I have enough space for it for sure. I would love a longer tank for sure, but I dont know if i would want a 16 deep for it maybe less? make it closer to a 79gal if its longer not taller.

lorenz0
11-29-2010, 07:04 AM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57734

Take a look at this tank. Why I suggested 16" is I have found its alot easier to control flow and from blasting your sand around (unless you go bare bottom)

Magma
11-29-2010, 03:44 PM
good to know but would 14" compared to 16" really make that much difference?

globaldesigns
11-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Just for a reference:

My house is 11 years old, with silent floor system. Basically the engineered floor.

My tank is a 180G, with a steal stand and a 105G sump.

It is in my bonus room, above the garage. No extra supports. Basically I was told that I am on 2 supporting walls, and that the strength of the area I am in is one of the strongest points in the house.

FYI, Tank has never moved. I keep a level with out, and regularily check it.

So, what I am getting at is check out what you have for flooring, which way the joices are running and do you have any supporting walls. You may be good to go for the larger tank!

Magma
11-29-2010, 08:07 PM
well I have a 7foot area along an outside wall in the living room which I would love to put the tank along, its right next to our stairs leading into our house and I cant figure out which was the supports run because in the basement suite below us the roof is finished. (I know because I used to live there.)

So 72x18x18 would be awesome to throw into that space just dont know if I would trust it...the house is older as well...

RDNanoGuy
11-29-2010, 11:11 PM
A 72x18 on a proper weight distributing stand will put less than 150 lbs. pressure per square foot on the whole area... You put more pressure than that just standing on the floor. Just put the tank against a load bearing wall and you'll be fine.

abcha0s
12-16-2010, 05:56 AM
For sure I would buy the tank from ZoaElite. However, if you do want a custom tank I wouldnt go with any of the builders suggested in this thread. Having gone through the process of building a large custom tank, I know a fair bit about this aspect of the hobby. If you want my opinion, take a look at my build thread or PM me.

- Brad

sphelps
12-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Using reason like a tank puts less lbs/sqft than a person or other house hold items isn't good. By the same reasoning you could say a floor can easily support 200lb/sqft since my buddy is 200lbs and can stand on a single tile meaning you could install a swimming pool without problems. However it obviously doesn't work that way and residential buildings are typically rated at a minimum of 40lb/sqft.

Without knowing the exact details of the floor support you can calculate how much weight you can put in a room using the standard residential minimum of 40 lbs/sqft.

For example if your room is 20'x10' that's 200 sqft meaning that room has to be able to support 8000 lbs total. Next apply some reason as the tank won't be distributed over the entire floor. Say for example the tank runs perpendicular to the floor joists and you manage to get the tank to sit on 6 of the 10 joists in the room, therefore using about 60% of the support. So you don't want to exceed 60% of 8000lbs or 4800lbs. That of course is max so you'll want to subtract for other furniture and live weight such as yourself and other people.

If you do know details you can play around with this (http://www.awc.org/calculators/span/calc/timbercalcstyle.asp?species=Douglas+Fir-South&size=2x8&grade=Select+Structural&member=Floor+Joists&deflectionlimit=L%2F480&spacing=16&wet=No&incised=No&liveload=80&snowload=-1&deadload=10&submit=Calculate+Maximum+Horizontal+Span)

lastlight
12-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Difference between a room full of people at a party (who aren't there 24-7 for years) and a tank as well. Gradual sagging of the joists etc under constant load which can then mess with other things.

Coleus
12-17-2010, 04:24 AM
just looking for a cheap deal really, i have a 75gal that has a leak and i tried to reseal it and it didnt work so im frustrated with it and want to get another one with a better stand, sump etc.

Have you tried Concept Aquarium?

JohnnyReeftank
12-17-2010, 04:36 AM
I was trying to look them up.....are they in Edmonton?

Coleus
12-17-2010, 04:49 AM
I was trying to look them up.....are they in Edmonton?

They are in Calgary. look up ConceptAquarium user

Magma
12-17-2010, 05:49 AM
heard mixed price ranges from them, so im on the fence with ordering a tank right now.

Bow valley has given me a range for tank, sump, stand at about $600-$800 (depending on final design of course)
red coral gave me a quote for aprox $1200
Wai's gave me a quote for tank, sump at around $600
Elite told me no way no how until after January his actually line was "Good luck with that but im not doing it" so I dont think im ever going to deal with them after that experience.

So many places and they all do a good job at a different price, its all in how much you wanna pay, and with that I see a problem...its a tank, its glass and silicone maybe its cheaper to build the tank myself? Then again how much time do I want to put into a tank or better yet do I have the free time to be doing that myself?

Lots of questions, lots of prices and even more ways to come to a conclusion so this tank is going to be on hold till after the new year for sure.

Aqua Man
12-17-2010, 02:01 PM
I was reading the posts here, pretty good stuff. I own a very reputable construction company, just south of Calgary, and been itching to get back into making some monster aquariums in peoples houses. We are lisenced, bonded and insured.

I would only consider a few projects per year and the systems must be over 2,000 gallons for me and my crew to take on. I am not really interested in taking your Walmart speacial 25 gal and cuting a hole in your wall... I am talking about good old steel and cement structures that will hold tanks up to 15,000 gallons in you basement. Are you drueling yet? LOL It can be done.

Corey

rjengen
12-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Red Coral built my tank last year, and I drove 16 hours round trip to pick it up :lol: If I had done a little more research, I might have had it done in Edmonton where it would have been a little closer, but honestly the tank I had built is beautiful...Starphire glass, polished and bevelled edges, eurobraced. The custom work coming out of RC is second to none, and like they say, you get what you pay for...and if paying a little extra means the build is done right the first time, it's worth it...and I don't loose sleep at night thinking about a tank failure, shaddy building techniques, or materials that were designed for something else...say...shower doors?

kien
12-17-2010, 02:30 PM
I was reading the posts here, pretty good stuff. I own a very reputable construction company, just south of Calgary, and been itching to get back into making some monster aquariums in peoples houses. We are lisenced, bonded and insured.

I would only consider a few projects per year and the systems must be over 2,000 gallons for me and my crew to take on. I am not really interested in taking your Walmart speacial 25 gal and cuting a hole in your wall... I am talking about good old steel and cement structures that will hold tanks up to 15,000 gallons in you basement. Are you drueling yet? LOL It can be done.

Corey

Holy smokes that sounds awesome! Do you have any monster tank references? Pictures? :D

dave_C
12-17-2010, 02:33 PM
was this referring to me? as i didn't reminder talking to you or giving you a quote on a tank. If i did, i will apologize for confusing you, normally i am a very easy going guy to deal with:lol: Why didn't you post some details of what you are looking for and i will see what i can help you out with, as i am give a giving mood this month lol

[QUOTE=Magma;574105]heard mixed price ranges from them, so im on the fence with ordering a tank right now.

Aquattro
12-17-2010, 02:37 PM
Gang, let's please keep any advertising type posts out of this thread, ok? If you're a builder and would like to sign up for advertising space, please contact us privately.
Thanks

Magma
12-17-2010, 04:24 PM
was this referring to me? as i didn't reminder talking to you or giving you a quote on a tank. If i did, i will apologize for confusing you, normally i am a very easy going guy to deal with:lol: Why didn't you post some details of what you are looking for and i will see what i can help you out with, as i am give a giving mood this month lol

no no just looking through build threads I have seen the prices ranges, I was talking about elite that I got the crap service from.

mseepman
12-17-2010, 04:48 PM
It's sad that your experience at Elite was so bad as the tank I got there from Jay is beyond anything I could have hoped for. The sump is awesome! Now I just got to get it all going...lol.

Magma
12-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Im pretty picky when it comes to customer service and when I get a bad experience right away it shows to me there not worth my time no matter how good his tanks might look.

lastlight
12-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Jay != Colby.

I'm pretty sure you can deal directly with him if you want to these days. Jay's a good guy and does care.

globaldesigns
12-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Jay != Colby.

I'm pretty sure you can deal directly with him if you want to these days. Jay's a good guy and does care.

+1, Colby is out of the picture now anyways. I would give Jay a chance.

I myself would never deal with Colby again, even if he was in the biz still. But I would diffinately try to deal with Jay again. He does build an awesome tank, and mine is from him.

I would suggest trying to see tanks. I myself would offer my tank so you can see Jay's work, maybe others can offer theirs to view also. Then you can make an educated choice.

Happy Holiday's Everyone!!!

Magma
12-17-2010, 07:27 PM
I have seen some work from bow valley, I have seen a tank built from jay and I have seen a bunch that red coral has made, also saw a tank that Wai's built and they look great..

I have to admit Wai's quality on the edges wasnt as great as others and he mentioned that himself that buffing the edges costs more and takes more time i understand that. I actually have a 35gal tank that bow valley built and I noticed the glass is a little over kill on it, in fact my power heads magnets dont have a lot of strength through it..guess thats what happens on 1/2" thick glass, the edges though look fine sure theres a few burs on the edge but nothing major.

chris121277
12-18-2010, 01:06 AM
I just got had a custom built tank from Golds....not sure but I think BowValley builds theirs......and I would recommend staying away from them, I was very disappointed in the finishing.

I have been dealing with Denis for 10 years.....and I don't think I will ever go back there.

Horrible edges......caulking smudges all over the glass, returns in the wrong place.....and an almost unworkable over flow....but I guess you get what you pay for.

90 gal 48x22wx20h $425 and didn't even include the bulk heads

Palmer
12-18-2010, 01:27 AM
I bought a tank used that was supposedly made by Bow Valley. No problems as far as I'm concerned. Granted I am not that particular, it was my first tank of its kind. No leaks, two returns one in each top corner, and a working external herbie overflow. There was a soap dish attached to the side but I was easily able to pull it off.....:biggrin:

I have seen one or two custom tanks at red coral and at least at a distance they looked really good.

lastlight
12-18-2010, 04:35 AM
There was a soap dish attached to the side but I was easily able to pull it off.....:biggrin:

Ok that was awesome haha.

Aqua Man
12-18-2010, 03:12 PM
I just got had a custom built tank from Golds....not sure but I think BowValley builds theirs......and I would recommend staying away from them, I was very disappointed in the finishing.
I have been dealing with Denis for 10 years.....and I don't think I will ever go back there. Horrible edges......caulking smudges all over the glass, returns in the wrong place.....and an almost unworkable over flow....but I guess you get what you pay for.

90 gal 48x22wx20h $425 and didn't even include the bulk heads

I thought Denis and David stop getting their tanks from Mitch? I guess not. I am guilty of owning one of Bow Valleys tanks, it is an inwall so I didn't care about the finishing much. They did do a good job as far as I am concerned though. It is a 48x20x24 so a custom 100gal, with a smoked glass 65gal sump. Originally they threw in all the plumbing, bulk heads, pumps, unions, ball valves, bio balls, floss etc... The pumps where cheap and had to be changed out in like a few months, but all in all I though I got a good deal.

I personally want to get back into building large monster tanks, so I doubt I will get them again, as I will just do it our selves. After reading several posts on various topics Mitch has got some bad Juju. He is an odd fella, but when I delt with him personally he was a typical business man, just louder. LOL

Corey

lastlight
12-18-2010, 03:46 PM
It's tough to compare tanks by this LFS vs tanks by that LFS. Maybe they don't all play builder swap but I know there is a lot of crossover in the industry. You basically find out that almost every tank is built by either Mitch, Gary or Jay. Better comparisons would be builder vs builder. I don't think any of them (Mitch included) build a bad tank. Some are cleaner than others and some can provide finishes that the others can't. Recently it seems that that splits the camp into Mitch on one side and Gary and Jay on the other. I would always ask my LFS who's working on my tank. If they wouldn't say I'd go elsewhere as that matters to me.

globaldesigns
12-18-2010, 07:38 PM
There was a soap dish attached to the side but I was easily able to pull it off.....:biggrin:.

I am rolling on the floor, just too hilarious :lol:

It's tough to compare tanks by this LFS vs tanks by that LFS. Maybe they don't all play builder swap but I know there is a lot of crossover in the industry. You basically find out that almost every tank is built by either Mitch, Gary or Jay. Better comparisons would be builder vs builder. I don't think any of them (Mitch included) build a bad tank. Some are cleaner than others and some can provide finishes that the others can't. Recently it seems that that splits the camp into Mitch on one side and Gary and Jay on the other. I would always ask my LFS who's working on my tank. If they wouldn't say I'd go elsewhere as that matters to me.

Very well put, and I agree.

RDNanoGuy
12-19-2010, 11:44 AM
I have to agree with the above comments.... I personally have many tanks built by Mitch/Bob at Bow Valley, all of them are well built servicable tanks. They may not be the epitome of quality finishing but they are on par with the likes of Hagen/Oceanic/Allglass/etc. Sure they may not be as nice as the ones Jay builds with the fancy edges and one piece eurobraces but they are a heck of alot more affordable.

Just my $0.02.

RDNanoGuy
12-19-2010, 11:51 AM
materials that were designed for something else...say...shower doors?

Thats an old myth.... Mitch does use some textured glass but only in terrariums on the back to add visual interest. Also all his glass is new, he just gets a good deal on off-cuts from the glass manufacturing biz.

fishytime
12-19-2010, 04:11 PM
Thats an old myth.... Mitch does use some textured glass but only in terrariums on the back to add visual interest. Also all his glass is new, he just gets a good deal on off-cuts from the glass manufacturing biz.

not true......I have personally seen with mine own two eyes a tank from there with frosting on the bottom pane

Magma
12-19-2010, 04:19 PM
not true......I have personally seen with mine own two eyes a tank from there with frosting on the bottom pane

the sump I have from bow valley has a textured bottom pain almost like shower door glass...

Palmer
12-19-2010, 04:27 PM
:pop2:

Too early to crack open a beer, coke zero will have to do.

Aqua Man
12-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Nvm, my question was answered

chris121277
12-19-2010, 04:38 PM
IMO if you want a cheap tank and don't care about the finish, then by all means go ahead and use him.

But if you have spent months planning a tank, 3 weeks building a stand and want everything perfect......spend the extra bucks.

Especially if you live out of province and can't even check out the tank before it is delivered to your house....don't do it. I just think that they thought since it was being shipped to B.C. they could just slap it together get caulking smears all over the glass (inside and out) and it didn't matter because I wasn't going to re-crate it and spend another $150 to ship it back.

chris121277
12-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Sorry for ranting on your thread here....this is still a touchy subject with me....as you can probably tell.....lol

Aqua Man
12-19-2010, 04:44 PM
You can use a flat blade and scrape silicone off glass, I own a window, door, and siding company and we have scrape chaulking(glazing) smears all the time with a flat razor blade.

Corey

Aqua Man
12-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Sorry for ranting on your thread here....this is still a touchy subject with me....as you can probably tell.....lol

We understand you had a bad experience with them. I however did not. I imagine when you build as many tanks as they do; you are going to have a few manufacture defects. He has 5-6 employees, could have been made on a friday, could have been a rookie who made it... Regardless we are not really allowed to bash anyone on this site. You can tell us of your experiences, but just be careful as the moderaters are reading this too. I don't want to see anyone get banned :) this is a happy community.

But between us after reading your posts, I am going to explore all options if I get someone to build my next tank.

Corey

Aquattro
12-19-2010, 04:58 PM
As far as BV goes, there are threads here that go back 5 years commenting on the quality and service. All anyone has to do is use the search button and type in Bow Valley. Most aquarium boards have similar threads, search on BV or Inter-American.
As stated, please convey your experiences without any name calling, and hope that people in the market for tanks use the search function and do their homework.

chris121277
12-19-2010, 04:59 PM
We understand you had a bad experience with them. I however did not. I imagine when you build as many tanks as they do; you are going to have a few manufacture defects. He has 5-6 employees, could have been made on a friday, could have been a rookie who made it... Regardless we are not really allowed to bash anyone on this site. You can tell us of your experiences, but just be careful as the moderaters are reading this too. I don't want to see anyone get banned :) this is a happy community.

But between us after reading your posts, I am going to explore all options if I get someone to build my next tank.

Corey

Thats why I apologized for ranting http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Winks/beer-wink.gif

Magma
12-19-2010, 06:12 PM
Even after reading everyones comments on which company does it best or which looks nicer it all comes down to the simple question, how much am I willing to spend on 5 pieces of glass and some silicon? maybe some holes drilled as well?

prices ranges from $500-$1200 maybe even more as I havent called everywhere yet so how much am I willing to spend on the tank, thats not including pumps, skimmers, heaters, power heads, ATO, plumbing....

Palmer
12-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Welcome to SW reefing. I havent been in the SW hobby long but even if you get a tank for free plan on spending a fair amount of money in this hobby even after initial set up.

Magma
12-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Welcome to SW reefing. I havent been in the SW hobby long but even if you get a tank for free plan on spending a fair amount of money in this hobby even after initial set up.

Oh i know I have 2 tanks setup right now :D

riceboy
12-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Dude just give conceptaquariums a pm. I myself along with a handful of others are getting our tanks built by him. You can keep on posting and what not but if you were to go out to a handful of places and give each on the dimensions of a tank and sump and get a qoute, then you would see which place is the cheapest. I was in the same boat a couple of weeks ago, so I went to 5 places in calgary and got quotes. Then I just chose the best price and looked at the quality in the tanks they built. That's how I ended up getting conceptsaquariums to build my tank.

Magma
12-19-2010, 07:59 PM
what size did you get built?

riceboy
12-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Check out my tank build. 82.7gal three sides starfire and one piece starfire eurobrace. 3'x2'x22"

michika
12-20-2010, 07:25 PM
I'll second the huge thumbs up for Concept Aquariums!

They're building my tank right now (you can click through the link below, its called Tibet). They have spectacular communication, really fair prices, you get to see before hand exactly what you're getting via drawings and sketch ups. They show up when they say they will, and its always a really easy going process. They're well worth the few minutes to send out a PM.

Magma
12-20-2010, 09:35 PM
we will see who can offer me the best package for the best price, it wont be till the new year but its good to have a idea of where to go.

DiverDude
12-20-2010, 11:51 PM
I understand you don't want to spend a fortune on a tank -no one does. This is a hobby after all and hobbies take discretionary income.

HOWEVER.....this thing is going to hold over ONE HUNDERD GALLONS of salt water in your house. Try this....take a ONE gallon milk jug, fill it with tap water and randomly toss it somewhere in the room you plan to put that tank -that is literally a drop in the bucket of what the scene will be if your tank fails.

Does this mean that if you pay less the tank will fail with water all over ? Certainly not -but would you take the chance ? The tank is like a crash helmet for a race driver; it's the ONE thing you don't cheap on !!

Magma
12-21-2010, 12:55 AM
If the tank fails it fails, let face it that could happen to any builder, I think all the ones mentioned would be pretty good and I dont think your paying for that in a tank, your paying for the name a lot of time....

burtonpj48
12-21-2010, 05:50 AM
I was wondering where concept aquariums is? A contact number would also be better thanks.

Magma
12-21-2010, 06:09 AM
I sent him a PM from his username here, look back a few pages for it.

paddyob
12-21-2010, 06:23 AM
A 72x18 on a proper weight distributing stand will put less than 150 lbs. pressure per square foot on the whole area... You put more pressure than that just standing on the floor. Just put the tank against a load bearing wall and you'll be fine.

How many stands have 12"x12" legs? Mine has 1"x1" feet on the stand. So if you factor that.... we as people spread out over a more equal and larger space... so comparing a persons weight to a tanks weight does not seem like apples to apples.... now if someone out there has small feet......

Be careful. I agree with other statements... if you can't confirm 100%, its not a good idea. No matter what advice and knowledge people may have, they don't know YOUR house.

Older houses have problems just like new houses. The age does not mean it is more stable. You may have had termites in the house years before (bad example I am sure) but you need to be 100%. A 90 gallon tank water filled is about 720 pounds... not counting glass weight/rock/sump... etc.

Use caution.... make the best choice for you. If you really want to go large... I would recommend talking to your land lord or someone qualified to tell you whether or not you need additional supports.

Mandosh
12-21-2010, 07:03 AM
A 90 gallon tank water filled is about 720 pounds

With salt its over 780 pounds of water.

riceboy
12-21-2010, 03:51 PM
I was wondering where concept aquariums is? A contact number would also be better thanks.

Just pm him he's on the forum

sphelps
12-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Mitch will save money by buying unused glass crops left over from projects done by other glass shops. The glass is still new and just as good as anything else, it just saves him money which in turn saves you money. Sometimes the glass crops are frosted which will then be used for the base. They are not old shower doors, the rest of the glass may have been used to make a shower door but that's irrelevant. Pretty much all glass used in residential or commercial applications including shower doors has to be tempered. If you've ever tried to cut tempered glass you would know this myth has no truth to it what so ever.

riceboy
12-21-2010, 04:02 PM
If the tank fails it fails, let face it that could happen to any builder, I think all the ones mentioned would be pretty good and I dont think your paying for that in a tank, your paying for the name a lot of time....

I understand that your trying to get the best price in town and think that your just paying more for the name , but just think of it this way, would you buy a tank that was 75-100 dollars less from someone that has a bad rep of building a poor tank or getting a tank from someone that is more reputable and can guarantee that the tank won't fail. I myself would be willing to shell out an additional 75-100 for the piece of mind that i won't get 100 or so gallons of saltwater on the floor, and potentially do more damage to my house (plywood and 2x4, 2x10... do not mix well) just a thought.

globaldesigns
12-21-2010, 04:30 PM
I understand that your trying to get the best price in town and think that your just paying more for the name , but just think of it this way, would you buy a tank that was 75-100 dollars less from someone that has a bad rep of building a poor tank or getting a tank from someone that is more reputable and can guarantee that the tank won't fail. I myself would be willing to shell out an additional 75-100 for the piece of mind that i won't get 100 or so gallons of saltwater on the floor, and potentially do more damage to my house (plywood and 2x4, 2x10... do not mix well) just a thought.

I agree, but usually it is more than $100 bucks between these 2 types of builders, I think that is the problem. But I still would pay the extra, if that was the case from the better builder.

Many state that why pay so much when it is just glass and silicone? Well if it was that easy, then we would all be building our own tanks, but we don't, so I guess it isn't!

Don't just go on price, base it on the quality of the product. More importantly the qaulity in workmanship in the seals.

I would diffinately recommond Jay, very top end quality and the price wasn't that bad. Seeing the Concept Aquariums work in photos, it seems they offer the same quality... Personally, I would love to see one of their tanks in person, as the photos look nice.

riceboy
12-21-2010, 04:44 PM
I agree, but usually it is more than $100 bucks between these 2 types of builders, I think that is the problem. But I still would pay the extra, if that was the case from the better builder.

Many state that why pay so much when it is just glass and silicone? Well if it was that easy, then we would all be building our own tanks, but we don't, so I guess it isn't!

Don't just go on price, base it on the quality of the product. More importantly the qaulity in workmanship in the seals.

I would diffinately recommond Jay, very top end quality and the price wasn't that bad. Seeing the Concept Aquariums work in photos, it seems they offer the same quality... Personally, I would love to see one of their tanks in person, as the photos look nice.

:lol: i will post plenty of pics once i get mine l:lol:

lastlight
12-21-2010, 05:09 PM
:lol: i will post plenty of pics once i get mine l:lol:

Actually he was setting you up to invite us all over. Here's your second chance lol.

xblade
12-21-2010, 05:38 PM
I have to defend BV a little here.. I've had 2 tanks built there, and I have to say I'm happy.Yes, the edges aren't polished or bevelled.But the seals are nice, and the rest of the workmanship was good.He built them just as I wanted, and the price was right.When people look at my tank ,they notice the fish and decor.Not the edges of my glass. :)
I looked around , and the prices vary widely! I got what I wanted for the price I wanted to pay.
The only gripe I had , was it took about a week or 2 longer(than quoted) for tanks to be completed.Other than that the service was good, and Mitch was a good guy to deal with. IMO

globaldesigns
12-21-2010, 05:46 PM
I have to defend BV a little here.. I've had 2 tanks built there, and I have to say I'm happy.Yes, the edges aren't polished or bevelled.But the seals are nice, and the rest of the workmanship was good.He built them just as I wanted, and the price was right.When people look at my tank ,they notice the fish and decor.Not the edges of my glass. :)
I looked around , and the prices vary widely! I got what I wanted for the price I wanted to pay.
The only gripe I had , was it took about a week or 2 longer(than quoted) for tanks to be completed.Other than that the service was good, and Mitch was a good guy to deal with. IMO

I personally have never dealt with Mitch, but can say it isn't the edges that make the tank, it is the seals... So if he does that properly, then great!

But I can say I do have the polished beveled edges on everything. All holes and curves are C&C'd (or something like that) so everything is precise and you do really notice it. Many have commented on the quality finish, that being said I wouldn't think twice about paying extra for that again. More importantly, I would love the one piece Euro, mine isn't that as Jay didn't do one piece at the time I got mine. But the next tank will have it!

Personally, I think it all will come down to what you wish to have as a finished product... If you don't care about the polishing, etc then someone like Bow Valley may be just fine, but if you want that little extra then maybe Jay or Concept. I myself, like the extras, it really makes the tank POP!!! And no that isn't like POP, there goes my tank all over the floor! :lol:

Magma
12-21-2010, 06:11 PM

what im getting at is out of the builders who have been mentioned in this thread, red coral, concept, elite, bow valley, they all have good and bad reviews but has anyone here had a tank fail from one of them? Not that anyone has mentioned and yes maybe BV has had a tank fail but look at how many they put out compared to everyone else statistical they are going to have more, hell I bought a premade standard 10gal one time and it leaked so everyone has one or 2 that just dont work.

So has anyone here had a tank fail from any of the builders listed?

riceboy
12-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Actually he was setting you up to invite us all over. Here's your second chance lol.

Lol I might have to lol. But once I have everything in and settled down. :lol:

sphelps
12-21-2010, 06:34 PM
BV can also polish edges encase anyone was wondering, you just have to ask for it and be very specific on what edges to polish.

abcha0s
12-23-2010, 02:13 PM
what im getting at is out of the builders who have been mentioned in this thread, red coral, concept, elite, bow valley, they all have good and bad reviews but has anyone here had a tank fail from one of them? Not that anyone has mentioned and yes maybe BV has had a tank fail but look at how many they put out compared to everyone else statistical they are going to have more, hell I bought a premade standard 10gal one time and it leaked so everyone has one or 2 that just dont work.

So has anyone here had a tank fail from any of the builders listed?

Frankly, it's amazing that this thread his reached 10 pages?! - It's really not that difficult of a choice. For the record, Red Coral and Concept don't build aquariums. They simply broker the deal. The question is who you would prefer to deal with and for me the answer is entirely obvious. Elite used to have an exclusive arrangement with a builder (Jay) but from what I understand this arrangement is no longer in place, so by whatever means contact him directly.

There are only three builders in Calgary - Gary, Jay and Bow Valley.

However, you've completely answered your own question. DON'T buy a custom tank. They can and do fail regardless of the builder. The most common cause of failed custom tanks is the stand not being perfectly flat (planar). Let me tell you how difficult it is to build a perfectly flat stand.

The best advice that anyone could give you is to buy a manufactured tank from a reputable supplier. I would suggest looking at Marine Land. While it's probably bigger than you were thinking, I really like the Marine Land deep dimension tanks!

abcha0s
12-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Case in point - Marineland will not honor the warranty on their tanks if you do not also buy their stand. The stand and the floor it sits on are what generally cause the tank to fail.

sphelps
12-23-2010, 02:24 PM
However, you've completely answered your own question. DON'T buy a custom tank. They can and do fail regardless of the builder. The most common cause of failed custom tanks is the stand not being perfectly flat (planar). Let me tell you how difficult it is to build a perfectly flat stand.

I've never seen a custom tank fail because of this reason, I've seen many tanks fail for a number of other reasons but not stand related. I also don't see what is so difficult about building a flat stand, it's pretty simple actually and using foam or rubber will insure the tank is properly supported. I would think that standard tanks fail more often from a result of a poor stand because they are typically used with store bought stands which for the most part are garbage MDF and don't offer adequate, long lasting support. The larger metal stands typically in stores are also uneven on occasion and usually require additional work or materials to provide even support.

riceboy
12-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Lol this thread is getting really long did magma get a tank yet lol

mws
12-23-2010, 03:00 PM
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-pets-animal-pet-services-Custom-built-aquariums-High-end-to-low-end-W0QQAdIdZ249585194

I came across this add on kijiji, some one bilding tanks in okotoks.
Looks like they are fresh.

lastlight
12-23-2010, 03:19 PM
Marineland tanks, hagen and whatever are all built by humans just like custom tanks in town. There have been issues with these tanks as well. While I don't think it's hard to build a flat stand I do think that when people have issues for the most part it is due to the stand. I think the biggest issue is people want access to underneath and forgo suitable support in the middle. The stand is flat or flat enough with foam upon initial completion but the thing ends up sagging in the middle under full load.