PDA

View Full Version : Anemone Splitting?

tgrover
11-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Does anybody know how long it takes for an anemone to split? I have a good sized, healthy Seabae anemone and over the last 2 days he has turned over onto his 'face'. His white body is exposed for the first time and it seems like there is a small seam down the centre.

I'm curious to see if anybody else has seen this. and how long it takes.

I am also worried that something is wrong and if so, what should I do?

Tim

Nebthet
11-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Sebae anemones do no split.

Also, white is not a natural color for them. It means this anemone is severly bleached and unless steps are taken to put it in high light area and fed once a day to recover it's zooanxethellae then it will die.

If this anemone has detached it's foot and is face down, then it has attempted to move to a different area of your tank to more than likely get more light. If it is torn, this could mean something has been bothering it.

This is not a beginners anemone... It can reach between 12 - 18 inches in size.
It requires LED, Metal Halide or at least a 6 bulb t5 fixture for proper lighting.

tgrover
11-28-2010, 06:57 PM
ok, ya, just his body is white. the tentacles are beautiful light orange and tips are amazing purple. He/She is amazingly healthy.

Yes is has perfect lighting, growth and health is not a problem at all.

The strange thin is that I have read that the Sebae

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/reef/anemones/SebaeAnemone.php

They do multiply by fission.

What I am wondering is how this happens.. what o you look for? does it take hours, days?

Anything will help. even if you have any other anemone.

Thank!!

tgrover
11-28-2010, 07:01 PM
I know it's unusual for them to split, but mine came from a split Sebae as well.

Nebthet
11-28-2010, 08:06 PM
Anemone's in general can multiply by fission, but there a good number of them that do not unless a pair of scissors is taken to them and they are cut in half through the mouth.

There are only two anemones that split naturally and those are BTA's and H.Magnificas (Ritteri). Carpets like Haddoni's bud. All anemone's spawn, but not all will spawn in captivity.

Now in terms of the sebae there is a lot of debate on how it actually reporduces because no one has actually documented any natural splitting/fission of this anemone in captivity or the wild, while they have some documentation of reproduction by budding.

Now, this guy, has a bleached and dyed yellow anemone that was doing the same thing as yours now with the line going up looking like it was gonna split. His sebae died.
http://www.myfishforum.com/general-marine-fish-forum/387-my-sebae-anemone-splitting.html

Do you or your friend by chance have a picture of this anemone. There are a couple different subsects of the sebae species, including Crispa and Malu. The Malu has more color varients including yellows and pinks, while the Crispa, to be considered healthy, is naturally a tan/brown color with purple tips and sometimes a purple or green sheen.

tgrover
11-28-2010, 08:16 PM
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/SLFQXUQGFw7gK-VspIyU1IryAjDhDrdGB28hZ4pCgXQ?feat=directlink

Wayne
11-29-2010, 01:39 AM
Picture not working... :lol: