PDA

View Full Version : ultralith and n/p reducing pellets

Aquaria
11-28-2010, 08:28 AM
is it possible to have the zeolith rocks in a reactor with n/p reducing pellets? thinking the vertex uf 15 tank is a 20g with 10g sump

xiaan
11-28-2010, 01:18 PM
is it possible to have the zeolith rocks in a reactor with n/p reducing pellets? thinking the vertex uf 15 tank is a 20g with 10g sump

I am interested in this method also and wondering the same thing.

The last issue of coral magazine in the article about ULN systems had someone doing this for there non-photo tank

Delphinus
11-28-2010, 04:42 PM
I tried running both in the same reactor and while initially it started off looking promising, in the end they really interfered with each other too much that neither of the two systems were working to their potential. I did run both for a while in separate reactors after that and the results there were pretty substantial. Since then I've just run the pellets on their own. Of the three methods, where I had both of them but in separate reactors, was where I saw the best results overall. So that's what I'd recommend: do both, but in separate reactors.

globaldesigns
11-28-2010, 06:59 PM
I tried running both in the same reactor and while initially it started off looking promising, in the end they really interfered with each other too much that neither of the two systems were working to their potential. I did run both for a while in separate reactors after that and the results there were pretty substantial. Since then I've just run the pellets on their own. Of the three methods, where I had both of them but in separate reactors, was where I saw the best results overall. So that's what I'd recommend: do both, but in separate reactors.

I too ran both, in seperate reactors. Actually tried it twice... but removed the Zeolith a few weeks back to make room for a second skimmer. I can tell you that things seem to be improving with some things within my tank. Not saying it is because of this, but maybe they interact with each other and kinda cancel each other out. You just never know.

Personally I would recommend running one or the other, NOT both. I am running the NP BioPellets. Just my opinion on what I have experienced over time.

Things I am seeing since removing the Zeolites and just runnin the Pellets, over the 3 weeks now:

1.) Water kept going from very clear to hazy... couldn't seem to stabilize this. Now the water is consistantly very crystal clear. Basically it now looks like there is no water in the tank, it is that clean. Very shimmery with the MH on.

2.) I was having SPS coral issues with die off... I am not saying that things have improved dramatically here. But the RTN/die off seems to either of slowed right down or stopped... Also many damaged corals are now showing growth with white tips (new growth). Softies are re-inflating very nicely. And polyp extension seems to be improving each day.

3.) Glass cleanning - I would clean my glass every couple days or so. Now I don't really need to clean my glass... I can go a week now before noticing anything on the glass.

4.) Same goes with glass and sand bed where they meet. Algae would grow at the area of the glass where it met the sand bed. This isn't the case anymore. I haven't used my scraper for some time now.

All these changes since removing the Zeolites... But also remember I also added the second skimmer 2 weeks ago, so of course it is adding to the improvments. But I guess what I am getting at is that you don't need both.

Personally I never had any success with the Zeolites on their own, but the Pellets I do like and promote.