PDA

View Full Version : bracing on a tank

Skimmerking
11-27-2010, 05:30 PM
before it's too late. Im now thinking that i may have not have the right bracing. Should I go with 2 x10" braces on the 8 foot tank.
Or go with 3 braces i think that they are 6" each evenly spaced. The reason that Im asking is that if I go to to 4 MH then i want to have the right spacing for the light , or what if 3 mh isnt enough

globaldesigns
11-27-2010, 07:37 PM
I am not really sure what you are asking, but are you talking about actual front to back bracing, overtop/across the top of the tank?

If so, I can't really comment, not really sure, but if you are talking this, why not a eurobrace? Again, I am no engineer, but can a eurobrace give you the top strength, while keeping the top of the tank open.

My tank is 60X27X27, and I have a eurobrace... Now my tank is much smaller in length than yours, but it works well for me.

Just a thought, get the strength and keep the esthetics.

Skimmerking
11-27-2010, 07:53 PM
my 60x24x24 is euro braced around. and i love it. i wish that i could do the euro braced one ,but the guy tells me that i cant get a 8 foot 3" piece of glass hmmm
but ya i will have the top of the tank to have 3 braces i guess or the 2 braces that will be i may say go with the 3 braces evenly across the tank and i will be having the euro brace too inbetween the center braces

globaldesigns
11-27-2010, 08:00 PM
my 60x24x24 is euro braced around. and i love it. i wish that i could do the euro braced one ,but the guy tells me that i cant get a 8 foot 3" piece of glass hmmm
but ya i will have the top of the tank to have 3 braces i guess or the 2 braces that will be i may say go with the 3 braces evenly across the tank and i will be having the euro brace too inbetween the center braces

hmmmm, what a predicament. Not sure then, if you can't get glass long enough. Why can't he get a 8 foot piece of glass? is it the width that is the problem?

Maybe look into getting a one piece eurobrace cut, from a larger piece of glass that fits the top perfectly. I think it can be done. maybe the problem is just the width is too small, and the glass will break, with a one piece, I don't think that would be an issue.

probably would cost a bit, but it would be nice looking and more functional overall. maybe look into having it done, then shipped to you.