PDA

View Full Version : Reference Book(s) for Reef Fish

jostafew
11-27-2010, 04:44 AM
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some reference quality reading material on marine (reef) fishes. It's going to list common and not so common reef fishes, behaviors, requirements, compatability etc. as well as more in depth biological info and disease information. Something comparable to Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman and The Reef Aquarium series by Charles Delbeek and Juian Sprung.

What's your reef fishes referance material?

Thanks in advance
- Justin

christyf5
11-27-2010, 11:03 AM
By far my fave has to be scott michaels pocket book "reef fishes" or his newer one "marine fishes" I think it has about 500 of the most commonly seen (some not so common here in canada) fishes. It has some basic info on max size, collection area, what it eats and if its reef safe as well as behavioral stuff. I call it the "quick and dirty" research book as its incredibly handy and sometimes I take it to the LFS with me when they get a shipment of new stuff that i might be unfamiliar with. I don't really have much for fish books, most of mine are general reef or invert books as I haven't found one yet that is as helpful and comprehensive. I find a lot of the books seem to focus on a single group of fish or include fish that hobbyists have zero access to so its more just informational and the "neato but i can never have this" factor.

jostafew
11-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Hey Christy, thanks for the suggestion but I've got that one already! hahaha! I've seen that series of books (can't remember the author at the moment) that does focus on 3 or 4 groups per book... may have to go that route.

ScubaSteve
11-27-2010, 06:48 PM
I find that if you want some thing more comprehensive than Scott Micheal's book you have to get a fairly region specific book. It'll have more fish, both rare and common, but it won't have tank compatibility. Diving guides for tropical fish are the best for this.

naesco
11-27-2010, 09:06 PM
Robert Fenner's The Concientious Marine Aquarist is pretty much the bible ime.