PDA

View Full Version : APTASIA its good for your tank?

Capt_kulafu
11-25-2010, 03:42 PM
hi there

i have a 2 aptasia in my 29G reef tank is it good or bad?

Wingin It
11-25-2010, 03:58 PM
BAD...they'll take over the tank if you let it

globaldesigns
11-25-2010, 04:57 PM
You can say they are good because they will eat nutrients in your tank, but most of us consider them bad because:

1.) they multiply fast
2.) are ugly
3.) will sting other corals

Basically as stated above, they can take over.

There are many methods to kill them, personally I just mix KALK with water to make a pasty liquid and then using a syringe, I inject and cover each one. Will usually kill them in one try.

Coleus
11-25-2010, 07:29 PM
They are only good if they can stay in the sump and not going anywhere :-)

globaldesigns
11-25-2010, 08:42 PM

+1, I have hundreds of little ones in my sump... Gave up on trying to get them gone. Bough aptaisa eating nudi's, well I haven't seem them since putting them in (except for one, floating around in the DT), and I still have the pests in my sump.

None, in the DT, and as you stated, as long as they stay in the sump. I am happy. Always have an eye out for them up above, and if spotted, THEY GET NUKED!!!

I can say, since adding the second skimmer, which is pulling lots of skimmate also. I am noticing the aptaisa in the sump starting to dwindle, getting smaller, and in some areas just gone. So maybe not enough nutrients in the water now for them.

reefwars
11-26-2010, 12:40 AM
hi there

Come to my house and I'll show you what an aiptasia problem can do lol it will kill your tank and it gets worse before it's better, I'm using a filefish and lemon juice and I'm down to fifty heads from 300+ in a 33g in under 3weeks.....I'm also down alot of zoa's and lps soooooo ya be careful what method yo choose. If it's just a couple heads, use lemon juice it's like 70 cents for a lemon and needles are free from your local downtown crack hangout lol:):) it works very very well I'm finding but you can't get them all or the real small ones:)

daniella3d
11-26-2010, 12:47 AM
VERY BAD. They kill coral in your tank, especialy zoanthids.

They multiply like weeds, and then they settle right amoung the zoanthids and prevent them from opening until they die. They are nearly impossible to get rid of once they are established, they just pop everywhere like daisies.

They are the most persistant pest.

hi there

reefwars
11-26-2010, 01:10 AM
VERY BAD. They kill coral in your tank, especialy zoanthids.

They multiply like weeds, and then they settle right amoung the zoanthids and prevent them from opening until they die. They are nearly impossible to get rid of once they are established, they just pop everywhere like daisies.

They are the most persistant pest.

Yup what she said lol :)

intarsiabox
11-26-2010, 01:54 AM
You're lucky you only have 2, kill them now before they multiply. I had a problem with them years ago and if your persistent you can eliminate them totally with kalk paste. I also used the help of 2 peppermint shrimp to eat the small ones I couldn't see. The aiptasia are gone but my shrimp are still around, they're greedy and will eat anything you put in the tank after their job is done.

Wayne
11-26-2010, 02:43 AM

They seem to float anywhere and multiply. Not sure if maybe a UV sterilizer would keep your DT safe?