PDA

View Full Version : Wanted aptasia killer fish

donlite
11-25-2010, 02:26 PM
Looking for aptasia eaters. I have a peperment shrimp but I have been dosing the aptasia with lemon juice so much I think he's not liking the taste:lol:

Capt_kulafu
11-25-2010, 03:17 PM
i have 2 aptasia on my tank is it good for the fish? apalogy i'm newbie

Looking for aptasia eaters. I have a peperment shrimp but I have been dosing the aptasia with lemon juice so much I think he's not liking the taste:lol:

Rogue951
11-25-2010, 03:45 PM
i have 2 aptasia on my tank is it good for the fish? apalogy i'm newbie

get rid of them ASAP.

I heard making a thick paste of Kalk and feeding it to aptasia will kill it.
I'm using joes juice and u can see it eat the stuff and melt away almost immediately.

Capt_kulafu
11-25-2010, 03:55 PM
i heard my buddy using a lemon is it good too?

get rid of them ASAP.

I'm using joes juice and u can see it eat the stuff and melt away almost immediately.

donlite
11-25-2010, 04:56 PM
They are good and bad. They help keep the tank clean but like a rose in the middle of your lawn it also is a weed. The problem is the can take over the tank, then your in trouble. If your lucky to only have 2. I suggest you get rid of them.
Do not crush them because they will release spores that will start growing all over your tank:idea:

donlite
11-25-2010, 04:57 PM
It works but I can win the battles but the aptasia are winning the war:lol:

Douglas
11-25-2010, 05:10 PM
A Copperband butterfly will do the trick, But they can be tricky to keep alive. Well, at least for me.

Madreefer
11-25-2010, 05:16 PM
get rid of them ASAP.

Thats what Joes Juice is. Your wasting your money. $8.45 for 20ml of Joes Juice. $15.45 for 500ml of kalk at J&L prices. Theres probably only about a teaspoon of kalk in that Joes Juice.

donlite
11-25-2010, 06:11 PM
Joes Juice. I paid about $14.00 from picies and had a fit when I opened it and there was a small bottle inside. Does this kalk do the same job?:question:

Bblinks
11-25-2010, 06:45 PM
JOES JUICE IS AN EXCELLENT PRODUCT, TRY TO SNEAK UP TO IT AND DOSE IT ALL OVER, BECAREFUL NOT TO HIT ANY OTHER LIVE STOCK AROUND IT. PEPPERMINT SHRIMP IS AN OTHER OPTION, BUT NOT GUARANTY. I HAVE ALSO USED 2 PART EPOXY, MIX SPARINGLY THEN APPLY TO THE WHOLE SURROUNDING.

BEST OF LUCK.:idea:

globaldesigns
11-25-2010, 07:00 PM
I personally use KALK mixed with a little water to make a watery paste. Then using a syringe I inject each pest and cover it with the paste. Make sure all powerheads/pumps are off, otherwise the Kalk just get rinsed of very fast. Works for me, very cheap, and I found it very effective in treating usually in one dose.

Coleus
11-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Joes Juice. I paid about $14.00 from picies and had a fit when I opened it and there was a small bottle inside. Does this kalk do the same job?:question:

Kalk works too. What have worked for me in the past is after i spray kalk, joe juice or aptiasia destroyer. I turn all my powerhead off for 10 minutes and use a small tube siphon everything out of the tank.

However, i only have one or two at a time so if you have lots i think you need something else.

globaldesigns
11-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Kalk works too. What have worked for me in the past is after i spray kalk, joe juice or aptiasia destroyer. I turn all my powerhead off for 10 minutes and use a small tube siphon everything out of the tank.

However, i only have one or two at a time so if you have lots i think you need something else.

That is true, if you have lots, using anything can mess with PH and other things. So whatever you use, make sure you only do a bit at a time, and spread it out. This way you don't impact the overall environment adding KALK, JJ, or whatever method you chose.

reefwars
11-26-2010, 12:32 AM
I'm gonna sum it up for you guy. , nudi's take a long time and need to battle in numbers to take down aiptasia so you need to breed as they are expensive.... Then they starve because they only eat aiptasia.

Filefish works well and very fast but are not reef safe and mine eats zoa's and lps and is eating them pretty good so you may want to weigh the pros and cons.

Peppermint shrimp work very well but you need to feed very little as they are known to eat alot o food that isn't aiptasia, so starving them or puttin them in yoursump with just aiptasia rocks works well.

Copperband are absolutely not reefsafe and 99% of hem die in our tanks as we dont really know what they requie to stay alive, very few have longterm succss:)

lemon juice is my preferrd method but like joes juice and Kalk you can't get them all withou tearing up your tank.

Aiptasi spreads really fast and they are twice the pest then they are beneficial, the will KILL coral and just about all coral their sting is very very strong.

Sooooo if your played with 300heads like I was the filefish was my best choice in a 33g , I've been breeding nudis but i can't wait foe months.... Peppermints are great if you get a bunch and limit their food. I use lemon juice and I may have to Stab some twice but they say gone.

There's a thread on here about methods of removing aiptasia I suggest everyone read before buying anything as evryy system will use dif methods, aipasia can and will take over your tank Tust me an. If it does your in for alon of work.....trust me I've been battling aiptasia in tanks of all sizes with as many as a 1000 heads......IMO if left untouched you will lose alotnof coral.

Goodluck you guys:)

Capt_kulafu
11-26-2010, 02:19 PM
lemon>>>> is good they died already!!!:mrgreen:

thank again guys!!

reefwars
11-26-2010, 02:35 PM
lemon>>>> is good they died already!!!:mrgreen:

thank again guys!!

It really does work well some may need to be gotten twice if they don't get enough the first time:) glad you licked ut now for future reference keep an eye out fit mojano anemones they usually hitch hike on corals but like aiptasia they move around abd spread and sting corals so keep an eye out for those as well;):)

Capt_kulafu
11-26-2010, 03:32 PM
thanks reefwars!!

Doug
11-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Did you wish this moved from the buy/sell forum to the general for more discussion?

donlite
11-26-2010, 05:59 PM
I don't suggest anyone do this but I used a 100w LED driver with 24 volt output and connected 2 wire leeds to it and put it on the end of a plastic rod. I stripped the end of the wires and placed them 1/8" apart. It took me 30 minutes to kill at least 50 aiptasia. You have to make sure you don't put your hand in the water and you connect it up to a wall plug with ground fault protection. Working with water and electricity is very dangerous and nobody should try this.:cry:

reefwars
11-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Did you wish this moved from the buy/sell forum to the general for more discussion?

Good idea , there's always discussions and questions to be had when dealing with aiptasia:) and it should be somewhere where it will be seen instead of the buy/sell forum:)

Madreefer
11-26-2010, 10:24 PM
I don't suggest anyone do this but I used a 100w LED driver with 24 volt output and connected 2 wire leeds to it and put it on the end of a plastic rod. I stripped the end of the wires and placed them 1/8" apart. It took me 30 minutes to kill at least 50 aiptasia. You have to make sure you don't put your hand in the water and you connect it up to a wall plug with ground fault protection. Working with water and electricity is very dangerous and nobody should try this.:cry:

Nuts! Build one of those zappers. It's really easy to do for under $20 and no chance of making your hair frizzle.

donlite
11-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Please move to best place