PDA

View Full Version : Bergia Nudibranches in Calgary?

DaveWilson
11-24-2010, 08:55 PM
We're having a bit of an aiptasia problem in our 55 gallon reef setup, and we were wondering if there is anyone or any shop that might have some Bergia Nudibranches in or around the Calgary area? Thanks,

Dave

Magma
11-24-2010, 08:58 PM
I am also wondering this, i know red coral has peppermint shrimp in stock that might help with the aiptasia problem

chainman
11-24-2010, 09:48 PM
I bought a matted filefish from Red Coral, and it cleaned out all the aptasia in a few days. Highly recommended!

tuck
11-24-2010, 11:08 PM
I've been thinking of a filefish to help with my aptasia problem but I'm concerned with what else they may eat, snails, crabs, shrimp, corals. Is this a realistic concern?

chainman
11-24-2010, 11:51 PM
He hasn't touched anything else, so I'm guessing if you just keep them fed with mysis shrimp and other meaty things, it should help keep them from grazing on other things.

reefwars
11-25-2010, 12:09 AM
I've been thinking of a filefish to help with my aptasia problem but I'm concerned with what else they may eat, snails, crabs, shrimp, corals. Is this a realistic concern?

100% hit or miss nothing to do with being well fed, mine is over fed and still nips at my zoas and lps...hes taken huge chunks out of my candycane but has almost cleaned out my tank of aiptasia. i also had one for quite a while before and he never ate anything but frozen and aiptasia ,didnt touch any coral and he was an adult.the one i have now is a juvie.so be warned its def hit or miss they are not reefsafe and if you get one that is well behaved then good but if you dont then your in the same boat as me waiting for him to finish then out he goes ....free to someone else who wants to watch him eat their stuff:):) cheers

reefwars
11-25-2010, 12:12 AM
We're having a bit of an aiptasia problem in our 55 gallon reef setup, and we were wondering if there is anyone or any shop that might have some Bergia Nudibranches in or around the Calgary area? Thanks,

Dave

slow process and ideally you would raise enough first for your system.i had 3 and got a batch of fry of around 20 then waited for a bit for them to grow and in the tank they went. its my understanding that they dont do the job over night they also get lost easily.:):) if you dont have any predators maybe peppermint shrimp are your best choice??:):)

reefwars
11-25-2010, 12:14 AM
i also get em with lemon juice and a syringe works great some need to be jabbed twice but between my file fish and my lemons im down to around 50 heads from 300 in a 33g in less than 3 weeks:):)

DaveWilson
11-27-2010, 05:08 PM
For a while we've been attacking them with the lemon juice and a needle but they just seem to come right back, and they seem to do so faster and bigger than the last time. We were sold a copper banded butterfly fish to help take care of them but he hasn't touched any of them yet, and we've now heard that they can be a difficult fish to take care of. We've heard really good things about berghia's, but apparently they are pretty hard to find it seems