PDA

View Full Version : Angels in the Reef Aquarium

Juicy
11-24-2010, 04:19 PM
I have a 280 gallon somewhat reef tank, by somewhat I mean I have a few corals that have survived over the years but no where near what the majority of you have. I really enjoy angel fish and am looking at getting some of the larger ones. I have seen some threads and other pictures where beautiful reef tanks house some large angel fish and they seem to have no problems with the fish eating everything. I guess my question is have any of you housed large angles with coral? If so have you had any luck? and which ones would you recommend? Oh and what kind of coral do they eat or avoid?
Thanks.

ScubaSteve
11-24-2010, 04:30 PM
It is possible to keep angels with SPS, even the big ones. Case in point is Copp's amazing reef (http://glassbox-design.com/2010/coppolino-copps-reef-angelfish-video/). I wouldn't say it's easy to achieve but it is achievable. Poke around glassbox design for an article on how to train angels using clam shells (I posted it here as well in a thread called " stop fish from picking or nipping corals" or something to that effect).

Juicy
11-24-2010, 04:42 PM
Yea wow that is pretty impressive.

tang daddy
11-24-2010, 06:27 PM
I know angels eat zoos, sponges, brains, frogspawn and sometimes will pick on clams, they leave sps, mushrooms, anemone and fungia alone. I think it depends on the individual fish and how well it's fed.

Bigger angels need to eat alot and more frequently lime 3-5 times daily, when they are hungry they are more likely to sample coral.

Stones
11-24-2010, 07:16 PM
I've had a regal angel in the past and still have a majestic angel in a full blown reef tank. The only corals they ever bothered were zoas/palys and my clams. Most of my corals are SPS but I do have several euphyllia species in the tank that were not bothered by the angels. I'm assuming "meatier" corals such as brains, acans, or blastos however may get nibbled on occasionally as well.

Large angels are truly stunning fish and once you've had one, you'll likely never go without having one in your reef tank again, despite the advanced level of care needed as well as their appetite for certain species of coral.

BlueWorldAquatic
11-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Most dwarf angels will be safe, as long as they are fed regularely. Not a guarentee though.

If you have clams, beware.

Flame, coral beauties, pyramid, etc...

regal, queens, and other large ones are bad.

Ken - BWA

Lance
11-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Have you thought about any of the deep-water Angels? (Genicanthus sp.) Deep-water Angels are usually more reef safe. I have a Lamarck's that is a model citizen. I'm also considering a pair of Bellus Angels.

Juicy
11-24-2010, 10:39 PM
I have looked at those and the Japanese Swallow tail. I have a coral beauty and he seems to not bother any of the coral I have. It just sucks that all the real cool looking and colorful fish seem to be non reef safe. I was thinking of just switching over to a FOWLR tank and getting some neat fish. Maybe down the road when I have more time I can attempt a complete reef tank.

naesco
11-25-2010, 12:16 AM
[QUOTE=Juicy;567711]I have a 280 gallon somewhat reef tank, by somewhat I mean I have a few corals that have survived over the years but no where near what the majority of you have. I really enjoy angel fish and am looking at getting some of the larger ones. I have seen some threads and other pictures where beautiful reef tanks house some large angel fish and they seem to have no problems with the fish eating everything. I guess my question is have any of you housed large angles with coral? If so have you had any luck? and which ones would you recommend? Oh and what kind of coral do they eat or avoid?
Thanks.[/Q
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/1/fish/view?searchterm=stunted

This is part 1 of a 2 part discussion on angelfish by a very experienced reefer.
Hope this helps you decide which are the best for your tank, Juicy.

kaboom
11-25-2010, 12:33 AM
IME, i've had Emperor, Regal, Majestic, Asfur, Flame, and Flameback. The large angels seem to not care for SPS, never did any damage. They love zoas/palys, and meaty corals. Dwarfe angels on the other hand were a constant bothersome to SPS, and nipped at pratically every corals in the tank. I now keep mainly sps with plantivors but soon to regal and majestic. I would never place a dwarf angel in a reef again.

Juicy
11-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the posts to everyone who posted and thanks for the read naesco. There is alot of information in there for sure and it should help in the process.
Thanks.