PDA

View Full Version : Black and White Maxima Clam

BlueTang<3
11-24-2010, 01:05 PM
Any one else have one out there. Picked up a very small one last night looks a lot like a ora zebra maxima. I think i am going to either going to dose phyto into the tank or take him out every few days for a phyto bath any suggestions? I will post pics later. :smile:

Myka
11-24-2010, 01:24 PM
How small?

muck
11-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Is it later yet Wes? :twised:

michika
11-24-2010, 06:06 PM
I'm so jealous! Do baths, they're more effective if done right.

daniella3d
11-24-2010, 07:44 PM
really? any info on that?

I'm so jealous! Do baths, they're more effective if done right.

michika
11-24-2010, 08:19 PM
Just a pile of personal experience.

Put the clams on a rock and then in a container, like an old ziplock or glad disposable one. I used to just lift the container up so the clam remains submerged, then I'd add in a small amount of phyto, and leave the clam to calm down, and take it in before returning it to the tank. An alternative is just cutting off the top of a pop bottle, drilling a hole for airline tubing in the lid and using that as a feeding device. I just put the bottle around the clam and with a syringe push the phyto into the bottle. It keeps the phyto localized and allows the clam to feed on the concentrated phyto-water in the bottle.

The problem with just feeding your tank phyto is that it doesn't necessarily make it to your clam, and you run the risk of wasting the phyto by overdosing. It also makes your skimmer go nuts. I found it too tricky to target feed my clams when it just goes right into the system.

fkshiu
11-24-2010, 08:34 PM
Got a pic?

Some gold maximas look a lot like B&Ws when they are young. Their gold colour develops as the clam grows. I've been unsuccessfully looking for a true B&W maxima in Canada for years now. If it is in fact a true B&W maxima then this is big news (at least for me).

BlueTang<3
11-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Well it is now later :smile:. They are small probably toonie sized. I am sure hoping he turns out to be back and white not gold. Cause for his price i thought he was gold :redface:.

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy171/bluetang3/PB240002.jpg

It is hard to tell but in person he is a lot blacker looking.

BlueTang<3
11-24-2010, 10:01 PM
You may notice mantle is nipped on the yellow tang in the store was picking on him. Seems to have had no ill effect.

Canadian
11-25-2010, 12:47 AM
Regarding attempts at feeding tridacnid clams and other related myths:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/7/inverts/view?searchterm=None

BlueTang<3
11-25-2010, 01:14 AM
Great article thanks.

untamed
11-25-2010, 01:28 AM
I've only owned 4 clams...One lasted 13+ years, another 4 years, one only 2 months and the last is still going at 4 years. I've never fed them specifically. I don't know what I could conclude from that...

BlueTang<3
11-25-2010, 02:05 AM
I now have 12 never fed one ever. I was just told from the size of these ones that it would be recommended. I will see how it plays out.

michika
11-25-2010, 12:13 PM
I only feed the tiny ones until they hit the 2" mark, then they seem to be just fine on their own. I do because I've done a lot of reading on clam propagation and rearing, and my personal experience dictates that target feeding the smaller clams work out to a better survival rate in my tanks. To each their own though. I've had as many as 25 clams at one point, and don't do anything for them other then water quality, placement and lighting.

hound96
11-25-2010, 02:33 PM
i have 6 and one is small like wes' it is an electric blue maxima and shy of once a week doses of reef solution and not rinsing my frozen food thats all i seem to need