PDA

View Full Version : help finding home for Yellow Headed Sleeper Goby in the Okanagan

bkelly
11-24-2010, 04:36 AM
I have a Yellow headed sleeper Goby That looks to be starving. The tank its in can not support it and my larger tank is heavily stocked with coral, im also concerned about the sleeper goby competing with my Mandarin dragonnet for food in that tank. Its a really great fish and I just can sit and watch it starve. Is there anyone in the okanagan with a proper system for this sort of fish that can give it a home. The fish is free but must go into an established larger tank with a good sand bed and appropriate tank mates - recommend not a full on reef system - it sifts sand all over. So kinda wishful thinking but its almost christmas.
Let me know if you can help.
Thanks

daniella3d
11-24-2010, 04:55 AM
Starving? Can't you feed it??

Mine was eating mysis, brine, blodworms and just about any frozen food.

I have a Yellow headed sleeper Goby That looks to be starving. The tank its in can not support it and my larger tank is heavily stocked with coral, im also concerned about the sleeper goby competing with my Mandarin dragonnet for food in that tank. Its a really great fish and I just can sit and watch it starve. Is there anyone in the okanagan with a proper system for this sort of fish that can give it a home. The fish is free but must go into an established larger tank with a good sand bed and appropriate tank mates - recommend not a full on reef system - it sifts sand all over. So kinda wishful thinking but its almost christmas.
Let me know if you can help.
Thanks

bkelly
11-24-2010, 05:03 AM
yea it has taken a bit of Mysis during feeding over the month ive had it but from the looks of it not enough, from what ive read some take some starve it need the sand bed to really feed itself. This one has a recessed stomach although still active and filtering sand, just my tank probably is too small for it and not mature enough. Live and learn, so im asking if someone can take it on.

bkelly
11-24-2010, 05:48 AM
ill try mixing his diet more with different frozen meals ( he doesnt seem interested in flake food) and feed him like I feed my watchman goby with a baster, seems like the same sort of slow eater that cant compete for food hopefully i can get him more into eating the frozen food, if not i can try putting him into my 75 gal tank.

daniella3d
11-24-2010, 07:59 PM
I put mine on kijiji and it was sold in an instant.

Mine was eating everything and anything I would put in the water. He was even wanting to swallow the pipette I was feeding the fish with. It was funny to watch him chew on the food.

He ate frozen mysis, blodworms and fish roe (caplan egg or masago found on sushi).

Try to buy some masago (orange eggs) at some sushi shop and try that. All my fish go nuts for these.

ill try mixing his diet more with different frozen meals ( he doesnt seem interested in flake food) and feed him like I feed my watchman goby with a baster, seems like the same sort of slow eater that cant compete for food hopefully i can get him more into eating the frozen food, if not i can try putting him into my 75 gal tank.

bkelly
11-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Thanks I was watching him feed last night and he seems to take mysis/brine in but passes it right through his gills/ doesnt swallow it. ill try the roe; they are a messy fish hey.

Frankly Canadian
11-25-2010, 11:57 PM
How long have you had him? and are you sure he's not sick? I'm kinda interested in helping you out however I don't want to add anything to my tank that will hurt it. My tank is a year and a half old 75g w/30g sump coralife 125 skimmer and UV light aswell 100lb live rock and a 4" sand bed. I haven't bought any fish for over a year and my community get along great. 1-yellow tang 1-scooter blenny 1-tomato clown 1-percula clown 1- royal gamma 1- six line wrasse 1- blue green cromis 1- yellow tail damsel. Anyways my sand has a bit of brown detritus that builds up and I vacume it up weekly but I think this yellow headed sleeper goby might help with that. I feed my fish flake, brine shrimp, and pacifica plankton a little bit each day and I dose my tank with coral snow each day aswell. Let me know and maybe we can work something out.

bkelly
11-26-2010, 12:38 AM
thanks for the offer, he died today, wasnt eating, they can get worms but i had him 1 month so who knows

Frankly Canadian
11-26-2010, 02:51 AM
sorry to hear that.