PDA

View Full Version : MIA Shrimp

foreveringlass
11-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Can anyone shed light on what may have happened to my cleaner shrimp? He has been missing for quite some time now. I first thought he was in hiding, but I have lost hope now. He had been very happy and healthy. He molted regularly and all the fish would visit daily for their cleaning. I have 2 clowns, 2 yellow tail damsels, a sand sifting goby, a blue tuxedo urchin and some hermit crabs and snails. I also had a coral beauty, which has since died. Does any one know what could have happened?

Wayne
11-23-2010, 10:36 PM
Only one way to say for sure and thats to start moving rock. How long has he been missing? Should have seen a shell...

reefwars
11-23-2010, 10:42 PM
wouldnt rule out him being in your sump or overflow or filter if you have one:):)

bignose
11-24-2010, 02:29 AM
Shrimp have short lifespans it could have died. Do you know how old was it?

foreveringlass
11-24-2010, 03:07 AM
I had the poor guy less than 6 months. There was no rogue body parts. I have torn apart most of the rock. I am stumped, I have been expecting body parts for over a month now.

intarsiabox
11-24-2010, 03:14 AM
If it did die the hermit crabs may have taken care of any body parts. I had a 75g years back and every week something would just disappear without a trace. Never found a mantis or anything. I even had a 2 year old yellow tang disappear one night and after dismantling all the rocks the next morning not even a trace of a body.

foreveringlass
11-24-2010, 03:18 AM
Thanks for the help everyone! I'm going to chalk it up to an effective clean up crew.

Douglas
11-24-2010, 08:47 PM
A suggestion would be to grab a flashlight, and check you tank a night. I have a cleaner shrimp, i never see. But at night, I can catch him with the flashlight. My last shrimp, was out all the time. but this one, only at night.

foreveringlass
11-25-2010, 01:22 PM
THanks for the tip. Tried last night with no success, but I will try another few times.