PDA

View Full Version : Lighting terminology and these any good?

mark
12-11-2003, 07:28 PM
Are HO compact florescent same as PC?

Seen these for $189 (36") and $206 (48"), comes with 2-55W 9325°K bulbs.

http://www.oceanicsystems.com/products_lighting.html

Jason McK
12-11-2003, 10:58 PM
Ya HO and PC are the same thing.
Now if they are good or not depends on what you want to keep in you aquarium and how big it is. I used two of these units when I first started and I would say they are good for Soft corals like Mushrooms / Zoos / Leathers and fish of course. If you wanted anything else in the tank I would really consider MH or at least VHO

J

mark
12-12-2003, 01:42 AM
Have a 75g with 2-40W NO and hoping to add some Zoo. Looking into to using the PCs as base of a retro (remounting ballast).

StirCrazy
12-13-2003, 03:58 PM
PC's can be used for other types of coral you just have to do your research and select the lower lighting types of corals like digitata and such.

Steve

Bob I
12-13-2003, 04:33 PM
PC's can be used for other types of coral you just have to do your research and select the lower lighting types of corals like digitata and such.

Steve

That is true, my newly acquired Green Digitata looks like it will be fine :biggrin: , but my new blue Staghorn looks like it will soon be brown :cry:

BTW, I have used the 9325K tubes, and have to tell you that the tubes give a very pink light.. They are also around 3500 Lumens which is not very bright. You may want to take that under consideration before you buy it. Also FYI, the Allglass strip lights use the same tubes. You might want to go to your local Big Al's and have a look. At least that is where I bought my fixture. :mrgreen: