PDA

View Full Version : Asterina Pest- Any wrasse that will eat them?

mechano
11-23-2010, 12:19 AM
Hello, I am starting to notice a lot more asterina starfish in my take as of recent. My tank set up includes a mixed reef type tank with some "reef safe" predatory fish eg. Niger trigger, Volitan at present. I am looking for a species of wrasse or other type of fish for that matter that will decimate my asterina population.
ANY SUGGESTIONS? Anyone know if a Twin-spot maori wrasse or similar species that eats starfish?
Any help would be appreciated as I am tired of looking at all the white blotches of coraline that these guys are eating. Thanks for the help in advance guys/girls.
Oh yeah, My tank is 85 gallons so nothing too large!

Ryan

PoonTang
11-23-2010, 12:21 AM
Harlequin shrimp will eat them but make sure you dont starve them to death when they are finished them.

Zoaelite
11-23-2010, 12:27 AM
Harlequin shrimp will eat them but make sure you dont starve them to death when they are finished them.

It's a real hit or miss for harlequin's eating them, mine personally didn't touch them.

BlueTang<3
11-23-2010, 12:30 AM
tusk fish they will get anything. :twised::twised:

mechano
11-23-2010, 12:39 AM
NO to the harlequins as I have a Volitan and triggerfish which will make short work of the shrimp(s)

+++ to the tuskfish tho. That would make a very colourful addtion to my DT...I think we are on the right track for sure. Do you know for sure that these guys will eat asterina BLUETANG<3?

BlueTang<3
11-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Yeah they will eat any crabs, starfish or snails.

toytech
11-23-2010, 05:28 AM
have you tried eating them ? That works , or you could just scoop them out at night when they all climb up on the glass after lights off , i had TONNES OF THEM and thats what they did , made it easy to remove them

naesco
11-23-2010, 05:40 AM
Hello, I am starting to notice a lot more asterina starfish in my take as of recent. My tank set up includes a mixed reef type tank with some "reef safe" predatory fish eg. Niger trigger, Volitan at present. I am looking for a species of wrasse or other type of fish for that matter that will decimate my asterina population.
ANY SUGGESTIONS? Anyone know if a Twin-spot maori wrasse or similar species that eats starfish?
Any help would be appreciated as I am tired of looking at all the white blotches of coraline that these guys are eating. Thanks for the help in advance guys/girls.
Oh yeah, My tank is 85 gallons so nothing too large!

Ryan

Great Ryan you have a healthy reef. They seem to disappear for a while and than come back.
I would not worry about them and would not recommend you get a fish to deal with them unless you are going to get the fish anyway.

mechano
11-23-2010, 11:10 AM
was planning on a a new fish anyhow, so just gonna do a little more research and see whats out there. thanks

Nihoa
11-24-2010, 02:47 PM
my mystery wrasse eats them. he doesnt have the easiest time swallowing them but he eventually gets them down.

tang daddy
11-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Asterina stars are harmless and eat algae... They can sometimes be unsightly on your glass but they don't harm anything, I use to wNt to take them out but now give it to people that visit my house

Reefer Rob
11-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Asterina stars are harmless and eat algae... They can sometimes be unsightly on your glass but they don't harm anything, I use to wNt to take them out but now give it to people that visit my house

You never gave me one :sad:

mechano
11-24-2010, 09:21 PM
cool. definitely a nice fish, but am unsure about that choice as I have a volitan lionfish who will probably eat a wrasse that size. lol