PDA

View Full Version : Durso Style Drain Whistling

Wayne
11-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Hello all my Durso style drain started to whistle. The only thing that I changed was I added T's to the bottom of the drain tubes. The one end on the drain pipe, one end in the sump and one thats open to air. This was added as an attempt to reduce bubbles in the sump... didn't work, just more noise.

This mourning it started to whistle, I checked the hole on the top and it was unplugged. I have no other ideas. Thanks!

BlueTang<3
11-22-2010, 11:21 PM
My suggestion is more venting drill multiple small holes and then if you do to many glue or epoxy the in. I used 3/16" drill bits and got like 6 holes in my standpipe.

Lampshade
11-22-2010, 11:24 PM
I opened up one hole on mine and the flow rate went down..way down, i nearly topped my tank. Good idea with the epoxy and multiple holes, I'll do the same. Thanks for the idea :D

Wayne
11-22-2010, 11:38 PM
I will drill another hole, I already have a 1/4" hole there and it has been like this without problem for months now. I can't really see why my addition to the end of the pipe would change anything. I may also plug the open to air end and see if that helps.

Anyone know more about putting T's on the end. I heard it would help and I had nothing to do Sunday... Idle hands... :lol:

BlueTang<3
11-22-2010, 11:40 PM
I am kinda lost you added a tee so you had a vent above the water line off your drain? I have tweaked with mine a lot to get it silent. i would remove the tee and just have your drain under water with the venting in the standpipe.

Lampshade
11-23-2010, 12:39 AM
There's a thread on RC about the Tee in the sump vented to air. It was someone's anit-herbie thread. But anyways.. seems like it worked for some people, most it didn't. It can actually increase the air if you have enough flow from thew venturi effect. What your hoping to happen with the Tee is that your water is moving slow enough that the bubbles can rise in the flowing pipe out of the Tee. This is not common on most systems because of high flow.

I have my 2 duroso's set up in a semi-herbi method where one is gate valved and has 0 bubbles since it's mostly submerged(going to refugium). The other one pulls in LOTS of bubbles, but it's into my skimmer chamber so i don't mind.

The reason duroso's are quiet at the tank level is because they help the pressure differance(gurgling) by venting the top, adding air to combat the lost pressure from the water falling. A bubble free duroso isn't working as a duroso, it's just full of water.

So technically to make a duroso bubble free you have to balance your return pump/drain lines to have enough water to keep your drains full at all times(making it a herbie). The only issue with this is that if you drain line becomes restricted in any way, you will overflow your tank. That's why the herbie has the emergancy drain.

I threw a filter sock on my skimmer drain line, i wanted to avoid filter socks, but until i drill an extra hole in my running tank it seems like the only option to have 0 bubbles.

Wayne
11-23-2010, 01:21 AM
There's a thread on RC about the Tee in the sump vented to air. It was someone's anit-herbie thread. But anyways.. seems like it worked for some people, most it didn't. It can actually increase the air if you have enough flow from thew venturi effect. What your hoping to happen with the Tee is that your water is moving slow enough that the bubbles can rise in the flowing pipe out of the Tee. This is not common on most systems because of high flow.

I have my 2 duroso's set up in a semi-herbi method where one is gate valved and has 0 bubbles since it's mostly submerged(going to refugium). The other one pulls in LOTS of bubbles, but it's into my skimmer chamber so i don't mind.

The reason duroso's are quiet at the tank level is because they help the pressure differance(gurgling) by venting the top, adding air to combat the lost pressure from the water falling. A bubble free duroso isn't working as a duroso, it's just full of water.

So technically to make a duroso bubble free you have to balance your return pump/drain lines to have enough water to keep your drains full at all times(making it a herbie). The only issue with this is that if you drain line becomes restricted in any way, you will overflow your tank. That's why the herbie has the emergancy drain.

I threw a filter sock on my skimmer drain line, i wanted to avoid filter socks, but until i drill an extra hole in my running tank it seems like the only option to have 0 bubbles.

AH ha thats exactly what I mean! I will post a picture in a few minutes of what I did :)

Wayne
11-23-2010, 01:34 AM
http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy22/Racing_Rush/IMG_3010.jpg

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy22/Racing_Rush/IMG_3009.jpg

I ended up replacing the pipe that was making the whistling noise with the old one and the noise went away. Heres the difference in bubbles, way more on the the right hand side:

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy22/Racing_Rush/IMG_3012.jpg

Lampshade
11-23-2010, 01:55 AM
Oh wow, that's way better. Nothing's comming out of the Tee, so that's proabbly sucking air in and making it worse. At the top of my duroso I've extended the down spout a bit where the water is drawn in. I threw a 5" piece of PVC on there just to bring the intake below the bubbles entering the overflow, might help a bit, but air's still added in the air holes at the top.

With the tee I wonder if adding a gate at the bottom and a piece of pipe going up would work. And adjudst the gate valve to make the Tee JUST start to flow over. Like this:

Tank
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |....__
| |....| |
| |....| | <Sump Water Line somewhere around here
| |__| |
| ____|
| |
| |
|X| <--Gate Valve
| |
| |
| |

intarsiabox
11-23-2010, 02:05 AM
Wayne, have you tried throttling down your return pump? I have tons of bubbles on the intake side of my sump but most are gone before they even get to the first divider. I was having lots of micro bubbles at first getting into the display tank but after tweaking the return pump discharge they all disappeared. My set up is nothing special, just a regular durso pipe with a hole in the top and then another 1/4" hole in the pipe just above the water surface (eliminates surging) and the pipe extends about 3" into the sump water.

Wayne
11-23-2010, 02:37 AM
Wayne, have you tried throttling down your return pump? I have tons of bubbles on the intake side of my sump but most are gone before they even get to the first divider. I was having lots of micro bubbles at first getting into the display tank but after tweaking the return pump discharge they all disappeared. My set up is nothing special, just a regular durso pipe with a hole in the top and then another 1/4" hole in the pipe just above the water surface (eliminates surging) and the pipe extends about 3" into the sump water.

Just did right now. Definate reduction in bubbles, I of course set it to max and then installed :lol:. Seems to help, did you ever get a draining sound when you had this tank?

intarsiabox
11-23-2010, 02:53 AM
I did until I drilled the hole in the pipe just above the water line, after that it was quiet. Water does come out the hole though, so if you try it make sure the hole points into the tank.

Wayne
11-23-2010, 02:57 AM
I did until I drilled the hole in the pipe just above the water line, after that it was quiet. Water does come out the hole though, so if you try it make sure the hole points into the tank.

Which water line? Was the hole in this flex line with the plastic screw in it? Cause I didn't know where this pipe connected to :)

intarsiabox
11-23-2010, 11:47 AM
I think it was the line with the screw in it. It has a very course thread that I was using to adjust water/air flow but the screw is not needed. The line I drilled is the drain line from the DT just above the water line.